LPH submitted a new blog post
Senator Ron Johnson (WI-R) announced in an email that he is going to seek a third term. The announcement follows one by Senator John Thune (SD-R) seeking his fourth term. The state primary date is August 9, 2022. The election will be held November 8, 2022.
- Senator Ron Johnson won his first senate election against Democrat Russ Feingold in 2010.
- He won his second election in 2016 against Democrat Russ Feingold.
- In 2013, he promised his second term would be his last.
- A strong backer of former President Donald J. Trump.
- Former President Trump endorsed Johnson for a third term in April 2021.
- A leading voice in downplaying the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
- Wisconsin is "battleground" state in which elections are close.
- Wisconsin is one of the few states with one Senator from both major political parties.
- President Joe Biden won Wisconsin in the 2020 election by approximately 20,000 votes.
- Candidate filing dates open April 15 and close June 1, by 5 p.m.
- There are three other Republicans seeking the nomination: John Berman, Brad Beyer and Justin Doty
- The current list of Democrats seeking the nomination include Mandela Barnes, Gillian Battino, Sarah Godlewski, Alex Lasry, Kou Lee, Chantia Lewis, Adam Murphy, Tom Nelson, Steven Olikara, Peter Peckarsky, Jeff Rumbaugh, Darrell Williams.
- The state primary is August 9, 2022.
In Wisconsin, if registering by mail, the application must be postmarked no later than 20 days before the election. In-person registration must be completed by 5 p.m. on the Friday before Election Day.
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.