• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

New XenWord Sales Halted

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Update: This is an old post explaining the suspension of XenWord during the fall. I was unable to work on the plugin during this time. Sales resumed as soon as my health returned.

Due to personal reasons I am not able to support XenWord sales.

After the second person issued a chargeback in the past 30 days, I've come to the conclusion that there is no reason to offer the product until I am able to install, configure, and walk certain people through the process. Gracie did a great job supporting everyone while I was trying to get better, but it's time for this product to move forward.

The future for XenWord is pretty simple. After things settle then I expect to release a new version for all license holders -- and continue to issue new releases. However, I doubt that I will ever offer any new person a license. (1) PayPal stopped automatic upgrades due to a spammer(s), (2) people need attention quickly after they've purchased and I cannot offer that service at this time.

My hope last weekend was to get a new release out to everyone. Instead, my attention needed to be elsewhere. I cannot make any promises to when the new version will be available but hopefully soon.

Falcon

Teen Bird
XenWord Professional
This is unfortunate, and those kinds of people really bring down independent developers.

Might I suggest doing a sort of screening system? Like check the person's domain, how long they've had it, etc... if their site has any activity...

Maybe if you get people in the field who's used these kind of plugins, or know what they are doing (at least on their end) you can then only sell to those kinds of people.

I tried to support as much as I could by getting a Lifetime, and early access. Hope you don't completely give up!

Marc Sylvester

Baby Bird
Hi LPH.
... well that's really a bummer. I'm sorry to hear you're unable to make this work. There's a HUGE market for this you know?

I spent days looking for a specific plugin to bridge my Wordpress with Xenforo.
I finally found it (your plugin!) but now you're stopping :(

There are many many easier ways of selling a product and delivering instant downloads along with a helpful video.
My own software (http://www.laughingbirdsoftware.com) delivers large downloads along with a video.

I use a payment system called JVzoo (http://www.jvzoo.com)
You can set up a product (free) and the user can purchase it. The money is sent directly to your paypal account and the product is delivered to the end user.

Honestly, the way I went through the purchase system trying to buy your Xenword plugin was REALLY tricky and confusing. Most likely me... lol, but there are easier ways.

If you'd like to talk - I can help you set up the system.
I think you've got a heckuva product and I'd hate to see it vanish

Marc

YourCurl

Baby Bird
This is really upsetting. We were looking forward to purchasing Xenword today after discussing it and finding it to be the perfect solution for our business. I would hope that you would allow new licenses. We have an experienced team of WordPress developers that I am overseeing, and believe the amount of support needed would be minimal to none. The resources that exist currently are all sufficient for our team. We were hoping to begin developing with the addition of your add-on this upcoming week, but this has been an unforeseen event. We understand your situation, but would like to ask if there is another way we could purchase the existing version you have? We are more than eager.

Thank you!

Dominique Houston
YourCurl

vanucci

Baby Bird
Oh I am Devastated about this. Just after i got the xenforo licence and was looking to bridge with wordpress.

Is there any way at all to get this ?

alex2k5

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
Yeah, I was really looking forward to utilizing this as a core feature in our upcoming move to Xenforo. I had asked some questions a while back confirming some things: http://www.tuxreports.com/community/threads/some-questions.607858/. I came here today to purchase so I can test everything out with our development forum.

I understand needing to prioritize, and I doubt I'd be needing hand-held interaction. If there is any possibility of working with "pre-screened" folks please let me know. If not, I'll have to pay someone to code something half as good as this and maintain it, I'd rather just pay you.

Scott Lewis

Teen Bird
XenWord Professional
I have to agree with some others hear, if the user who wishes to purchase has ability - as pre-shown, and tested it with the test version aswell as a upto date wordpress site then only then should they be able to purchase.

I personally found it quite easy to install after some prompts.

If anyone has any issues, then maybe they should first interact with the forum.

Zee

Baby Bird
Sorry to hear. Was looking forward to purchasing... it's such a great idea! Hope things get better!

danielTMC

Baby Bird
Yeah, this sucks. We are redoing our website and were depending on using XenWord. I would at least like to be able to buy it, even if ti doesn't come with support....

sgr

Tween Bird
XenWord Professional
Yeah, this sucks. We are redoing our website and were depending on using XenWord. I would at least like to be able to buy it, even if ti doesn't come with support....

Yeah.

@LPH, if this addon is stable enough to use on a live site, are you willing to offer the license under the terms that no product support will be available but updates will be? I wanted to check out the trial version, but I don't think that is available for download anymore..

danielTMC

Baby Bird
Yeah.

@LPH, if this addon is stable enough to use on a live site, are you willing to offer the license under the terms that no product support will be available but updates will be? I wanted to check out the trial version, but I don't think that is available for download anymore..

Yes, this sounds like a great solution. I would be fine to buy this add-on without the promise of support. @LPH please consider this.

AtoZ

Baby Bird
I am also interested in buying as soon as it's offered again and do not expect support. :) Thank you and I hope you are back to your normal self soon. I know how frustrating it is when you can't do the things you want to do.

monolith

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
insert slow motion NOOoooooooo

I am very sorry for your troubles but this bridge was the motivation for switching to xenforo :( I truly hope you reconsider your position to stop sales. Ill walk the cash over to your house. ( figure of speech )

Thanks and hope your health improves

jlewishouse

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
Yeah I'm another person who was considering buying Xenforo and buying XenWord to use with my Wordpress site but now I'm lost. If you could release it with no support I'd be into that. People can always talk to others on the forums for help. Just make it really obvious during purchase that there is no support. Maybe you could even offer a 14 day money back guarantee, that way people will contact you for a refund instead of filing a chargeback with their bank. So the integrity of your Paypal account will be maintained.

dethfire

Baby Penguin
XenWord Professional
Weird, Xenword is very easy to install and configure for basic use. I hope you still get new customers. For continued development I wouldn't mind a yearly maintenance fee (is there one now? :D)

dethfire

Baby Penguin
XenWord Professional
It's been 2 weeks since @LPH has logged in. Honestly something is not right here. If he gives up, I hope he sells it to a wiling developer.

Anthony Parsons

Baby Bird
XenWord Owner
It's been 2 weeks since @LPH has logged in.
He was last seen Sep 10, which makes it 10 days. He obviously has health issues... which are more important.

I do agree though, in that if he cannot maintain this, that he shifts it off to a competent developer. XF WP integration has really had a positive impact on my community. Google love WP... and users do too when a good layout is used.

jlewishouse

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
For me this is frustrating because no one else has made something as good as Xenword because Xenword already exists. I am designing a new website to promote my video game and upcoming relaunched Kickstarter project. I suppose I may have to make a Wordpress site and Xenforo forum separately and hope that Xenword or something like it becomes available in the future.

I'm not sure what this part of the post means "(1) PayPal stopped automatic upgrades due to a spammer(s)"? I have been working with Paypal and EBay for many years so usually there's not a problem with Paypal you can't fix one way or another. I realize this post just sounds like a lot of complaining but I know what it's like to deal with the stresses of development and customer service, and when I get overwhelmed I stop posting on my forums too. I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Some kind of temporary solution like emphasizing that no support will be given for the product would be helpful, or perhaps you could give a special purchase link to people in this thread who understand the situation but still want to buy the product with the understanding that no support will be given and that you can't deal with any more chargebacks. I'm sure many of us would be fine with sending the money on Paypal to get the product without having to go through your store.

Either way I wish you good luck and have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.