1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KB972696 keeps installing over and over...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by XS11E, Apr 8, 2010.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit, WU is set to notify only. I keep getting
    KB972696 and it appears to install w/o any problem but clicking on
    "Show installed updates" shows it's installed multiple times and
    add/remove shows it's NOT installed.

    Hiding it doesn't help, it comes back again a day later.

    I recall this occurring with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my
    previous computer, I transferred nothing from the old to the new other
    than my Xnews and T'bird settings and folder.

    The update says it's related to MSFT Security Essentials.




    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  2. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Flightless Bird

    XS11E:
    KB072696 is the MS Security Essentials update, refer to
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972696. Have a great day.
    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
    "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D54B67AD416Exs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    > Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit, WU is set to notify only. I keep getting
    > KB972696 and it appears to install w/o any problem but clicking on
    > "Show installed updates" shows it's installed multiple times and
    > add/remove shows it's NOT installed.
    >
    > Hiding it doesn't help, it comes back again a day later.
    >
    > I recall this occurring with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my
    > previous computer, I transferred nothing from the old to the new other
    > than my Xnews and T'bird settings and folder.
    >
    > The update says it's related to MSFT Security Essentials.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:
    > http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
    >
    > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    > signature database 5011 (20100408) __________
    >
    > The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >
    > http://www.eset.com
    >
    >
    >



    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5011 (20100408) __________

    The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

    http://www.eset.com
     
  3. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    "Dennis Pack" <dennispack@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972696


    Thanks, Dennis, I've already been there, it's of absolutely no help of
    any kind.

    I'm wondering if I missed something, is there anything in that link
    that relates in any way to the problem I'm having? If so, I missed it.

    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  4. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Flightless Bird

    XS11E:
    The KB972696 listing is the same but the definition is different each
    time. Looking at the update summary the definition is listed on the update
    line and a couple times the same definition installed twice on the same day.
    The last one listed on my other computer running Security Essentials is
    KB972696 (Definition 1.79.1453.0)

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
    "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D54D682D3B70xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    > "Dennis Pack" <dennispack@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972696

    >
    > Thanks, Dennis, I've already been there, it's of absolutely no help of
    > any kind.
    >
    > I'm wondering if I missed something, is there anything in that link
    > that relates in any way to the problem I'm having? If so, I missed it.
    >
    > --
    > XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:
    > http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
    >
    > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
    > signature database 5011 (20100408) __________
    >
    > The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >
    > http://www.eset.com
    >
    >
    >



    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5011 (20100408) __________

    The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

    http://www.eset.com
     
  5. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy Flightless Bird

    XS11E wrote:
    > "Dennis Pack" <dennispack@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972696

    >
    > Thanks, Dennis, I've already been there, it's of absolutely no help
    > of any kind.
    >
    > I'm wondering if I missed something, is there anything in that link
    > that relates in any way to the problem I'm having? If so, I missed
    > it.


    You apparently didn't read the fine print on that page:

    "Microsoft works to help make computing as secure as possible for our
    customers. As part of this effort, Microsoft Security Essentials
    regularly downloads updates to the definition files that are used to
    identify virus, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software.
    Microsoft Security Essentials also periodically downloads detection
    engine updates. Microsoft delivers these updates by using Microsoft
    Automatic Updates."

    That definition file is updated frequently and those updates always bear
    the same Knowledge Base identification number, 972696, but with a
    different suffix. My latest update is:

    Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB972696
    (Definition 1.79.1469.0)

    KB972696 is SUPPOSED to install over and over!
    --
    Crash

    One man's weed is another man's wildflower.
     
  6. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    "Dave \"Crash\" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > XS11E wrote:
    >> I'm wondering if I missed something, is there anything in that
    >> link that relates in any way to the problem I'm having? If so, I
    >> missed it.

    >
    > You apparently didn't read the fine print on that page:
    >
    > "Microsoft works to help make computing as secure as possible for
    > our customers. As part of this effort, Microsoft Security
    > Essentials regularly downloads updates to the definition files
    > that are used to identify virus, spyware, and other potentially
    > unwanted software. Microsoft Security Essentials also periodically
    > downloads detection engine updates. Microsoft delivers these
    > updates by using Microsoft Automatic Updates."
    >
    > That definition file is updated frequently and those updates
    > always bear the same Knowledge Base identification number, 972696,
    > but with a different suffix.


    OK, that explains it but where on that page does it say what you said
    above? There's nothing in the quoted material above or on the page
    that would lead me to believe that they use the same KB number for each
    definition.

    I'll check it out next update and see if the definitions are different
    as Dennis suggested.

    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  7. bd

    bd Flightless Bird

    XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
    news:Xns9D553C6348DE2xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1:

    > "Dave \"Crash\" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> XS11E wrote:
    >>> I'm wondering if I missed something, is there anything in that
    >>> link that relates in any way to the problem I'm having? If so, I
    >>> missed it.

    >>
    >> You apparently didn't read the fine print on that page:
    >>
    >> "Microsoft works to help make computing as secure as possible for
    >> our customers. As part of this effort, Microsoft Security
    >> Essentials regularly downloads updates to the definition files
    >> that are used to identify virus, spyware, and other potentially
    >> unwanted software. Microsoft Security Essentials also periodically
    >> downloads detection engine updates. Microsoft delivers these
    >> updates by using Microsoft Automatic Updates."
    >>
    >> That definition file is updated frequently and those updates
    >> always bear the same Knowledge Base identification number, 972696,
    >> but with a different suffix.

    >
    > OK, that explains it but where on that page does it say what you said
    > above? There's nothing in the quoted material above or on the page
    > that would lead me to believe that they use the same KB number for each
    > definition.
    >
    > I'll check it out next update and see if the definitions are different
    > as Dennis suggested.
    >


    Just look at your update history.
     
  8. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    bd <bd@no.net> wrote:

    > XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
    > news:Xns9D553C6348DE2xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1:


    >> I'll check it out next update and see if the definitions are
    >> different as Dennis suggested.


    > Just look at your update history.


    I would if they were listed...

    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  9. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 05:56:10 -0700, XS11E wrote:

    > "Dave \"Crash\" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> XS11E wrote:
    >>> I'm wondering if I missed something, is there anything in that
    >>> link that relates in any way to the problem I'm having? If so, I
    >>> missed it.

    >>
    >> You apparently didn't read the fine print on that page:
    >>
    >> "Microsoft works to help make computing as secure as possible for
    >> our customers. As part of this effort, Microsoft Security
    >> Essentials regularly downloads updates to the definition files
    >> that are used to identify virus, spyware, and other potentially
    >> unwanted software. Microsoft Security Essentials also periodically
    >> downloads detection engine updates. Microsoft delivers these
    >> updates by using Microsoft Automatic Updates."
    >>
    >> That definition file is updated frequently and those updates
    >> always bear the same Knowledge Base identification number, 972696,
    >> but with a different suffix.

    >
    > OK, that explains it but where on that page does it say what you said
    > above? There's nothing in the quoted material above or on the page
    > that would lead me to believe that they use the same KB number for each
    > definition.
    >
    > I'll check it out next update and see if the definitions are different
    > as Dennis suggested.


    KB = Knowledge Base. Look at the paragraph just above your reply.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
     

Share This Page