1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thunderbird Mail Stalling on outgoing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Richard John, Jun 7, 2010.

  1. Richard John

    Richard John Flightless Bird

    When I send an outgoing email with an attachment of almost any size
    (including only a screen shot) it will stall at about 50%.

    The reason that I am mentioning it here is that it is happening only on
    the two computers running Windows 7 (one 32 the other 64) My old desktop
    running XP does not have this problem.

    I have tried everything, including changing anti virus from Avast to
    Microsoft Security Essentials - scanning and non scanning outbound mail
    and with no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Richard
     
  2. No Mo

    No Mo Flightless Bird

    If you have tried everything, that means you have asked in the Thunderbird
    newsgroup, correct?

    "Richard John" <rpenner@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:-OeNWVMlBLHA.3880@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    : When I send an outgoing email with an attachment of almost any size
    : (including only a screen shot) it will stall at about 50%.
    :
    : The reason that I am mentioning it here is that it is happening only on
    : the two computers running Windows 7 (one 32 the other 64) My old desktop
    : running XP does not have this problem.
    :
    : I have tried everything, including changing anti virus from Avast to
    : Microsoft Security Essentials - scanning and non scanning outbound mail
    : and with no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    : Richard
     
  3. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On 06/07/2010 05:27 PM, No Mo wrote:
    > If you have tried everything, that means you have asked in the Thunderbird
    > newsgroup, correct?


    And if you're gonna do that, you have to use Mozilla's servers or no one
    will see your post.

    >
    > "Richard John"<rpenner@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > news:-OeNWVMlBLHA.3880@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > : When I send an outgoing email with an attachment of almost any size
    > : (including only a screen shot) it will stall at about 50%.
    > :
    > : The reason that I am mentioning it here is that it is happening only on
    > : the two computers running Windows 7 (one 32 the other 64) My old desktop
    > : running XP does not have this problem.
    > :
    > : I have tried everything, including changing anti virus from Avast to
    > : Microsoft Security Essentials - scanning and non scanning outbound mail
    > : and with no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    > : Richard
    >
    >



    --
    Alias
     
  4. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    MSE doesn't include an email scanning component.

    Richard John wrote:
    > When I send an outgoing email with an attachment of almost any size
    > (including only a screen shot) it will stall at about 50%.
    >
    > The reason that I am mentioning it here is that it is happening only on
    > the two computers running Windows 7 (one 32 the other 64) My old desktop
    > running XP does not have this problem.
    >
    > I have tried everything, including changing anti virus from Avast to
    > Microsoft Security Essentials - scanning and non scanning outbound mail
    > and with no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    > Richard
     
  5. Paul

    Paul Flightless Bird

    Richard John wrote:
    > When I send an outgoing email with an attachment of almost any size
    > (including only a screen shot) it will stall at about 50%.
    >
    > The reason that I am mentioning it here is that it is happening only on
    > the two computers running Windows 7 (one 32 the other 64) My old desktop
    > running XP does not have this problem.
    >
    > I have tried everything, including changing anti virus from Avast to
    > Microsoft Security Essentials - scanning and non scanning outbound mail
    > and with no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    > Richard


    When this happened to me, it was caused by the ISP.

    If the ISP disables all ICMP protocol on their mail server,
    the mail server ends up in a "black hole".

    (See "PMTUD black holes" or "Path MTU discovery")
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_(networking)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_MTU_discovery

    "Many network security devices block all ICMP messages for
    security reasons, including the errors that are necessary
    for PMTUD to work. This can result in connections that complete
    the TCP three-way handshake correctly, but then hang when data
    is transferred. This state is referred to as a "black hole connection".
    "

    My ISP was really sneaky. They changed their end, without
    telling anyone. When I'd go to send email, it would jam up
    like yours. They claimed it was "all my fault" and "would
    I please change the MTU setting of my router" or the like.
    When in fact, the reason they wanted me to change the
    MTU, was because their mail server no longer properly
    supported the protocols used to support differences in
    MTU size. Only their mail server gave me problems, and
    nothing else was broken (surfing worked fine).

    Talk to the support at your ISP (the provider of your email
    server), and see if they don't blame it on you :)

    Now, you claim it jams up when you send a large attachment.
    As a test, compose an email message and send it to yourself.
    Make the message really large, by copying a lot of text into
    it. With any luck, you'll jam up, even without any attachment
    added to the message. In my tests, I think I could send short
    email messages to myself, but not long messages. Long ones
    would jam when sent.

    Paul
     
  6. Richard John

    Richard John Flightless Bird

    On 07/06/2010 12:44 PM, Paul wrote:
    > Richard John wrote:
    >> When I send an outgoing email with an attachment of almost any size
    >> (including only a screen shot) it will stall at about 50%.
    >>
    >> The reason that I am mentioning it here is that it is happening only
    >> on the two computers running Windows 7 (one 32 the other 64) My old
    >> desktop running XP does not have this problem.
    >>
    >> I have tried everything, including changing anti virus from Avast to
    >> Microsoft Security Essentials - scanning and non scanning outbound
    >> mail and with no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >> Richard

    >
    > When this happened to me, it was caused by the ISP.
    >
    > If the ISP disables all ICMP protocol on their mail server,
    > the mail server ends up in a "black hole".
    >
    > (See "PMTUD black holes" or "Path MTU discovery")
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_(networking)
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_MTU_discovery
    >
    > "Many network security devices block all ICMP messages for
    > security reasons, including the errors that are necessary
    > for PMTUD to work. This can result in connections that complete
    > the TCP three-way handshake correctly, but then hang when data
    > is transferred. This state is referred to as a "black hole connection".
    > "
    >
    > My ISP was really sneaky. They changed their end, without
    > telling anyone. When I'd go to send email, it would jam up
    > like yours. They claimed it was "all my fault" and "would
    > I please change the MTU setting of my router" or the like.
    > When in fact, the reason they wanted me to change the
    > MTU, was because their mail server no longer properly
    > supported the protocols used to support differences in
    > MTU size. Only their mail server gave me problems, and
    > nothing else was broken (surfing worked fine).
    >
    > Talk to the support at your ISP (the provider of your email
    > server), and see if they don't blame it on you :)
    >
    > Now, you claim it jams up when you send a large attachment.
    > As a test, compose an email message and send it to yourself.
    > Make the message really large, by copying a lot of text into
    > it. With any luck, you'll jam up, even without any attachment
    > added to the message. In my tests, I think I could send short
    > email messages to myself, but not long messages. Long ones
    > would jam when sent.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks Paul
    I sent your message to my ISP since it is all greek to me
    Richard
     
  7. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Paul wrote:
    > Richard John wrote:
    >> When I send an outgoing email with an attachment of almost any size
    >> (including only a screen shot) it will stall at about 50%.
    >>
    >> The reason that I am mentioning it here is that it is happening only
    >> on the two computers running Windows 7 (one 32 the other 64) My old
    >> desktop running XP does not have this problem.
    >>
    >> I have tried everything, including changing anti virus from Avast to
    >> Microsoft Security Essentials - scanning and non scanning outbound
    >> mail and with no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >> Richard

    >
    > When this happened to me, it was caused by the ISP.


    If so, why don't the e-mails stall when he uses the third PC (the one
    running XP)?
     
  8. Paul

    Paul Flightless Bird

    Daave wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Richard John wrote:
    >>> When I send an outgoing email with an attachment of almost any size
    >>> (including only a screen shot) it will stall at about 50%.
    >>>
    >>> The reason that I am mentioning it here is that it is happening only
    >>> on the two computers running Windows 7 (one 32 the other 64) My old
    >>> desktop running XP does not have this problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried everything, including changing anti virus from Avast to
    >>> Microsoft Security Essentials - scanning and non scanning outbound
    >>> mail and with no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >>> Richard

    >> When this happened to me, it was caused by the ISP.

    >
    > If so, why don't the e-mails stall when he uses the third PC (the one
    > running XP)?
    >
    >


    That would depend on the MTU setting of each computer. Perhaps
    there is a policy difference between the OSes ? Or, perhaps the
    user has already made a change purely by accident (while
    "tweaking" the network performance).

    In any case, if phoning the ISP gets an immediate response from
    the support staff, then they probably know they've changed something
    at their end to cause it in the first place.

    The OP can always set up a second email client, and do the same
    tests, and see if it "stalls" exactly the same way.

    Paul
     

Share This Page