• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Quirks

T

Tom C

Flightless Bird
I have to admit, I love Windows 7. In my opinion it is a great OS. It's about time we had a simple to use, stable interface that works.

While Windows 7 is as awesome as it is supposed to be, (Yes, I do love Windows 7) there are still little quirks that pop up from time to time. The reason I am writing this is not to get answers, but to point out some of the minor issues that new users of Windows 7 might come across. These are not what I would really call issues either, just something we will all have to get used to. After doing some research online, I found several sites that listed others. Just Google "Windows 7 quirks" to find more. Even with all of these little things though, I still think Windows 7 is worth the price and energy.

So without further adieu...

Tom's Quirk #1

One new feature in Windows, Aero Snap, is great at allowing you to automatically size windows to either half or full screen, however, it can get in the way of resizing windows the way you might want them. If you get too close to an edge of the screen, it will "snap! What I wanted to do was resize Internet Explorer to "almost" full screen, but when attempting to do this I would invariable come too close to the bottom edge of my screen not realizing that the smaller view was not being saved. It took a little while for me to get my window to save the size I wanted.

Tom's Quirk #2

I do not like to save browser history, so I set Internet Explorer options under Days to Keep Pages in History to 0 (Zero). This caused me to have to log onto my home pages every time I opened them. That didn't happen in my previous versions of Windows. At first I thought is was due to a cookies issue, but found out that after I set IE to save my history for 14 days, everything was fine again.

Tom's Quirk #3

Some programs work quite well, until they experience some sort of error. In this case it was Sony's Reader Library. After the error, I was unable to open, uninstall or reinstall the application. I had to turn off DEP and add it to an exceptions list in order to get it working again. This was found during a 3 1/2 hour technical support call to Sony.

I had the same thing happen to another program I have been using for over 10 years on everything from Windows 95, 98, and XP Pro. Since I purchased a lifetime license for ViewPrint Pro, I wanted to keep it's functionality, but no matter what I try, I just can't seem to get it to open. It worked fine for about two weeks, until one day, it just didn't. Nothing on the system changed. It just would not open. The error I got was "Create Fail for Window, Viewprint, 0. TViewPrintWin". I can't uninstall or re-install it either. All attempts to do anything with this program pop the same error. Hamrick Software was unable to help, so I downloaded a replacement program to handle image and slideshows viewing. FastStone, was also free. I seemed to end up getting a much better program out of the deal and didn't have to pay for it either. I don't even care about Viewprint any longer. I think I've pretty much gotten my money's worth. Hamrick assured me that Viewprint would run on my 64 bit Windows 7 Professional with no problem, but so far, well... It does run on another computer running a 32 bit version of Windows 7 just fine.

I think I'll leave it here for now. Hopefully it will help someone, or at least let someone know to expect these sort of things.