Why are my COM objects not being instantiated (via the <object> tag) using ShowHTMLDialogEx from MSHTML.dll in Windows 7 (32bit) with IE8? The exact same application works perfectly in XPProSP3 with IE8 installed, but not with Windows7 IE8. I know that my COM objects are not being instantiated in W7 due to an error message that I have similar to this <object...>ERROR: ....</object>, and my error message is displayed. My COM objects are all marked safe for scripting, although not digitally signed, but that should not make any difference when using ShowHTMLDialogEx. In XP, ShowHTMLDialogEx effectively bypasses all "security checks", and allows scripts and COM to run without any prompts or other impedance, how can I get this to work in Windows7? I don't get any prompts displayed by IE8, but my page does load and is displayed, just without the objects that are supposed to be "alive" on the page. I have tried all sorts of things like Run as Administrator (even though the user account I'm logged in with is a member of the local machine's Administrators group), the permissions inherited from the parent folder are also Full Control. I have also tried creating a new local administrator user account. I have also tried setting all the zones in IE8 to the least secure settings - including Restricted sites. Nothing I have tried solves this problem. I am also very new to Windows7, so I'm very much out of my depth, but have been using IE8 in XP for quite a while.