• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Sync speed and edits

Aibohphobia

Tween Bird
Are new posts/comments on Xenforo or WP immediately synced to the other or is there a delay?

Are edits synced? And if so is it immediate?

Can WP categories be mapped to XF forums or does the destination forum have to be selected for each WP post?

Aibohphobia

Tween Bird
Went ahead and bought XenWord and comments from either side show up immediately, along with edits.

Doesn't look like there's an option to map categories to forums.

Gracie

Dogs Times Writer
Doesn't look like there's an option to map categories to forums.

I wanted to reply here - in case someone else trips over this question and statement.

No. The mapping of categories to forum was removed so that people had more flexibility. Larger sites wanted their contributors and authors the ability to choose the forum at the time of creating the WP article. You'll see the forum list is in a meta box to the right of the WordPress post area. Now others wanted to lock in the forum -- since they always published WP articles to the same forum. This is why there is a default forum option.

Gracie

Dogs Times Writer
Are new posts/comments on Xenforo or WP immediately synced to the other or is there a delay?

There is no delay -- but there isn't a "synchronization" that happens. Instead the plugin writes to the XenForo database when the WordPress article is published or updated. There is no way (yet) to go from XenForo to WordPress.

Aibohphobia

Tween Bird
No. The mapping of categories to forum was removed so that people had more flexibility. Larger sites wanted their contributors and authors the ability to choose the forum at the time of creating the WP article.

Could there be both? The authors need to select a category anyway so ideally I'd like to be able to map categories to forums with an option to override the mapping if needed.

Gracie

Dogs Times Writer
Could there be both? The authors need to select a category anyway so ideally I'd like to be able to map categories to forums with an option to override the mapping if needed.

@LPH would probably recommend that you put it in the suggestion forum so that others could like and comment on the idea. The issue is the redux framework -- and I know that the 3.x has a redux framework plugin that he's trying to connect in as a meta box -- and this would dramatically change things.