1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phantom wireless network detected

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jack B. Pollack, Jun 6, 2010.

  1. Jack B. Pollack

    Jack B. Pollack Flightless Bird

    I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware switch
    turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".

    I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am not
    sharing any resources on the laptop.
     
  2. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    Bluetooth?

    Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    > I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware switch
    > turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >
    > I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am not
    > sharing any resources on the laptop.
     
  3. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Flightless Bird

    In news:eM44xmbBLHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl "Jack B. Pollack"
    <N@NE.nothing> wrote:

    > I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware
    > switch turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name
    > "wireless".


    Do you mean the wireless network hardware in your laptop or in your home
    network wireless access point/router?

    If it's just the latter, you're probably seeing your neighbor's network.

    Otherwise ...

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com
     
  4. Jack B. Pollack

    Jack B. Pollack Flightless Bird

    BT is disabled. Seeing it in the list of available wireless networks

    "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:-OOCjMkcBLHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > Bluetooth?
    >
    > Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware switch
    >> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >>
    >> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am not
    >> sharing any resources on the laptop.
     
  5. Jack B. Pollack

    Jack B. Pollack Flightless Bird

    Yes, wireless network hardware switch on laptop.
    Seeing it in the list of available wireless networks

    "Bert Hyman" <bert@iphouse.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D8FB749BD63DVeebleFetzer@207.46.248.16...
    > In news:eM44xmbBLHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl "Jack B. Pollack"
    > <N@NE.nothing> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware
    >> switch turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name
    >> "wireless".

    >
    > Do you mean the wireless network hardware in your laptop or in your home
    > network wireless access point/router?
    >
    > If it's just the latter, you're probably seeing your neighbor's network.
    >
    > Otherwise ...
    >
    > --
    > Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com
     
  6. Mike S

    Mike S Flightless Bird

    On 6/6/2010 1:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    > I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware switch
    > turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >
    > I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am not
    > sharing any resources on the laptop.


    Is it showing in preferred networks, and if so, when removed does it
    return?

    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
     
  7. Jack B. Pollack

    Jack B. Pollack Flightless Bird

    it is only showing in the list of available networks (it is not in the
    preferred list)


    "Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:huhija$t0c$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    > On 6/6/2010 1:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware switch
    >> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >>
    >> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am not
    >> sharing any resources on the laptop.

    >
    > Is it showing in preferred networks, and if so, when removed does it
    > return?
    >
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    >
     
  8. Mike S

    Mike S Flightless Bird

    On 6/6/2010 6:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    > it is only showing in the list of available networks (it is not in the
    > preferred list)
    >
    >
    > "Mike S"<mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:huhija$t0c$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> On 6/6/2010 1:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >>> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware switch
    >>> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >>>
    >>> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am not
    >>> sharing any resources on the laptop.

    >>
    >> Is it showing in preferred networks, and if so, when removed does it
    >> return?
    >>
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg


    If you look at the properties or advanced tab information, is the "This
    is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are
    not used" checkbox checked? If so can you just uncheck that and delete it?
     
  9. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    Start | Settings | Network Connections | right-click on Wireless Network
    Connection & select Disable.

    Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    > BT is disabled. Seeing it in the list of available wireless networks
    >
    > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:-OOCjMkcBLHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >> Bluetooth?
    >>
    >> Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >>> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware
    >>> switch
    >>> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >>>
    >>> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am
    >>> not
    >>> sharing any resources on the laptop.
     
  10. Jack B. Pollack

    Jack B. Pollack Flightless Bird

    That doesnt explain the phantom connection

    "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:uMjVPigBLHA.1072@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > Start | Settings | Network Connections | right-click on Wireless Network
    > Connection & select Disable.
    >
    > Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >> BT is disabled. Seeing it in the list of available wireless networks
    >>
    >> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:-OOCjMkcBLHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>> Bluetooth?
    >>>
    >>> Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >>>> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware
    >>>> switch
    >>>> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >>>>
    >>>> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am
    >>>> not
    >>>> sharing any resources on the laptop.

    >
     
  11. Jack B. Pollack

    Jack B. Pollack Flightless Bird

    the only thing check on the advanced page is "any available network (access
    preferred)"

    "Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:huhk22$1jh$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    > On 6/6/2010 6:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >> it is only showing in the list of available networks (it is not in the
    >> preferred list)
    >>
    >>
    >> "Mike S"<mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> news:huhija$t0c$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>> On 6/6/2010 1:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >>>> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware
    >>>> switch
    >>>> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >>>>
    >>>> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am
    >>>> not
    >>>> sharing any resources on the laptop.
    >>>
    >>> Is it showing in preferred networks, and if so, when removed does it
    >>> return?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg

    >
    > If you look at the properties or advanced tab information, is the "This is
    > a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are not
    > used" checkbox checked? If so can you just uncheck that and delete it?
    >
    >
     
  12. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    If Wireless Network Connection is Disabled, what difference does it make?

    Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    > That doesnt explain the phantom connection
    >
    > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:uMjVPigBLHA.1072@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >> Start | Settings | Network Connections | right-click on Wireless Network
    >> Connection & select Disable.
    >>
    >> Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >>> BT is disabled. Seeing it in the list of available wireless networks
    >>>
    >>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:-OOCjMkcBLHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>>> Bluetooth?
    >>>>
    >>>> Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >>>>> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware
    >>>>> switch
    >>>>> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am
    >>>>> not
    >>>>> sharing any resources on the laptop.
     
  13. Tim Meddick

    Tim Meddick Flightless Bird

    Do you have a Bluetooth USB dongle attached to the system?

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)




    "Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message
    news:eL2BGMjBLHA.1072@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > the only thing check on the advanced page is "any available network
    > (access preferred)"
    >
    > "Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:huhk22$1jh$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> On 6/6/2010 6:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >>> it is only showing in the list of available networks (it is not in the
    >>> preferred list)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Mike S"<mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:huhija$t0c$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>> On 6/6/2010 1:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    >>>>> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware
    >>>>> switch
    >>>>> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am
    >>>>> not
    >>>>> sharing any resources on the laptop.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is it showing in preferred networks, and if so, when removed does it
    >>>> return?
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg

    >>
    >> If you look at the properties or advanced tab information, is the "This
    >> is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are
    >> not used" checkbox checked? If so can you just uncheck that and delete
    >> it?
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
     
  14. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    [There's that goddamn echo again!]

    Tim Meddick wrote:
    > Do you have a Bluetooth USB dongle attached to the system?...
     
  15. Tim Meddick

    Tim Meddick Flightless Bird

    No need to swear!

    I thought I had read through all the previous posts in this thread, but
    must have missed the first couple.

    However, I myself have disabled Bluetooth Wireless Networking, but
    nevertheless, it *is* responsible for always at logon getting the error
    message :

    "Could not re-connect all network drives..."

    Before my own brand of BT software re-initializes the dongle and the
    message disappears again.

    So I would look again at my Bluetooth software's settings...and any virtual
    BT network adaptors that have been installed in Device Manager.

    *NB - BT network adaptors are only visible when "Show hidden devices" is
    selected from the "View" menu in Device Manager.

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)




    "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:eXyf%234nBLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > [There's that goddamn echo again!]
    >
    > Tim Meddick wrote:
    >> Do you have a Bluetooth USB dongle attached to the system?...
     

Share This Page