1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't boot even with Repair Disks!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Roy Fenimore, Sep 26, 2010.

  1. Roy Fenimore

    Roy Fenimore Flightless Bird

    I am so frustrated! I have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10 (I think)
    and Windows 7. I don't know why--I hardly ever use Ubuntu. Yesterday, I
    decided to visit Ubuntu just for a change of pace. I installed some
    updates, and Ubuntu changed the Bootloader to GRUB! Windows 7 bootloader
    called GRUB when it needed it. Started them both just fine.

    Windows won't boot now. It looks like the Vista Bootloader is trying to
    start, so I presume my computer is trying to run it's original recovery
    software. It's an HP a6720f that came with Vista installed, and it has a
    "Factory Image" partition on the HD. It says "Windows is loading files",
    then a progress indicator, then a blank screen (with lots of flashing
    from the HD activity light), then a blank screen with a mouse cursor in
    the middle. After that, no further progress.

    I've tried to boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good, Repair, everything.
    I've tried to boot from both my Windows 7 Repair Disk and my Vista
    Recovery Disk. Always hangs at the same spot.

    I'm using Ubuntu now, but I miss Windows! Everything is so hard in Linux!

    Can anyone help?
     
  2. Paul

    Paul Flightless Bird

    Roy Fenimore wrote:
    > I am so frustrated! I have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10 (I think)
    > and Windows 7. I don't know why--I hardly ever use Ubuntu. Yesterday, I
    > decided to visit Ubuntu just for a change of pace. I installed some
    > updates, and Ubuntu changed the Bootloader to GRUB! Windows 7 bootloader
    > called GRUB when it needed it. Started them both just fine.
    >
    > Windows won't boot now. It looks like the Vista Bootloader is trying to
    > start, so I presume my computer is trying to run it's original recovery
    > software. It's an HP a6720f that came with Vista installed, and it has a
    > "Factory Image" partition on the HD. It says "Windows is loading files",
    > then a progress indicator, then a blank screen (with lots of flashing
    > from the HD activity light), then a blank screen with a mouse cursor in
    > the middle. After that, no further progress.
    >
    > I've tried to boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good, Repair, everything.
    > I've tried to boot from both my Windows 7 Repair Disk and my Vista
    > Recovery Disk. Always hangs at the same spot.
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu now, but I miss Windows! Everything is so hard in Linux!
    >
    > Can anyone help?


    Is the Windows 7 partition still visible ? When you're in Ubuntu,
    can you access it ? First I'd want to prove the partition itself
    isn't damaged.

    You can get a Windows 7 recovery console disc here. This will ask you
    to log into the partition to be repaired. There is the equivalent of
    fixmbr and fixboot on here. The download is a torrent. You can set up
    a torrent downloader in Ubuntu (that may be how I got this image
    for my own collection). Check the Synaptic Package Manager if it isn't
    installed. It's the only torrent I've had to do, to get software.
    (I'm only mentioning this, in case your existing CDs aren't
    real Recovery Consoles or don't offer a Command Prompt.)
    These are not installer CDs, they're just a Recovery Console.
    And Command Prompt, is one of the useful functions, for OSes
    other than Windows 7.

    http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

    Information on the "bootrec" program on the recovery CD.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

    There is also some program called "bootsect".

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744577(WS.10).aspx

    Now, say you were to boot that CD, and you're still seeing the
    black screen. If that were to happen to me, I'd -

    1) Verify in the BIOS, that the disk controller was running AHCI.
    AHCI gives hot plug. (You'd need hot plug, to support the ability
    to plug in the SATA cable for the hard drive, after the
    system is booted.)
    2) I'm assuming both IDE and AHCI drivers are available in the
    recovery console. It would be pretty stupid if they both
    weren't available.
    3) If this is a desktop, I'd disconnect the SATA cable to the
    original hard drive, boot the recovery CD, then plug in the
    SATA data cable for the hard drive again. Doing so, will likely
    miss the opportunity to "log into" the broken install. But
    you'd still have the opportunity to open a command prompt, and
    from there you could do some bootrec work.

    System Recovery Options

    Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt <----

    The trick would then be, to try to "change directory" in the
    Command Prompt, to the newly plugged in disk (as proof it has
    been detected), and if you can see it, perhaps you can repair the MBR.

    And if this is a laptop, um, what a mess... You'll probably
    need to pull the hard drive, put it in a USB2 to 2.5" enclosure,
    and work on the disk on some other computer. One that boots
    the above CD or equivalent, so you can do the same kind of
    repair to it.

    HTH,
    Paul
     
  3. B. Al. Zeebub

    B. Al. Zeebub Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:58:45 +0000, Roy Fenimore wrote:

    > I am so frustrated! I have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10 (I think)
    > and Windows 7. I don't know why--I hardly ever use Ubuntu. Yesterday, I
    > decided to visit Ubuntu just for a change of pace. I installed some
    > updates, and Ubuntu changed the Bootloader to GRUB! Windows 7 bootloader
    > called GRUB when it needed it. Started them both just fine.
    >
    > Windows won't boot now. It looks like the Vista Bootloader is trying to
    > start, so I presume my computer is trying to run it's original recovery
    > software. It's an HP a6720f that came with Vista installed, and it has a
    > "Factory Image" partition on the HD. It says "Windows is loading files",
    > then a progress indicator, then a blank screen (with lots of flashing
    > from the HD activity light), then a blank screen with a mouse cursor in
    > the middle. After that, no further progress.
    >
    > I've tried to boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good, Repair, everything.
    > I've tried to boot from both my Windows 7 Repair Disk and my Vista
    > Recovery Disk. Always hangs at the same spot.
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu now, but I miss Windows! Everything is so hard in
    > Linux!
    >
    > Can anyone help?


    Use Dolphin/Nautilus to confirm your Windows boot files are still there.
    file:///media/disk/$Recycle.Bin
    file:///media/disk/BOOTSECT.BAK
    file:///media/disk/Boot
    file:///media/disk/Boot.BAK
    file:///media/disk/Boot.ini.saved
    file:///media/disk/Config.Msi
    file:///media/disk/Documents and Settings
    file:///media/disk/IO.SYS
    file:///media/disk/Intel
    file:///media/disk/MSDOS.SYS
    file:///media/disk/MSOCache
    file:///media/disk/My Documents
    file:///media/disk/NTDETECT.COM
    file:///media/disk/NVIDIA
    file:///media/disk/PerfLogs
    file:///media/disk/Program Files
    file:///media/disk/Program Files (x86)
    file:///media/disk/ProgramData
    file:///media/disk/Python31
    file:///media/disk/RECYCLER
    file:///media/disk/Recovery
    file:///media/disk/System Volume Information
    file:///media/disk/Temp
    file:///media/disk/Users
    file:///media/disk/VritualRoot
    file:///media/disk/Windows
    file:///media/disk/autoexec.bat
    file:///media/disk/bootmgr
    file:///media/disk/config.sys
    file:///media/disk/globdata.ini
    file:///media/disk/hiberfil.sys
    file:///media/disk/ntldr
    file:///media/disk/pagefile.sys

    Then try reinstalling Grub from your Ubuntu installation media, and pay
    more attention to what your update manager is doing next time, OK. The
    following articles should give you a heads up.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

    You can use startup-manager later to return Windows to the default OS to
    load.
     
  4. Roy Fenimore

    Roy Fenimore Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 02:07:46 +0000, B. Al. Zeebub wrote:

    >
    > Use Dolphin/Nautilus to confirm your Windows boot files are still there.
    > file:///media/disk/$Recycle.Bin
    > file:///media/disk/BOOTSECT.BAK
    > file:///media/disk/Boot
    > file:///media/disk/Boot.BAK
     
  5. B. Al. Zeebub

    B. Al. Zeebub Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:39:30 +0000, Roy Fenimore wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 02:07:46 +0000, B. Al. Zeebub wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Use Dolphin/Nautilus to confirm your Windows boot files are still
    >> there. file:///media/disk/$Recycle.Bin
    >> file:///media/disk/BOOTSECT.BAK
    >> file:///media/disk/Boot
    >> file:///media/disk/Boot.BAK

    > .
    > .
    > .
    >> file:///media/disk/hiberfil.sys
    >> file:///media/disk/ntldr
    >> file:///media/disk/pagefile.sys
    >>
    >> Then try reinstalling Grub from your Ubuntu installation media, and pay
    >> more attention to what your update manager is doing next time, OK. The
    >> following articles should give you a heads up.
    >>
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
    >>
    >> You can use startup-manager later to return Windows to the default OS
    >> to load.

    >
    > I'll try...but the problem is that before this, my boot loader was the
    > Windows 7 loader, which chained to Grub when I selected Windows. I
    > wonder if the old Grub would do any better than the new one at launching
    > Windows 7....


    I use Grub2 and it works fine with Win7. At worst you may need to run
    'sudo grub-update' after the reinstall.
     
  6. Roy Fenimore

    Roy Fenimore Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:31:08 +0000, B. Al. Zeebub wrote:


    > I use Grub2 and it works fine with Win7. At worst you may need to run
    > 'sudo grub-update' after the reinstall.


    Okie, dokie, I'll give it a try!
     
  7. Roy Fenimore

    Roy Fenimore Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:58:45 +0000, Roy Fenimore wrote:

    > I am so frustrated! I have a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10 (I think)
    > and Windows 7. I don't know why--I hardly ever use Ubuntu. Yesterday, I
    > decided to visit Ubuntu just for a change of pace. I installed some
    > updates, and Ubuntu changed the Bootloader to GRUB! Windows 7 bootloader
    > called GRUB when it needed it. Started them both just fine.
    >
    > Windows won't boot now. It looks like the Vista Bootloader is trying to
    > start, so I presume my computer is trying to run it's original recovery
    > software. It's an HP a6720f that came with Vista installed, and it has a
    > "Factory Image" partition on the HD. It says "Windows is loading files",
    > then a progress indicator, then a blank screen (with lots of flashing
    > from the HD activity light), then a blank screen with a mouse cursor in
    > the middle. After that, no further progress.
    >
    > I've tried to boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good, Repair, everything.
    > I've tried to boot from both my Windows 7 Repair Disk and my Vista
    > Recovery Disk. Always hangs at the same spot.
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu now, but I miss Windows! Everything is so hard in
    > Linux!
    >
    > Can anyone help?


    Oh, wow. I think I just realized something: a few months ago, I had to
    replace the motherboard on this computer. Even though the motherboard was
    sold as an HP Violet-gl8e motherboard, and it looks identical, the BIOS
    is different from the old one. That might be why HP's startup repair
    won't work--it checks the motherboard to make sure it's an HP product,
    and maybe this motherboard doesn't quite measure up.
     

Share This Page