• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Some questions...

Holden

Baby Bird
This looks like a great plugin.

I'm starting a magazine style blog, but also want a community, and this looks like a possible solution. A couple of questions if I may:

1) For those of you who have implemented this in their blog, have you noticed an increase or decrease in user engagement as far as commenting on the blog post vs clicking thru and participating on the related forum post (assuming that the 2-way blog comment/forum post sync is turned off)?

2) If blog comments and forum posts sync both ways, doesn't that present a duplicate content issue?

3) Are there any alternatives to full 2-way sync? For example, is there an option to just show the last n comments or the most liked comments in the thread?

4) Instead of displaying forum posts as comments on the blog article, is it possible to display the number of comments in the related forum post to show activity? For example, is it possible to have a button that says, "Talk about this post (23 comments, 21 voices)" or something like that?

Thanks! And my apologies if any of these questions have been asked before.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Hi

Sorry for any delay in answering. I've been sick.

1. This really depends on the integration. The tighter then integration then the activity will increase.
2. The WordPress comments create a post in a thread created at the time of publishing the post or page in WordPress. The replies in the XenForo side are not copied into the WordPress comments area. This technically means they are not synchronized.
3. I don't have a widget designed for just that particular thread - but that would be the way to go. You can look at the code and try this yourself or add it to the suggestion forum.
4. You can modify your WordPress child theme to show the number of replies. Yes.

Always feel free to ask away. I usually try to answer quickly.

Holden

Baby Bird
Thank you LPH!

No worries about the delay - I hope you're feeling better.

I'm going to test your plugin today and play around with it.

Cheers,

Holden

Holden

Baby Bird
Hi Again :)

Is it possible to use xenword to power the comments on the WP side, so XF tracks user comments so they're part of the user's profile (activity, etc.)?

Thanks!

Holden

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Thank you LPH!

No worries about the delay - I hope you're feeling better.

I'm going to test your plugin today and play around with it.

Cheers,

Holden

Let me know. The test version is designed to make sure the admin understand the user_id and IDs are correct as well as the absolute path is known.

Holden

Baby Bird
Thanks. I'm just wondering if you saw my other post in this thread? It looks like we posted at the same time this mornng (within a minute or less) so I'm guessing you might have missed it. Thanks!

Btw, I didn't get around to testibg it today. Hoping to do so tomorrow.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Hi Again :)

Is it possible to use xenword to power the comments on the WP side, so XF tracks user comments so they're part of the user's profile (activity, etc.)?

Thanks!

Holden

I don't have it set here but used to show the WordPress comments instead of a link to the forum. This way someone can post on WP or XF. Also, it's possible to style WordPress comments area to match -- I saw this on a few sites using XenWord. I'm just not good with CSS :)

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
WordPress Comments.png