• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Converting to XF from IPB with an existing bridge

4P-Geoff

Baby Bird
Really impressed with what I've seen of XenWord so far - it seems to be miles above most WP/forum software bridges.

Right now I'm running an IPB forum and a WP site with a fairly decent-sized number of existing posts that are linked via an IPS Connect bridge (comments linked to post in forum thread, etc.). However, the bridge has been taken over by a new developer. I've started having some issues and I'm not overly impressed with the support/development progress. I don't think that we'd ever be able to upgrade to IPB 4 eventually unless a new bridge becomes available by a different developer.

In the meantime, XenForo has a lot more to offer my community in terms of resources, and XenWord is miles above the existing bridge that I use now, so I'm seriously considering converting since I own a XF license that's being unused right now anyway. My question is this - how smooth would the transition be from the current IPB bridge to XenWord in terms of users/thread linking? Would there be any issues? I'm assuming I'd have to manually go back and assign a topic to every post that already has one - tedious, but doable - but are there any other issues that might arise?

Gracie

Dogs Times Writer
Sorry for the delay. @LPH is not feeling well.

Really impressed with what I've seen of XenWord so far

Thank you. The 3.0 version should be even better !

how smooth would the transition be from the current IPB bridge to XenWord in terms of users/thread linking?

This would most likely be faster through the database. XenWord uses a thread_id field that is added upon activation. Using phpmyadmin then you could link the forum posts faster .. browser open to the thread to get the ID then add it in the browser tab with phpmyadmin open.... or something like that process would work.