1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Association association.....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Janet, Feb 11, 2010.

  1. Janet

    Janet Flightless Bird

    Hello to all

    I run an XP PRO with SP3 and it all work just fine. Except a little
    association matter.

    I have a sound card from "CREATIVE" that has many features such as
    Recorders, music editors etc. each one of those features have its own logo
    so when you see an icon with that logo you know that clicking it will give
    what this feature should give you.

    It was like that for a long time! But something happen and now each time I
    click on the player or the recorder, I get first the "OPEN WITH" page asking
    me to select it. In fact it is already marked there and ready to go but
    the page will not let it proceed until I click it.

    The "OPEN WITH" page also has a line saying that marking this line will
    always open this item with the selected program but this apparently is what
    broke down. Because the next time it repeat the same thing and my marking-up
    of that permanence line is gone.

    There is really no big damage here except the annoyance to keep clicking
    that page when MS built on that page a provision that makes my selection
    permanent .

    Anyone know why that page doesn't keep the permanence order like it used to
    before?

    Thanks for any help
    Janet
     
  2. Rey Santos

    Rey Santos Flightless Bird

    See if this would help:
    How to Enable / Disable “Always use the selected program to open this kind
    of file†Option in Open With Dialog Box?
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-...-kind-of-file-option-in-open-with-dialog-box/

    --
    Rey


    "Janet" wrote:

    > Hello to all
    >
    > I run an XP PRO with SP3 and it all work just fine. Except a little
    > association matter.
    >
    > I have a sound card from "CREATIVE" that has many features such as
    > Recorders, music editors etc. each one of those features have its own logo
    > so when you see an icon with that logo you know that clicking it will give
    > what this feature should give you.
    >
    > It was like that for a long time! But something happen and now each time I
    > click on the player or the recorder, I get first the "OPEN WITH" page asking
    > me to select it. In fact it is already marked there and ready to go but
    > the page will not let it proceed until I click it.
    >
    > The "OPEN WITH" page also has a line saying that marking this line will
    > always open this item with the selected program but this apparently is what
    > broke down. Because the next time it repeat the same thing and my marking-up
    > of that permanence line is gone.
    >
    > There is really no big damage here except the annoyance to keep clicking
    > that page when MS built on that page a provision that makes my selection
    > permanent .
    >
    > Anyone know why that page doesn't keep the permanence order like it used to
    > before?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Janet
    >
    >
    > .
    >
     
  3. Bob I

    Bob I Flightless Bird

    SO, what program hijacked the Association? Installing programs like
    Quicktime will royally mess up your assigned preferences for a LOT of
    file types.

    Janet wrote:

    > Hello to all
    >
    > I run an XP PRO with SP3 and it all work just fine. Except a little
    > association matter.
    >
    > I have a sound card from "CREATIVE" that has many features such as
    > Recorders, music editors etc. each one of those features have its own logo
    > so when you see an icon with that logo you know that clicking it will give
    > what this feature should give you.
    >
    > It was like that for a long time! But something happen and now each time I
    > click on the player or the recorder, I get first the "OPEN WITH" page asking
    > me to select it. In fact it is already marked there and ready to go but
    > the page will not let it proceed until I click it.
    >
    > The "OPEN WITH" page also has a line saying that marking this line will
    > always open this item with the selected program but this apparently is what
    > broke down. Because the next time it repeat the same thing and my marking-up
    > of that permanence line is gone.
    >
    > There is really no big damage here except the annoyance to keep clicking
    > that page when MS built on that page a provision that makes my selection
    > permanent .
    >
    > Anyone know why that page doesn't keep the permanence order like it used to
    > before?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Janet
    >
    >
     
  4. Janet

    Janet Flightless Bird

    Hello to BOB I

    I have lots of experience with programs that steal associations. In fact all
    of them do it, not just Quicktime.
    I have several players onboard but I have restricted their access only to
    the things that are specific for them and no more.

    You go into Tools\Association of each program and unmark every thing the
    program have originally marked as their own. But here it is not an
    association matter, it is a window matter because the line you noted there,
    is the line called "Permanence". and if you mark it up then it keep your
    selection permanent and need not go back there.

    This line died, even if I select it, or turn it on/off few times it doesn't
    work. That's what I am looking for to fix.

    Hope someone has the solution.





    "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:uRuO9z%23qKHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > SO, what program hijacked the Association? Installing programs like
    > Quicktime will royally mess up your assigned preferences for a LOT of file
    > types.
    >
    > Janet wrote:
    >
    >> Hello to all
    >>
    >> I run an XP PRO with SP3 and it all work just fine. Except a little
    >> association matter.
    >>
    >> I have a sound card from "CREATIVE" that has many features such as
    >> Recorders, music editors etc. each one of those features have its own
    >> logo so when you see an icon with that logo you know that clicking it
    >> will give what this feature should give you.
    >>
    >> It was like that for a long time! But something happen and now each time
    >> I click on the player or the recorder, I get first the "OPEN WITH" page
    >> asking me to select it. In fact it is already marked there and ready to
    >> go but the page will not let it proceed until I click it.
    >>
    >> The "OPEN WITH" page also has a line saying that marking this line will
    >> always open this item with the selected program but this apparently is
    >> what broke down. Because the next time it repeat the same thing and my
    >> marking-up of that permanence line is gone.
    >>
    >> There is really no big damage here except the annoyance to keep clicking
    >> that page when MS built on that page a provision that makes my selection
    >> permanent .
    >>
    >> Anyone know why that page doesn't keep the permanence order like it used
    >> to before?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
    >> Janet

    >
     
  5. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    Check with the experts in the Department of Rundancy Department, please.

    Janet wrote:
    > Hello to all
    >
    > I run an XP PRO with SP3 and it all work just fine. Except a little
    > association matter.
    >
    > I have a sound card from "CREATIVE" that has many features such as
    > Recorders, music editors etc. each one of those features have its own logo
    > so when you see an icon with that logo you know that clicking it will give
    > what this feature should give you.
    >
    > It was like that for a long time! But something happen and now each time
    > I
    > click on the player or the recorder, I get first the "OPEN WITH" page
    > asking
    > me to select it. In fact it is already marked there and ready to go but
    > the page will not let it proceed until I click it.
    >
    > The "OPEN WITH" page also has a line saying that marking this line will
    > always open this item with the selected program but this apparently is
    > what
    > broke down. Because the next time it repeat the same thing and my
    > marking-up
    > of that permanence line is gone.
    >
    > There is really no big damage here except the annoyance to keep clicking
    > that page when MS built on that page a provision that makes my selection
    > permanent .
    >
    > Anyone know why that page doesn't keep the permanence order like it used
    > to
    > before?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Janet
     
  6. Bob I

    Bob I Flightless Bird

    First, you are wrong about ALL programs stealing Associations. They MAY
    change the association when the program is installed, BUT they normally
    WON'T hijack the changed association. You still have not provided the
    name of the program you are having problems with. If the problem is with
    ALL progams and the associations, then the issue is one of changes to
    the registry being denied. This will be caused by "security software"
    you have installed. Disable it while the desired changes are being made.

    Janet wrote:

    > Hello to BOB I
    >
    > I have lots of experience with programs that steal associations. In fact all
    > of them do it, not just Quicktime.
    > I have several players onboard but I have restricted their access only to
    > the things that are specific for them and no more.
    >
    > You go into Tools\Association of each program and unmark every thing the
    > program have originally marked as their own. But here it is not an
    > association matter, it is a window matter because the line you noted there,
    > is the line called "Permanence". and if you mark it up then it keep your
    > selection permanent and need not go back there.
    >
    > This line died, even if I select it, or turn it on/off few times it doesn't
    > work. That's what I am looking for to fix.
    >
    > Hope someone has the solution.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:uRuO9z%23qKHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >
    >>SO, what program hijacked the Association? Installing programs like
    >>Quicktime will royally mess up your assigned preferences for a LOT of file
    >>types.
    >>
    >>Janet wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hello to all
    >>>
    >>>I run an XP PRO with SP3 and it all work just fine. Except a little
    >>>association matter.
    >>>
    >>>I have a sound card from "CREATIVE" that has many features such as
    >>>Recorders, music editors etc. each one of those features have its own
    >>>logo so when you see an icon with that logo you know that clicking it
    >>>will give what this feature should give you.
    >>>
    >>>It was like that for a long time! But something happen and now each time
    >>>I click on the player or the recorder, I get first the "OPEN WITH" page
    >>>asking me to select it. In fact it is already marked there and ready to
    >>>go but the page will not let it proceed until I click it.
    >>>
    >>>The "OPEN WITH" page also has a line saying that marking this line will
    >>>always open this item with the selected program but this apparently is
    >>>what broke down. Because the next time it repeat the same thing and my
    >>>marking-up of that permanence line is gone.
    >>>
    >>>There is really no big damage here except the annoyance to keep clicking
    >>>that page when MS built on that page a provision that makes my selection
    >>>permanent .
    >>>
    >>>Anyone know why that page doesn't keep the permanence order like it used
    >>>to before?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any help
    >>>Janet

    >>

    >
    >
     

Share This Page