1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninstall Restore??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Willard, May 31, 2010.

  1. Willard

    Willard Flightless Bird

    Lately "System Volume Information" has been appearing on my USB DOS
    hard drive..
    I have turned off the "System Restore"

    However I would like to completely Remove "System Restore", since I rely
    on my other duplicate external backup drives for occasional restoration..

    How can I do an uninstall of "System Restore"???
     
  2. Bill in Co.

    Bill in Co. Flightless Bird

    Willard wrote:
    > Lately "System Volume Information" has been appearing on my USB DOS
    > hard drive..
    > I have turned off the "System Restore"
    >
    > However I would like to completely Remove "System Restore", since I rely
    > on my other duplicate external backup drives for occasional restoration..
    >
    > How can I do an uninstall of "System Restore"???


    I don't think you can "uninstall it".
    Just turn it off on all drives (although I wouldn't recommend that; why not
    just let it monitor your system drive as another fallback option).
     
  3. Tim Meddick

    Tim Meddick Flightless Bird

    You cannot uninstall System Restore, since it is an integral part of the
    Windows XP operating system.

    However, you may "Turn off System Restore on all drives" by going to :

    "Control Panel" :- "System"

    (same as right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties")

    ....then, click on the "System Restore" tab across the top.

    On the "System Restore" page, put a "checkmark" in the box labelled :

    "Turn off System Restore on all drives"

    ......click on [ok] to save your settings and exit "System Properties".

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)




    "Willard" <guess@msn.invalid> wrote in message
    news:ubRBPfQALHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > Lately "System Volume Information" has been appearing on my USB DOS
    > hard drive..
    > I have turned off the "System Restore"
    >
    > However I would like to completely Remove "System Restore", since I rely
    > on my other duplicate external backup drives for occasional restoration..
    >
    > How can I do an uninstall of "System Restore"???
     
  4. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    See http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html

    Willard wrote:
    > Lately "System Volume Information" has been appearing on my USB DOS
    > hard drive..
    > I have turned off the "System Restore"
    >
    > However I would like to completely Remove "System Restore", since I rely
    > on my other duplicate external backup drives for occasional restoration..
    >
    > How can I do an uninstall of "System Restore"???
     
  5. Willard

    Willard Flightless Bird

    Thanks everyone for the information...

    I'll just have to be satisfied with "System Restore" turned off...

    Willard wrote:
    > Lately "System Volume Information" has been appearing on my USB DOS
    > hard drive..
    > I have turned off the "System Restore"
    >
    > However I would like to completely Remove "System Restore", since I rely
    > on my other duplicate external backup drives for occasional restoration..
    >
    > How can I do an uninstall of "System Restore"???
    >
     
  6. Tim Meddick

    Tim Meddick Flightless Bird

    If the folder "System Volume Information" appears on a drive, other than
    the system drive, that you don't want to System Restore to be active on;
    then simply uncheck the "box" for that drive (in the same place where you
    would turn it off at).

    Rather than turning off System Restore completely for all drives...

    That way, the folder "System Volume Information" should disappear from
    that drive once it has been "de-selected" on the System Restore page of
    "System Properties".

    If it does not disappear (but it really should) - just delete that folder
    after de-activating System Restore on that drive.

    It is a hidden folder so you could use the following command from a
    "cmd.exe" (Command Prompt) :

    RMDIR /S /Q "X:/System Volume Information"

    ....where you would replace the [X:] for the drive-letter of your "USB DOS
    hard drive"

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)




    "Willard" <guess@msn.invalid> wrote in message
    news:-OTUoqvZALHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks everyone for the information...
    >
    > I'll just have to be satisfied with "System Restore" turned off...
    >
    > Willard wrote:
    >> Lately "System Volume Information" has been appearing on my USB DOS
    >> hard drive..
    >> I have turned off the "System Restore"
    >>
    >> However I would like to completely Remove "System Restore", since I rely
    >> on my other duplicate external backup drives for occasional
    >> restoration..
    >>
    >> How can I do an uninstall of "System Restore"???
    >>
     
  7. Jose

    Jose Flightless Bird

    On Jun 1, 3:17 pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...@o2.co.uk> wrote:
    > If the folder "System Volume Information" appears on a drive, other than
    > the system drive, that you don't want to System Restore to be active on;
    > then simply uncheck the "box" for that drive (in the same place where you
    > would turn it off at).
    >
    > Rather than turning off System Restore completely for all drives...
    >
    > That way, the folder  "System Volume Information"  should disappear from
    > that drive once it has been "de-selected" on  the System Restore page of
    > "System Properties".
    >
    > If it does not disappear (but it really should) - just delete that folder
    > after de-activating System Restore on that drive.
    >
    > It is a hidden folder so you could use the following command from a
    > "cmd.exe" (Command Prompt) :
    >
    > RMDIR /S /Q "X:/System Volume Information"
    >
    > ...where you would replace the [X:] for the drive-letter of your "USB DOS
    > hard drive"
    >
    > ==
    >
    > Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :)
    >
    > "Willard" <gu...@msn.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > news:-OTUoqvZALHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >
    >
    >
    > > Thanks everyone for the information...

    >
    > > I'll just have to be satisfied with "System Restore" turned off...

    >
    > > Willard wrote:
    > >> Lately "System Volume Information" has been appearing on my USB  DOS
    > >> hard drive..
    > >> I have turned off the "System Restore"

    >
    > >> However I would like to completely Remove "System Restore", since I rely
    > >> on my other duplicate external backup drives for occasional
    > >> restoration..

    >
    > >> How can I do an uninstall of "System Restore"???


    Are you sure you can have a volume with no SVI folder?

    Do you think that is how it should work or have you done it and you
    know that is how it works?

    I know I can turn off SR and delete the SVI folder and it is gone, but
    XP always makes one on reboot (and it stays empty).

    The SVI folder is a persistent bugger.
     
  8. Tim Meddick

    Tim Meddick Flightless Bird

    I *know* that is how it works!

    However, if the folder is re-created on reboot (as you say, and "stays
    empty"), then something is going a bit wrong.

    I suspect that you may be removing the drive from the system from time to
    time (i.e.; unplugging it).

    If the system "looses track" of the drive (i.e.; finds it as "not
    present"), for any length of time, then, on re-inserting the drive, will
    re-enumerate it - including re-establishing System Restore.

    If this is the case - simply make sure that the drive IS plugged in when
    you turn off the computer, and also plugged in on turning the PC on again.
    That is to say; only remove the drive when the PC is totally switched off.

    Otherwise, the system will re-enumerate the drive if it's presence is not
    continuous, and System Restore (and other settings such as Recycle Bin
    settings) will attempt to re-establish themselves.

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)




    "Jose" <jose_ease@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:3a74b85c-2625-441e-945c-55641ed9f73a@y12g2000vbr.googlegroups.com...
    On Jun 1, 3:17 pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...@o2.co.uk> wrote:
    > If the folder "System Volume Information" appears on a drive, other than
    > the system drive, that you don't want to System Restore to be active on;
    > then simply uncheck the "box" for that drive (in the same place where you
    > would turn it off at).
    >
    > Rather than turning off System Restore completely for all drives...
    >
    > That way, the folder "System Volume Information" should disappear from
    > that drive once it has been "de-selected" on the System Restore page of
    > "System Properties".
    >
    > If it does not disappear (but it really should) - just delete that folder
    > after de-activating System Restore on that drive.
    >
    > It is a hidden folder so you could use the following command from a
    > "cmd.exe" (Command Prompt) :
    >
    > RMDIR /S /Q "X:/System Volume Information"
    >
    > ...where you would replace the [X:] for the drive-letter of your "USB DOS
    > hard drive"
    >
    > ==
    >
    > Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)
    >
    > "Willard" <gu...@msn.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > news:-OTUoqvZALHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >
    >
    >
    > > Thanks everyone for the information...

    >
    > > I'll just have to be satisfied with "System Restore" turned off...

    >
    > > Willard wrote:
    > >> Lately "System Volume Information" has been appearing on my USB DOS
    > >> hard drive..
    > >> I have turned off the "System Restore"

    >
    > >> However I would like to completely Remove "System Restore", since I
    > >> rely
    > >> on my other duplicate external backup drives for occasional
    > >> restoration..

    >
    > >> How can I do an uninstall of "System Restore"???


    Are you sure you can have a volume with no SVI folder?

    Do you think that is how it should work or have you done it and you
    know that is how it works?

    I know I can turn off SR and delete the SVI folder and it is gone, but
    XP always makes one on reboot (and it stays empty).

    The SVI folder is a persistent bugger.
     

Share This Page