1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista Drivers Compatible With 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Don, Apr 16, 2010.

  1. Don

    Don Flightless Bird

    Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?

    Thanks
     
  2. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Flightless Bird

    Quite a few of them are but I would check with the manufacturer to see if
    they have specific drivers for Windows 7. For instance, a motherboard by
    ASUS that came with a Vista drivers CD, may have updated drivers for same
    MOBO on their site.



    "Don" <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    news:82s0afFh1vU1@mid.individual.net...
    > Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    > Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?
    >
    > Thanks
     
  3. Don

    Don Flightless Bird

    This is an Intel D945 series board. Intel has posted all of the Vista
    drivers for my board, but only the RAID driver specific to Windows 7. I
    may go to a reputable white box dealer I know and ask.


    On 04/16/2010 16:50, Bill Yanaire wrote:
    > Quite a few of them are but I would check with the manufacturer to see
    > if they have specific drivers for Windows 7. For instance, a motherboard
    > by ASUS that came with a Vista drivers CD, may have updated drivers for
    > same MOBO on their site.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Don" <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > news:82s0afFh1vU1@mid.individual.net...
    >> Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >> Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
     
  4. Bob

    Bob Flightless Bird

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:40:47 -0400, Don <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?
    >
    >Thanks


    Sometimes, but not always. It's more likely that a 32-bit driver will
    be compatible. Less so for 64-bit.
     
  5. relic

    relic Flightless Bird

    "Don" <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    news:82s53gFe2tU1@mid.individual.net...
    > This is an Intel D945 series board. Intel has posted all of the Vista
    > drivers for my board, but only the RAID driver specific to Windows 7. I
    > may go to a reputable white box dealer I know and ask.
    >
    >
    > On 04/16/2010 16:50, Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >> Quite a few of them are but I would check with the manufacturer to see
    >> if they have specific drivers for Windows 7. For instance, a motherboard
    >> by ASUS that came with a Vista drivers CD, may have updated drivers for
    >> same MOBO on their site.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Don" <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >> news:82s0afFh1vU1@mid.individual.net...
    >>> Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >>> Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>

    >


    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng

    Scroll ALL the way to the bottom for the Windows 7 drivers.
     
  6. LouB

    LouB Flightless Bird

    Bob wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:40:47 -0400, Don <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >> Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    > Sometimes, but not always. It's more likely that a 32-bit driver will
    > be compatible. Less so for 64-bit.


    Win7 is based on Vista
     
  7. Bob

    Bob Flightless Bird

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:56:24 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >Bob wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:40:47 -0400, Don <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >>> Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>
    >> Sometimes, but not always. It's more likely that a 32-bit driver will
    >> be compatible. Less so for 64-bit.

    >
    >Win7 is based on Vista


    Therefore you think all the drivers are compatible, eh?
     
  8. LouB

    LouB Flightless Bird

    Bob wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:56:24 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:40:47 -0400, Don <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >>>> Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks
    >>> Sometimes, but not always. It's more likely that a 32-bit driver will
    >>> be compatible. Less so for 64-bit.

    >> Win7 is based on Vista

    >
    > Therefore you think all the drivers are compatible, eh?


    No, but there is a reasonable chance. I would certainly try the drivers
    you have now, after I visited the mfg'x website in case they have issued
    newer drivers.
     
  9. Shoe

    Shoe Flightless Bird

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:02:23 -0400, Don <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >This is an Intel D945 series board. Intel has posted all of the Vista
    >drivers for my board, but only the RAID driver specific to Windows 7. I
    >may go to a reputable white box dealer I know and ask.
    >
    >
    >On 04/16/2010 16:50, Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >> Quite a few of them are but I would check with the manufacturer to see
    >> if they have specific drivers for Windows 7. For instance, a motherboard
    >> by ASUS that came with a Vista drivers CD, may have updated drivers for
    >> same MOBO on their site.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Don" <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >> news:82s0afFh1vU1@mid.individual.net...
    >>> Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >>> Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>

    I had the same problem with an Intel mobo. I emailed Intel and the
    answer from Intel was to use the Vista driver for the management
    engine. Before running setup, they told me to right click on the
    setup.exe file and set it to run in Vista compatibility mode. This
    worked for me and eliminated the error shown in device manager.
     
  10. Jack

    Jack Flightless Bird

    "Joe Morris" <j.c.morris@verizon.net> wrote in message
    news:hqcj9101vno@news1.newsguy.com...
    > "LouB" <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >> Bob wrote:
    >>> LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >>>> Bob wrote:
    >>>>> Don <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >
    >>>>>> Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >>>>>> Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?

    >
    >>>>> Sometimes, but not always. It's more likely that a 32-bit driver will
    >>>>> be compatible. Less so for 64-bit.
    >>>> Win7 is based on Vista

    >
    >>> Therefore you think all the drivers are compatible, eh?

    >
    >> No, but there is a reasonable chance. I would certainly try the drivers
    >> you have now, after I visited the mfg'x website in case they have issued
    >> newer drivers.

    >
    > As a data point, Dell explicitly documents that users wanting to run
    > Windows 7 on the later (and long since end-of-lifed) D-series Latitude
    > laptops should use the Vista drivers, although no guarantees are offered.
    > I've successfully run both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 on D630 and D830
    > systems with no problems using the Vista kits.


    Back to what the OP wanted, see the link in relic's post. Windows 7 drivers
    for the Intel motherboards _ARE_ there.
     
  11. Joe Morris

    Joe Morris Flightless Bird

    "LouB" <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >> LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >>> Bob wrote:
    >>>> Don <misterd2081@yahoo.ca> wrote:


    >>>>> Are chipset drivers (lan, audio, raid, etc.) originally developed for
    >>>>> Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7?


    >>>> Sometimes, but not always. It's more likely that a 32-bit driver will
    >>>> be compatible. Less so for 64-bit.
    >>> Win7 is based on Vista


    >> Therefore you think all the drivers are compatible, eh?


    > No, but there is a reasonable chance. I would certainly try the drivers
    > you have now, after I visited the mfg'x website in case they have issued
    > newer drivers.


    As a data point, Dell explicitly documents that users wanting to run Windows
    7 on the later (and long since end-of-lifed) D-series Latitude laptops
    should use the Vista drivers, although no guarantees are offered. I've
    successfully run both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 on D630 and D830 systems
    with no problems using the Vista kits.

    Joe Morris
     

Share This Page