• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Some Questions

alex2k5

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
Hello, thinking about using this. Have unique situation, wanted to see if these things were possible.

1. Do not require or desire to connect the forum and wordpress userbases at all. Different login for each desired. Only staff needs to log in to Wordpress, which I create and control. Can this be turned off and have the other features work?

2. If this is turned off, can we still create threads in forums when posts are made in wordpress?

3. Can we connect an existing thread to the wordpress post and use that for comments? I saw "thread id in admin area", but I'm curious how that works. Can we enter a forum thread id on the post create/edit page, via custom field etc, per post?

4. Will forum threads show up under wordpress posts in place of the comments if disconnected userbase wise?

5. Can people post comments from the wordpress page, and then those show up in the XF thread associated? Enter data on wordpress page, submit, shows up in forum. And of course the wordpress page because we are pulling from forum.

6. Can the above 2 be done if userbases are not connected, and wordpress comment system is completely disabled?

7. Is there a XF login widget, which just logs in and shows user-specific XF data (messages, last login, etc), even if the userbases aren't connected?

8. Can XF be installed on domain.com/forums/ and the wordpress(es) be on subdomain.domain.com ? (Reverse from your example in FAQ).

Bottom line, I don't want users from XF in my Wordpress install. We use different names in each place, and I run multisite through different domains, so I'd like to keep the users in the system purely staff. I also currently have comments completely turned off in Wordpress, want to keep that system and part of the database unused if possible.

Both systems are mature and independent, would rather not change things too much, just want that login/welcome box, comments/thread connection.

Thanks!

alex2k5

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
Ok, went and looked at the video section after this, seems like some things were addressed there.

1. - Seems you can choose to not connect the userbases. That is good, thanks for that.

2. - Still not 100% on that one.

3. - videos cleared that up, good to go, thanks.

4. - I do not want the "Discuss on our forums" link, I would prefer to show the thread/comments under the Wordpress post. Possible when disconnected?

5. - And a quick reply box, which sends data to the forum thread, then updates the view on the Wordpress side. If not logged it, it asks you to log in "to XF". Basically what it does by default, but with no WP connection. Possible when disconnected, only checking XF cookies?

7. - Video cleared that up, good to go, thanks.

8. - Still curious.

Thanks.

alex2k5

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
Thanks Paul. I actually can't quite tell what that change will do. It looks like it's just switching to a link with a comment count next to the word "comments". Not quite what I was shooting for.

What I am looking to clarify is if the attached image can be achieved even if the userbases are non synced. Example pulled from most recent tux reports front page post that was linked in the announcement forum.

xenword-comments.JPG

And if so, when a user is not logged in, can he do so via XF log in or external log in otherwise available to Xenforo (FB, Twitter, Google, etc, however they would normally do so).

So yeah, that, login box widget, WP staff still being able to connect/create threads from wp-admin edit/create pages. Can those be done while userbases are not synced.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
What I am looking to clarify is if the attached image can be achieved even if the userbases are non synced.

All should be fine. The login comes from XenForo forum so the adding of the XF user into the database doesn't matter.