• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

XenForo 2 XenWord Numbering Convention

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Keeping track of the over 130 different versions has caused a headache on many occasions. Someone is discussing one version and I'm looking at code of another version. I think this is easily solved by changing the numbering convention.

Currently, XenWord is using a three or four numbers separated by dots. For example, 3.5.2 is available for download. The challenge is that I'm still working on the bridge and someone reports a bug. It's very important to look at the same code base.

Recently this was a huge nightmare with people reporting problems with comments. This didn't seem possible when no one reported things months earlier. Yet, the bug was from code months prior to anyone reporting the issue.

At this point, XenWord 3.6 is being tested on this server. There are a few more changes I want to make with widget features. Otherwise, the majority of my time has been spent on XenWord connecting to XenForo 2. This version has been called XenWord 4 - until this morning.

To make things much easier for me, versions will now use the date of the last change. Currently, XenWord 2017.10.15 is on my local development machine. It connects to XenForo 2 and development is going much faster than anticipated; an alpha may be available sooner than expected. Someone asked if I can get it to also connect to XenForo 1. Basically a person chooses which XenForo version and rolls from that point.

I'll update the XenWord 4 News thread with the latest information on XenWord 2017.10.15.