1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synthetic Windpipe Replaces Cancerous One

Discussion in 'Latest News Events' started by Robert Heiny, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Robert Heiny

Robert Heiny Research Scientist of Learning and Education Flight Instructor

Henry Fountain reports that surgeons in Stockholm, Sweden replaced a patient's cancerous trachea (windpipe) with a synthetic one seeded with the patients cells. The synthetic windpipe was made of nano-scale plastic fibers coated with stem cells from the patient's bone marrow. The surgeon use a tissue engineered trachea built to match CT scans of the patients cancerous one without the tumor. The plastic form was rotated in a solution with the patient's stem cells for several days while the cells adhered to the plastic and began growing. The new trachea fit the patient perfectly. The patient is home anticipating returning to work.

Fountain, H. Synthetic Windpipe Used to Replace Cancerous One, New York Times, January 12, 2012.

2. LPH

LPH Flight Director Flight Instructor

Instead of rotating, there is a spray technique used on burn victims. I wonder if this would have worked.

3. Robert Heiny

Robert Heiny Research Scientist of Learning and Education Flight Instructor

The article says they removed the tumor and the trachea. If it said, the NYT article didn't describe the decision making process to make and install the synthetic replacement unit. Maybe someone who has read the original scientific/medical report can answer that question.

Engineering synthetic tissues with the patient's cells is fascinating. I first remember reading lab reports in the late 1970's of such potential developments. Good well meaning physicians with whom I tried to discuss these potentials considered them fantasy. At least one of them could have used such tissues to save his life.

4. LPH

LPH Flight Director Flight Instructor

Stem cell research continues to progress - and never being fast enough to save loved ones needing well-testing techniques now. Our government needs to invest in these technologies rather than give it all away to other countries.