1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sophos Says IE8 IS Affected

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alias, Jan 16, 2010.

  1. Hadron

    Hadron Flightless Bird

    RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> writes:

    > On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:52:55 -0500, Joel wrote:
    >
    >> Not really, since you don't need to use IE-based email programs, which
    >> are the only viable attack vector (and barely so - I use WLMail).

    >
    > You're not the average Windows user than. Let me restate this. The
    > exploitability of IE, and the fact that it is so deeply embedded in the
    > Windows OS, is another good reason for most Windows users to go to
    > Linux.


    Except it isn't.

    The parts you call "embedded" in the OS dont suddenly talk to virus
    ridden porn sites like your Windows system used to do when you claim you
    spent all day "fighting malware" ,.,. tugging the trouser snake more
    like.

    There are various alternatives to IE anyway as you know full well, in
    addition to its most restrctive security settings.

    I recommend google-chrome at the moment - faster than FF. They have done
    a great job with the Linux port.
     
  2. Some hoofed horn-beast named Al Smith wrote in
    news:bSE4n.61920$PH1.41066@edtnps82:

    > Alias wrote:
    >> Roland Schweiger wrote:
    >>> "Alias"
    >>>> Just curious, how are you able to interpret a warning about virus
    >>>> attacks as hating Microsoft? This is a leap of logic. Being as you
    >>>> per your signature, you hate everybody, you're not one to be
    >>>> lecturing anyone on hate, sonny.
    >>>
    >>> Because
    >>>
    >>> 1.
    >>> Most virus-warnings are complete nonsense and do not affect anyone at
    >>> all.
    >>>
    >>> 2.
    >>> A so-called "virus" is not the fault of any OS or browser or platform
    >>> or whatsoever.
    >>> If i wanted to harm someone, i could write some kind of MalWare for
    >>> ANY OPERATING SYSTEM.
    >>>
    >>> 3.
    >>> The recomendation for using other browsers instead of IE "because they
    >>> are safer" is simply blunt primitive publicity and we certainly get
    >>> the feeling here that you just hate MS products, because they are so
    >>> good and so easy to use and integrate. full stop.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> More leaps of logic. This seems to be a flaw that a lot of Windows
    >> users have that post to news groups.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I just deactivated Internet Explorer 8 in my new Windows 7 computer.
    > Easy to do, and I never use it anyway.


    So, if you never use it, why deactivate it?

    > This should prevent it from
    > starting up on its own,


    If you never use it, how do you know it starts up on its own?

    > as it likes to do from time to time.


    If you never use it, how do you know it likes to do what it it does?

    > Everything I've read on the Net


    Ah. The opinion of other fucktards weighs more than the the opinion of a
    single fucktard. Never mind facts, always punt for the most popular
    fucked up opinion. There's safety in large numbers, hey.

    London to a bucket of your potato-mashed brains says more people died in
    Haiti this week than will ever believe your techno-vodooo bullshit.

    --
    A test sig
     
  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Flightless Bird

    Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote in
    news:4k68l5ts5751kjiu2i4hhrbjuo0si7ak1h@4ax.com:

    > thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>>>> Interesting link. I've always used two spaces after
    >>>>> sentences, and now I feel pretty justified.
    >>>>
    >>>> Nice pun. Get it?
    >>>
    >>> Heh, not genuinely contextual

    >>
    >>Very well put. I couldn't have come up with that phrase.

    >
    >
    > I can't take an excessive amount of credit for being so
    > spontaneous with it - I enjoy catching myself making
    > unintended puns, and it seems to happen remarkably often,
    > but that's also led me to, routinely, critically analyze
    > their worthiness. This one was indeed good in that I
    > accidentally used another sense of a word from the article,
    > but I couldn't give myself too much credit due to the fact
    > (just to be totally redundant) that I don't use two spaces
    > for the purpose of justifying margins.


    Hee hee. Great stuff.

    Justifying is available in most DTP/WP programs but many people
    - me included believe it is harder to read, and depending on the
    quality of the program it can sometimes look REALLY bad.

    I have found it most useful when making a big sign with only 1-3
    words per line. Then it can be made to look really good, with
    the right font and judicious use of kerning and character width
    sizing.

    Cheers.
    t.



    --
    There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
    and those that will break later.
    - Chuck Armstrong (This one I think, http://www.cleanreg.com/,
    not the ball player. But who knows. I can't remember where I got
    the quote. But it's true.)
     
  4. thanatoid

    thanatoid Flightless Bird

    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?= <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de>
    wrote in news:hj1dsb$f66$00$1@news.t-online.com:

    > Joel wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlmann@t-online.de> wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Or just use a non-IE-based email program under Windows.
    >>>> Or use an IE-based one, and not click on unknown links
    >>>> in it.
    >>>
    >>>Translation: Let the user do the security work, while the
    >>>shitty IE is the real culprit

    >>
    >> So, you want the freedom to click on black-market-Viagra
    >> links (or something even more stupid) in your email
    >> software. Guess you should use Thunderbird (or whatever)
    >> under Windows ...

    >
    > Nope, Oh-Real-Stupid-One, I want the freedom to click on
    > links without worrying what malware will be on my computer
    > after that


    Get OffByOne. Javascript and flash won't work (and therefore
    many 'modern' sites won't either, but you can often click on the
    "view source" button and see what URL's are embedded, and
    use those to get around the stupid site design), but that is
    also one of several reasons it is the only 100% secure (AND the
    fastest) browser available. Also, no cache to worry about. One
    cookies file which can be deleted in a variety of ways.

    IE is fine to have on your system but ONLY to be used for
    viewing .chm files. Anyone going on the web with it is out of
    their mind.

    <SNIP>

    --
    There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
    and those that will break later.
    - Chuck Armstrong (This one I think, http://www.cleanreg.com/,
    not the ball player. But who knows. I can't remember where I got
    the quote. But it's true.)
     

Share This Page