• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Ability to use Xenforo as WP comment system

PhoGro

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
Maybe there is a way to do this already I've only just begun with my install of XenWord, but if not I think this could be a great benefit to the end user.

The idea would be to have a Xenforo reply box at the bottom of the articles on the WP blog side allowing members the same functionality to reply, quote and mention those who previously commented on the articles without having to jump from the blog post to the forum thread.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Enable WP comments and the WP comments are written to the XenForo thread for that post. This is an incomplete feature, and why XenWord 3.0 is in alpha. The replies in XenForo are not yet written to WordPress -- but the WP comments are written to XenForo. The XenForo replies will display below the WordPress post.

PhoGro

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
Enable WP comments and the WP comments are written to the XenForo thread for that post. This is an incomplete feature, and why XenWord 3.0 is in alpha. The replies in XenForo are not yet written to WordPress -- but the WP comments are written to XenForo. The XenForo replies will display below the WordPress post.

So if I understand this correctly what currently happens is

Replies to the article made on WP and replies to thread made on Xenforo display together on the Xenforo side (that is to say they all appear in order on the thread). However, if someone on the blog responds to a reply made on the forum, these two conversations would essentially happen in two different threads on the blog - one that displays all Xenforo replies and one that displays all WP replies?

My other question is does the fact that writing the WP replies to Xenforo duplicate that reply within the Xenforo section of replies? If so - this might be an easy way to build something that'd keep things in-line. You'd just have to hide all the WP posts, write everything to Xenforo and then write Xenforo back to WP displaying everything inline together on one thread in both places.

Does that make sense? Or am I misunderstanding something. Anyway - I'm okay with the current way I have things setup forcing people back to the forum to make replies and keeping the conversation part of the site on the forum itself, this was just something that'd be nice to have in a future release 3.x or even 4.x

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Replies to the article made on WP and replies to thread made on Xenforo display together on the Xenforo side (that is to say they all appear in order on the thread). However, if someone on the blog responds to a reply made on the forum, these two conversations would essentially happen in two different threads on the blog - one that displays all Xenforo replies and one that displays all WP replies?

Correct. There is no threaded discussion on the WordPress side. Quoting works.

My other question is does the fact that writing the WP replies to Xenforo duplicate that reply within the Xenforo section of replies? If so - this might be an easy way to build something that'd keep things in-line. You'd just have to hide all the WP posts, write everything to Xenforo and then write Xenforo back to WP displaying everything inline together on one thread in both places.

This is why the plugin is in alpha. There is no duplication and why the replies in XenForo need to be written to the WordPress database.

PhoGro

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
Makes sense - for a alpha product I think you've done a great job with functionality and stability I'm excited to see what a few more years worth of development can bring. Have you ever thought about working directly with Xenforo to bring this sort of functionality directly into the core of Xenforo? With something like 60% of the web running wordpress and with Xenforo not having a true CMS solution it's a no brainer to pair the two of these platforms.