1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sophos Says IE8 IS Affected

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alias, Jan 16, 2010.

  1. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm

    From the article:

    "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."

    --
    Alias
     
  2. Frank

    Frank Flightless Bird

    Alias wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >
    > From the article:
    >
    > "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    > did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    > on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."
    >

    Yawn.
     
  3. Conor

    Conor Flightless Bird

    In article <hitjb0$lpk$2@news.eternal-september.org>, Alias says...
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >
    > From the article:
    >
    > "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    > did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    > on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."


    If you dislike Windows so much, why are you posting/x-posting to a
    Windows group?

    --
    Conor
    www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

    I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
     
  4. Death

    Death Flightless Bird

    Conor wrote:

    > In article <hitjb0$lpk$2@news.eternal-september.org>, Alias says...
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >>
    >> From the article:
    >>
    >> "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    >> did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    >> on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."

    >
    > If you dislike Windows so much, why are you posting/x-posting to a
    > Windows group?
    >


    Because T-Bird is the only useful program in Linux for him.
    And solitaire looks like crap in gnome.

    --
    Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
    Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.
     
  5. RonB

    RonB Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:48:01 +0000, Conor wrote:

    > In article <hitjb0$lpk$2@news.eternal-september.org>, Alias says...
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >>
    >> From the article:
    >>
    >> "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    >> did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the
    >> instructions on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the
    >> internet."

    >
    > If you dislike Windows so much, why are you posting/x-posting to a
    > Windows group?


    It takes two to crosspost -- especially when threads have been going on
    for as long as couple of these have. I know I didn't start it -- and I'm
    pretty "alias" didn't either.

    The question I have is why are WinTrolls who infest COLA so damned
    interested in Linux?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"
     
  6. Frank

    Frank Flightless Bird

    RonB wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:48:01 +0000, Conor wrote:
    >
    >> In article <hitjb0$lpk$2@news.eternal-september.org>, Alias says...
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >>>
    >>> From the article:
    >>>
    >>> "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    >>> did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the
    >>> instructions on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the
    >>> internet."

    >> If you dislike Windows so much, why are you posting/x-posting to a
    >> Windows group?

    >
    > It takes two to crosspost -- especially when threads have been going on
    > for as long as couple of these have. I know I didn't start it -- and I'm
    > pretty "alias" didn't either.


    alias, aka cody started it.
    >
    > The question I have is why are WinTrolls who infest COLA so damned
    > interested in Linux?
    >
     
  7. Canuck57

    Canuck57 Flightless Bird

    On 16/01/2010 4:49 PM, Alias wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >
    > From the article:
    >
    > "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    > did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    > on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."


    It is:

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10435232-245.html

    IE is backdooring companies all over, and attackers are motivated to
    reap the rewards of intellectual property collection. Which usually
    means more exploits coming.

    I though net versions of IE were supposed to be immune to this crap?
    Using Vista / Win 7 chroot type jails for the code. Guess it was just
    more BS.

    And Google using IE instead of Chrome...priceless. Just like many a
    Microsoft use Firefox.
     
  8. NY Teacher

    NY Teacher Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <Alias@nospam.com.invalid> wrote in message
    news:hitjb0$lpk$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >
    > From the article:
    >
    > "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only did
    > the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions on
    > how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."
    >
    > --
    > Alias



    We get it, you don't like Microsoft. Here's an idea for you...ue something
    else. And shut up.


    NYT
     
  9. Frank

    Frank Flightless Bird

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > On 16/01/2010 4:49 PM, Alias wrote:
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >>
    >> From the article:
    >>
    >> "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    >> did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    >> on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."

    >
    > It is:
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10435232-245.html
    >
    > IE is backdooring companies all over, and attackers are motivated to
    > reap the rewards of intellectual property collection. Which usually
    > means more exploits coming.
    >
    > I though net versions of IE were supposed to be immune to this crap?
    > Using Vista / Win 7 chroot type jails for the code. Guess it was just
    > more BS.
    >
    > And Google using IE instead of Chrome...priceless. Just like many a
    > Microsoft use Firefox.
    >


    "Internet Explorer was one of the vectors"

    So who were the other "vectors"?

    ...."To date, Microsoft has not seen widespread customer impact, rather
    only targeted and limited attacks exploiting IE 6,"

    So what were the IT's of these companies doing?

    Obviously nothing more than collecting a paycheck.

    ...."Microsoft said the vulnerability in IE exists as an invalid pointer
    reference and that it could allow an attacker to take control of a
    computer if the target were duped into clicking on a link in an e-mail
    or an instant message that led to a Web site hosting malware. "It could
    also be possible to display specially crafted Web content using banner
    advertisements or other methods to deliver Web content to affected
    systems," Microsoft said in the statement."

    First thing I'd is fire the IT sons-of-bitches who didn't properly
    "lock-down" the companies computers/web browsers.
    Then I'd want to know WTF are we still using IE6!
     
  10. thanatoid

    thanatoid Flightless Bird

    "NY Teacher" <nyteacher@goschool.com> wrote in
    news:hits2h$b02$1@news.eternal-september.org:

    <SNIP>

    > We get it, you don't like Microsoft. Here's an idea for
    > you...ue something else. And shut up.


    Great spelling, teach! Never mind the "ue", didn't anyone ever
    tell you that since typewriters were replaced by computers, two
    spaces after a period are no longer the norm? And there was
    ALWAYS a space before ANYTHING following "..."

    SIGH.


    --
    There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
    and those that will break later.
    - Chuck Armstrong (This one I think, http://www.cleanreg.com/,
    not the ball player. But who knows. I can't remember where I got
    the quote. But it's true.)
     
  11. Joel

    Joel Flightless Bird

    Alias <Alias@nospam.com.invalid> wrote:

    >"Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    >did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    >on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."



    IE is a piece of crap, anyway - Firefox is clearly better. The
    security issues are only an extra reason not to use IE. That doesn't
    mean the entire *operating system* isn't worth using, though. MS
    hasn't punished me for ignoring IE on my machine. In fact, they have
    a WGA plugin for Firefox, so I can get their "Genuine Windows only"
    downloads with it.

    --
    Joel Crump
     
  12. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Conor wrote:
    > In article <hitjb0$lpk$2@news.eternal-september.org>, Alias says...
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >>
    >> From the article:
    >>
    >> "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    >> did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    >> on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."

    >
    > If you dislike Windows so much, why are you posting/x-posting to a
    > Windows group?
    >


    Just curious, how are you able to interpret a warning about virus
    attacks as hating Microsoft? This is a leap of logic. Being as you per
    your signature, you hate everybody, you're not one to be lecturing
    anyone on hate, sonny.

    --
    Alias
     
  13. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    NY Teacher wrote:
    > "Alias" <Alias@nospam.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:hitjb0$lpk$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    >>
    >> From the article:
    >>
    >> "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only did
    >> the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions on
    >> how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias

    >
    >
    > We get it, you don't like Microsoft.


    No, you don't get it. It's a warning and if you use Internet Explorer,
    you should take heed.

    > Here's an idea for you...ue something
    > else. And shut up.
    >
    >
    > NYT
    >
    >


    You're a teacher? What do you teach, physical education?

    --
    Alias
     
  14. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Joel wrote:
    > Alias <Alias@nospam.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> "Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    >> did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions
    >> on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."

    >
    >
    > IE is a piece of crap, anyway - Firefox is clearly better. The
    > security issues are only an extra reason not to use IE. That doesn't
    > mean the entire *operating system* isn't worth using, though. MS
    > hasn't punished me for ignoring IE on my machine. In fact, they have
    > a WGA plugin for Firefox, so I can get their "Genuine Windows only"
    > downloads with it.
    >


    My goodness, here's someone who actually understood the warning!

    --
    Alias
     
  15. Roland Schweiger

    Roland Schweiger Flightless Bird

    "Alias"
    > Just curious, how are you able to interpret a warning about virus attacks
    > as hating Microsoft? This is a leap of logic. Being as you per your
    > signature, you hate everybody, you're not one to be lecturing anyone on
    > hate, sonny.


    Because

    1.
    Most virus-warnings are complete nonsense and do not affect anyone at all.

    2.
    A so-called "virus" is not the fault of any OS or browser or platform or
    whatsoever.
    If i wanted to harm someone, i could write some kind of MalWare for ANY
    OPERATING SYSTEM.

    3.
    The recomendation for using other browsers instead of IE "because they are
    safer" is simply blunt primitive publicity and we certainly get the feeling
    here that you just hate MS products, because they are so good and so easy to
    use and integrate.
    full stop.
     
  16. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Roland Schweiger wrote:
    > "Alias"
    >> Just curious, how are you able to interpret a warning about virus
    >> attacks as hating Microsoft? This is a leap of logic. Being as you per
    >> your signature, you hate everybody, you're not one to be lecturing
    >> anyone on hate, sonny.

    >
    > Because
    >
    > 1.
    > Most virus-warnings are complete nonsense and do not affect anyone at all.
    >
    > 2.
    > A so-called "virus" is not the fault of any OS or browser or platform or
    > whatsoever.
    > If i wanted to harm someone, i could write some kind of MalWare for ANY
    > OPERATING SYSTEM.
    >
    > 3.
    > The recomendation for using other browsers instead of IE "because they
    > are safer" is simply blunt primitive publicity and we certainly get the
    > feeling here that you just hate MS products, because they are so good
    > and so easy to use and integrate.
    > full stop.
    >


    More leaps of logic. This seems to be a flaw that a lot of Windows users
    have that post to news groups.

    --
    Alias
     
  17. Death

    Death Flightless Bird

    Alias wrote:

    > Roland Schweiger wrote:
    >> "Alias"
    >>> Just curious, how are you able to interpret a warning about virus
    >>> attacks as hating Microsoft? This is a leap of logic. Being as you per
    >>> your signature, you hate everybody, you're not one to be lecturing
    >>> anyone on hate, sonny.

    >>
    >> Because
    >>
    >> 1.
    >> Most virus-warnings are complete nonsense and do not affect anyone at all.
    >>
    >> 2.
    >> A so-called "virus" is not the fault of any OS or browser or platform or
    >> whatsoever.
    >> If i wanted to harm someone, i could write some kind of MalWare for ANY
    >> OPERATING SYSTEM.
    >>
    >> 3.
    >> The recomendation for using other browsers instead of IE "because they
    >> are safer" is simply blunt primitive publicity and we certainly get the
    >> feeling here that you just hate MS products, because they are so good
    >> and so easy to use and integrate.
    >> full stop.
    >>

    >
    > More leaps of logic. This seems to be a flaw that a lot of Windows users
    > have that post to news groups.
    >


    I'm running IE8.
    Can you post how we can test this infection?
    I'd like to try it out.

    --

    Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
    Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.
     
  18. DanS

    DanS Flightless Bird

    Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote in
    news:3vf5l599e9vhqudguvddqcnqhm6ed050r7@4ax.com:

    > Alias <Alias@nospam.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>"Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only
    >>did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the

    instructions
    >>on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet."

    >
    >
    > IE is a piece of crap, anyway - Firefox is clearly better. The
    > security issues are only an extra reason not to use IE. That doesn't
    > mean the entire *operating system* isn't worth using, though. MS
    > hasn't punished me for ignoring IE on my machine. In fact, they have
    > a WGA plugin for Firefox, so I can get their "Genuine Windows only"
    > downloads with it.


    But you still use the IE HTML engine for.......

    ......reading .chm help files.
    ......using MS e-mail programs such as Windows Mail or Outlook.
    ......MS Help & Support Center.
    ......many third-party programs use the IE engine as well, like
    QuickBooks, or AutoCAD, they both show limited functionality browser
    windows.
     
  19. Al Smith

    Al Smith Flightless Bird

    Alias wrote:
    > Roland Schweiger wrote:
    >> "Alias"
    >>> Just curious, how are you able to interpret a warning about virus
    >>> attacks as hating Microsoft? This is a leap of logic. Being as you
    >>> per your signature, you hate everybody, you're not one to be
    >>> lecturing anyone on hate, sonny.

    >>
    >> Because
    >>
    >> 1.
    >> Most virus-warnings are complete nonsense and do not affect anyone at
    >> all.
    >>
    >> 2.
    >> A so-called "virus" is not the fault of any OS or browser or platform
    >> or whatsoever.
    >> If i wanted to harm someone, i could write some kind of MalWare for
    >> ANY OPERATING SYSTEM.
    >>
    >> 3.
    >> The recomendation for using other browsers instead of IE "because they
    >> are safer" is simply blunt primitive publicity and we certainly get
    >> the feeling here that you just hate MS products, because they are so
    >> good and so easy to use and integrate.
    >> full stop.
    >>

    >
    > More leaps of logic. This seems to be a flaw that a lot of Windows users
    > have that post to news groups.
    >



    I just deactivated Internet Explorer 8 in my new Windows 7
    computer. Easy to do, and I never use it anyway. This should
    prevent it from starting up on its own, as it likes to do from
    time to time. Everything I've read on the Net says that Internet
    Explorer is more dangerous than other browsers, simply because so
    much malware is designed to exploit IE.

    -Al-
     
  20. NY Teacher

    NY Teacher Flightless Bird

    "thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D02EDA3FC284thanexit@188.40.43.245...
    > "NY Teacher" <nyteacher@goschool.com> wrote in
    > news:hits2h$b02$1@news.eternal-september.org:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> We get it, you don't like Microsoft. Here's an idea for
    >> you...ue something else. And shut up.

    >
    > Great spelling, teach! Never mind the "ue", didn't anyone ever
    > tell you that since typewriters were replaced by computers, two
    > spaces after a period are no longer the norm? And there was
    > ALWAYS a space before ANYTHING following "..."
    >
    > SIGH.


    Thanks for the information. It amazes me that people think teachers need to
    be "on" 24-7-365, always spelling everything correctly and always using the
    latest in typing norms, etc. Hey asshole, it is my day off and it is not
    worth my time to proofread a simple Usenet post.

    The "ue" and the missing space after the ellipsis were simple typos. No one
    should ever be criticized for a typo except for formal reports.

    Regarding the double space, this comes straight from:
    http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typespacing/a/onetwospaces.htm

    "The Bottomline: Professional typesetters, designers, and desktop publishers
    should use one space only. Save the double spaces for typewriting, email,
    term papers (if prescribed by the style guide you are using), or personal
    correspondence. For everyone else, do whatever makes you feel good."

    Seems like "the norm" you follow isn't a "norm" for this forum after all.

    Now, do you want to engage in a conversation about something that really
    matters, or are you the kind of person who only gets his/her rocks off by
    blindly criticizing others?

    NYT
     

Share This Page