1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Pro product key invalid

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jay, Mar 2, 2010.

  1. Jay

    Jay Flightless Bird

    I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro upgrade
    disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.

    Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product key that
    came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the installation. I
    continued installing without entering a product key.

    Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key from
    the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?

    If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3 slipstreamed
    that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?
     
  2. Ken Blake, MVP

    Ken Blake, MVP Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:34:01 -0800, Jay <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro upgrade
    > disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    >
    > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product key that
    > came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the installation.



    For two reasons: upgrade vs. full, and Home vs. Professional.


    > I
    > continued installing without entering a product key.
    >
    > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key from
    > the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?



    No.



    > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3 slipstreamed
    > that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?



    No.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  3. R. McCarty

    R. McCarty Flightless Bird

    Products keys are validated against a text string found in a file on the
    install CD. The keys do not cross validate. An upgrade disk won't
    work with a full/Retail key and vice-versa.

    Microsoft does provide a tool to change a product key ( post install )
    but that won't help in your situation. You'll have to have an upgrade
    disk to be able to use your upgrade product key.

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:17830FC7-F8F1-448D-AB6C-76E7F9B64F48@microsoft.com...
    >I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro
    >upgrade
    > disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    >
    > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product key
    > that
    > came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the installation. I
    > continued installing without entering a product key.
    >
    > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key
    > from
    > the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?
    >
    > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3 slipstreamed
    > that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?
     
  4. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Flightless Bird

    "Jay" wrote:

    > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro upgrade
    > disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    >


    Since you already have an XP Pro Upgrade disk and product key; why don't you
    slipstream SP3 into the Pro Upgrade disk?

    Better yet, why not clean install the XP Pro Upgrade with the product key
    you already have and then update to SP3 immediately after the install?

    > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product key that
    > came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the installation. I
    > continued installing without entering a product key.
    >
    > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key from
    > the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?
    >
    > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3 slipstreamed
    > that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?
     
  5. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Jay wrote:
    > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro
    > upgrade disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    >
    > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product
    > key that came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the
    > installation. I continued installing without entering a product key.
    >
    > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product
    > key from the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?
    >
    > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3
    > slipstreamed that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?


    Do you have the Windows 98 installation CD? If so, you may use the
    Upgrade CD (and its associated, correct Product Key) to perform a Clean
    Install. When you are instructed to show evidence of a qualifying
    upgradeable OS, insert the Windows 98 CD.

    As Mark suggested, you might want to first create a slipstreamed (with
    SP3) installation CD of the Upgrade version of XP Pro.

    Either that or change the Product Key in your current setup to the
    correct one (the one that came with the Full version of XP Pro). As Ken
    explained, there is a difference between the Upgrade and Full versions
    of Windows XP (Home or Pro) and the keys may not be mixed and matched.
     
  6. Ken Blake, MVP

    Ken Blake, MVP Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:39:08 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    > > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro
    > > upgrade disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    > >
    > > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product
    > > key that came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the
    > > installation. I continued installing without entering a product key.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product
    > > key from the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?
    > >
    > > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3
    > > slipstreamed that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?

    >
    > Do you have the Windows 98 installation CD? If so, you may use the
    > Upgrade CD (and its associated, correct Product Key) to perform a Clean
    > Install. When you are instructed to show evidence of a qualifying
    > upgradeable OS, insert the Windows 98 CD.



    You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore CD of
    Windows 98, rather than an installation CD. It's more complicated, but
    it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the XP
    upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from Upgrade
    to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete the partition
    and start over.


    > As Mark suggested, you might want to first create a slipstreamed (with
    > SP3) installation CD of the Upgrade version of XP Pro.
    >
    > Either that or change the Product Key in your current setup to the
    > correct one (the one that came with the Full version of XP Pro). As Ken
    > explained, there is a difference between the Upgrade and Full versions
    > of Windows XP (Home or Pro) and the keys may not be mixed and matched.
    >


    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  7. Bruce Chambers

    Bruce Chambers Flightless Bird

    Jay wrote:
    > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro upgrade
    > disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    >
    > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product key that
    > came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the installation. I
    > continued installing without entering a product key.
    >
    > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key from
    > the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?
    >


    No.


    Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
    CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, or full) with which they are purchased.
    For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
    version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
    An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail product. An
    Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD. Bottom line:
    Product Keys and CD/license types cannot usually (it's been reported
    that the Product Key for a full license will work with an Upgrade CD) be
    mixed & matched.



    > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3 slipstreamed
    > that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?


    Yes, you could use the Upgrade CD you have, and a copy of SP3 to make
    an Upgrade disk with SP3. For slip-streaming the service pack and
    subsequent updates to WinXP:

    How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source
    files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828930

    SlipStreaming WinXP
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm


    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

    The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
     
  8. EN59CVH

    EN59CVH Flightless Bird

    Jay wrote:
    >
    >
    > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key from
    > the upgrade CD?



    Perhaps yes but I emphasize PERHAPS. From your upgrade CD open the file
    SETUPP.INI. This file is normally located on the CD in folder I386.
    Now look for the code:

    Pid=DDDDD XXX {normally written as DDDDDXXX}

    The XXX refers to the unique version that matches with your Key (the
    DDDD are also special digits to indcate whether the Cd is from DELL, HP,
    Microsoft MSDN etc etc). The full codes are here:

    <http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Product_IDs#Windows_XP_complete_list_-_English_locale>

    Now try to change the code on your full version and then recreate the CD
    as you did before so that it boots up normally. If you need any links
    for this then please let me know.

    I suggest, put the entire file SETUPP.INI on to your FULL version store
    before putting everything back on to a CD.

    I have played with these codes and they normally work but my experience
    is with FULL VERSION only not upgrade version. I don't buy upgrade CDs.

    hth
     
  9. EN59CVH

    EN59CVH Flightless Bird

    Only a pig would reply in negative form especially someone who hasn't
    formatted a HD since Windows 3.0!!!!



    "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
    >
    > On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:34:01 -0800, Jay <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro upgrade
    > > disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    > >
    > > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product key that
    > > came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the installation.

    >
    > For two reasons: upgrade vs. full, and Home vs. Professional.
    >
    > > I
    > > continued installing without entering a product key.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key from
    > > the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?

    >
    > No.
    >
    > > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3 slipstreamed
    > > that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?

    >
    > No.
    >
    > --
    > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
    > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  10. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    No & No.

    To do a clean install, you'd have to format & reinstall Win98, then upgrade
    to WinXP again.


    Jay wrote:
    > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro
    > upgrade
    > disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    >
    > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product key
    > that came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the
    > installation. I continued installing without entering a product key.
    >
    > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key
    > from
    > the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?
    >
    > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3 slipstreamed
    > that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?
     
  11. EN59CVH

    EN59CVH Flightless Bird

    "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > No & No.
    >
    > To do a clean install, you'd have to format & reinstall Win98, then upgrade
    > to WinXP again.
    >


    Hey Piggy,

    There is no need to install win98 to do an upgrade. You just need to
    have a Win98 CD handy and when asked, you insert it in the drive and
    when it is verified, you remove it and the installation of XP will
    resume normally.

    Now you have learned something new from a youngster today!!

    Are you still member of the geriatric society?
     
  12. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:39:08 -0500, in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote:


    >> Do you have the Windows 98 installation CD? If so, you may use the
    >> Upgrade CD (and its associated, correct Product Key) to perform a
    >> Clean Install. When you are instructed to show evidence of a
    >> qualifying upgradeable OS, insert the Windows 98 CD.

    >
    > You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore CD of
    > Windows 98, rather than an installation CD. It's more complicated, but
    > it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the XP
    > upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from Upgrade
    > to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete the partition
    > and start over.


    Thanks for pointing that out.

    But at this point, we don't know whether or not OP has *any* Windows 98
    CDs!
     
  13. Jay

    Jay Flightless Bird

    Thanks everyone for your replies - that was very helpful.

    I would like to have a CD with SP3 incorporated, as well as a few other
    tweaks that I made with nlite, so I will make one, since this situation is
    likely to happen again with other computers. I'm an un-paid computer fixit
    for friends, relatives, etc. I expect I'm not alone here.

    EN59CVH: Changing the file that you mentioned looks like it's worth a try,
    so that's what I'll do first, starting from my XP Pro OEM nlite'd CD.

    Mark: "why not clean install the XP Pro Upgrade with the product key
    you already have and then update to SP3 immediately after the install?" I
    don't have another product key, only the upgrade key.

    Daave: I don't have a W98 disk that was supplied with the laptop (but
    there's a legal W98 product key sticker on the laptop). I do have another W98
    (OEM, not upgrade) disk. This should be OK when I get prompted.
     
  14. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Flightless Bird

    "Jay" wrote:

    > Thanks everyone for your replies - that was very helpful.
    >
    > I would like to have a CD with SP3 incorporated, as well as a few other
    > tweaks that I made with nlite, so I will make one, since this situation is
    > likely to happen again with other computers. I'm an un-paid computer fixit
    > for friends, relatives, etc. I expect I'm not alone here.
    >
    > EN59CVH: Changing the file that you mentioned looks like it's worth a try,
    > so that's what I'll do first, starting from my XP Pro OEM nlite'd CD.
    >
    > Mark: "why not clean install the XP Pro Upgrade with the product key
    > you already have and then update to SP3 immediately after the install?" I
    > don't have another product key, only the upgrade key.
    >
    > Daave: I don't have a W98 disk that was supplied with the laptop (but
    > there's a legal W98 product key sticker on the laptop). I do have another W98
    > (OEM, not upgrade) disk. This should be OK when I get prompted.


    You said you have an OEM W98 disk. You said you have an XP Pro Upgrade disk.
    You said you have an XP Upgrade key. With these you can slipstream SP3 into
    the Upgrade disk and clean install using the Upgrade key. Or you can clean
    install the Upgrade disk (SP1, or SP2) and apply SP3 after the install. In
    either case, the install routine will ask for proof of a qualifying prior
    version of Windows. At this point insert the W98 CD, the install routine will
    accept that as proof and the clean install will continue. Enter the Upgrade
    key when prompted. That's all there is to it.
     
  15. Ken Blake, MVP

    Ken Blake, MVP Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 21:36:19 -0500, "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote:

    > Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    > > On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:39:08 -0500, in
    > > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote:

    >
    > >> Do you have the Windows 98 installation CD? If so, you may use the
    > >> Upgrade CD (and its associated, correct Product Key) to perform a
    > >> Clean Install. When you are instructed to show evidence of a
    > >> qualifying upgradeable OS, insert the Windows 98 CD.

    > >
    > > You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore CD of
    > > Windows 98, rather than an installation CD. It's more complicated, but
    > > it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the XP
    > > upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from Upgrade
    > > to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete the partition
    > > and start over.

    >
    > Thanks for pointing that out.



    You're welcome.


    > But at this point, we don't know whether or not OP has *any* Windows 98
    > CDs!



    Right. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that he should do that, just
    pointing out (to him, to you, and to anyone else interested) that it
    *is* possible.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  16. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 21:36:19 -0500, "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:39:08 -0500, in
    >>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general "Daave" <daave@example.com>
    >>> wrote:

    >>
    >>>> Do you have the Windows 98 installation CD? If so, you may use the
    >>>> Upgrade CD (and its associated, correct Product Key) to perform a
    >>>> Clean Install. When you are instructed to show evidence of a
    >>>> qualifying upgradeable OS, insert the Windows 98 CD.
    >>>
    >>> You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore CD
    >>> of Windows 98, rather than an installation CD. It's more
    >>> complicated, but it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore
    >>> CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within that restored system,
    >>> and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press
    >>> Esc to delete the partition and start over.

    >>
    >> Thanks for pointing that out.

    >
    >
    > You're welcome.
    >
    >
    >> But at this point, we don't know whether or not OP has *any* Windows
    >> 98 CDs!

    >
    >
    > Right. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that he should do that, just
    > pointing out (to him, to you, and to anyone else interested) that it
    > *is* possible.


    I know. And this should help any current lurkers or any people who
    search the archives in the future. Good work! :)

    Turns out OP has an OEM Windows 98 Installation CD. Since he has a COA
    sticker for Windows 98 on the PC he is upgrading, I'd say he's good to
    go.
     
  17. Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]

    Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Flightless Bird

    Saying "No" is actually the answer.
    So, how is that a negative reply?

    Did I miss something?
    Russ

    --
    Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
    MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
    Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
    SBS2003 SBS2008 Support - www.SBITS.Biz
    Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
    Free Trial Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com


    "EN59CVH" <EN59CVH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:4B8DC426.CAFDBFEF@discussions.microsoft.com...
    >
    > Only a pig would reply in negative form especially someone who hasn't
    > formatted a HD since Windows 3.0!!!!
    >
    >
    >
    > "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:34:01 -0800, Jay <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro
    >> > upgrade
    >> > disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    >> >
    >> > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    >> > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product
    >> > key that
    >> > came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the
    >> > installation.

    >>
    >> For two reasons: upgrade vs. full, and Home vs. Professional.
    >>
    >> > I
    >> > continued installing without entering a product key.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key
    >> > from
    >> > the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?

    >>
    >> No.
    >>
    >> > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3
    >> > slipstreamed
    >> > that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?

    >>
    >> No.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
    >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  18. Ken Blake, MVP

    Ken Blake, MVP Flightless Bird

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:01:44 -0800, "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]"
    <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote:

    > Saying "No" is actually the answer.
    > So, how is that a negative reply?
    >
    > Did I miss something?




    Thanks for the support, but responding to trolls, or arguing with
    them, is not a great thing to do. Far better to simply killfile them.




    > "EN59CVH" <EN59CVH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:4B8DC426.CAFDBFEF@discussions.microsoft.com...
    > >
    > > Only a pig would reply in negative form especially someone who hasn't
    > > formatted a HD since Windows 3.0!!!!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:34:01 -0800, Jay <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > I have a laptop that originally had W98 installed, and has an XP Pro
    > >> > upgrade
    > >> > disk and product key. I wanted to do a clean XP install.
    > >> >
    > >> > Since I already have an XP Pro CD (not an upgrade version) with SP3
    > >> > slipstreamed, I used this instead of the upgrade CD, but the product
    > >> > key that
    > >> > came from the upgrade disk was declared invalid during the
    > >> > installation.
    > >>
    > >> For two reasons: upgrade vs. full, and Home vs. Professional.
    > >>
    > >> > I
    > >> > continued installing without entering a product key.
    > >> >
    > >> > Is there any way to persuade the installation to accept the product key
    > >> > from
    > >> > the upgrade CD? Eg a registry change?
    > >>
    > >> No.
    > >>
    > >> > If not, is there any way for me to make another CD with SP3
    > >> > slipstreamed
    > >> > that will accept the key that came with the upgrade CD?
    > >>
    > >> No.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
    > >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup


    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  19. Pig-MVP

    Pig-MVP Flightless Bird

    "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
    >


    > responding to trolls, or arguing with
    > them, is not a great thing to do. Far better to simply killfile them.


    Yes. We should have a general rule that whenever anybody corrects a
    pig, he should be branded a troll. From now onwards this is the rule.
    Microsoft Valuable Pigs can continue with their cock-ups; non valuable
    pigs who corrects them are all trolls.

    Very Good Rule.
     
  20. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    In news:4B903101.3EE8977A@discussions.microsoft.com,
    Pig-MVP <Pig-MVP@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Yes. We should have a general rule that whenever anybody corrects a
    > pig, he should be branded a troll. From now onwards this is the rule.
    > Microsoft Valuable Pigs can continue with their cock-ups; non valuable
    > pigs who corrects them are all trolls.
    >
    > Very Good Rule.


    We're seriously considering killfiling any Usenet poster with "MVP" in their
    name, but of course that would include you as well ... fitting the
    definition of an "innocent bystander" ?
     

Share This Page