1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does sigverif.exe do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mynick, Jan 5, 2010.

  1. mynick

    mynick Flightless Bird

    it is supposed to check file signatures
    against the certificates that were used to sign the files -is that
    enough to verify the signed driver is not corrupted?
     
  2. Bob I

    Bob I Flightless Bird

    No, that is not what it does.
    http://www.updatexp.com/sigverif-exe.html

    mynick wrote:

    > it is supposed to check file signatures
    > against the certificates that were used to sign the files -is that
    > enough to verify the signed driver is not corrupted?
     
  3. mynick

    mynick Flightless Bird

    On Jan 5, 8:43 pm, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > No, that is not what it does.http://www.updatexp.com/sigverif-exe.html
    >
    > mynick wrote:
    > > it is supposed to check file signatures
    > > against the certificates that were used to sign the files -is that
    > > enough to verify  the signed driver is not corrupted?


    a signature of the file includes a cheksum and
    since sigverif brings up file signature verification window saying-
    critical files have been digitaly signed so that any changes to these
    files can be quickly detected,
    sigverif can detect corrupt signed drivers
     
  4. Bob I

    Bob I Flightless Bird

    Since you can have the same checksum for different files your assumption
    is incorrect. It MIGHT indicate a corrupted file, and it might NOT.

    mynick wrote:

    > On Jan 5, 8:43 pm, Bob I <bire...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>No, that is not what it does.http://www.updatexp.com/sigverif-exe.html
    >>
    >>mynick wrote:
    >>
    >>>it is supposed to check file signatures
    >>>against the certificates that were used to sign the files -is that
    >>>enough to verify the signed driver is not corrupted?

    >
    >
    > a signature of the file includes a cheksum and
    > since sigverif brings up file signature verification window saying-
    > critical files have been digitaly signed so that any changes to these
    > files can be quickly detected,
    > sigverif can detect corrupt signed drivers
     

Share This Page