1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winxp activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Meebers, Mar 11, 2010.

  1. Meebers

    Meebers Flightless Bird

    3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a XP pro
    disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just fine for the
    last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and reinstalled windowsxp
    pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into. Install went fine, however
    when trying to activate, changed the product key back to the original XP PRo
    disk version that I bought. MS automated activation says the key does not
    match after trying the new installation numbers. Tried activation twice no
    luck. Is there ever a person that answers, all I can get is the automated
    answer, or is my process wacked out.
     
  2. LD55ZRA

    LD55ZRA Flightless Bird

    Perhaps you could clarify this:

    "Install went fine, however when trying to activate, changed the product key
    back to the original XP PRo disk version that I bought". Are you saying
    that the installation was done without entering the serial number? The
    reason I am asking this is because it is possible to install XP with SP3
    without the serial number but you are required to enter the serial number
    when you go online to activate it.

    Please clarify this because it is likely that you are entering the wrong
    serial number because either you can't read it properly or something else.

    hth

    "Meebers" <Iam@bat.com> wrote in message
    news:-OG9lWYYwKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > 3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a XP pro
    > disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just fine for the
    > last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and reinstalled windowsxp
    > pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into. Install went fine, however
    > when trying to activate, changed the product key back to the original XP
    > PRo disk version that I bought. MS automated activation says the key does
    > not match after trying the new installation numbers. Tried activation
    > twice no luck. Is there ever a person that answers, all I can get is the
    > automated answer, or is my process wacked out.
     
  3. Andrew E.

    Andrew E. Flightless Bird

    Try,in the activation window,locate "change registration#"or change key
    #,a new number will show.Or,try the register by phone method.

    "Meebers" wrote:

    > 3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a XP pro
    > disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just fine for the
    > last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and reinstalled windowsxp
    > pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into. Install went fine, however
    > when trying to activate, changed the product key back to the original XP PRo
    > disk version that I bought. MS automated activation says the key does not
    > match after trying the new installation numbers. Tried activation twice no
    > luck. Is there ever a person that answers, all I can get is the automated
    > answer, or is my process wacked out.
    >
    > .
    >
     
  4. Patrick Keenan

    Patrick Keenan Flightless Bird

    "Meebers" <Iam@bat.com> wrote in message
    news:-OG9lWYYwKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > 3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a XP pro
    > disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just fine for the
    > last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and reinstalled windowsxp
    > pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into. Install went fine, however
    > when trying to activate, changed the product key back to the original XP
    > PRo disk version that I bought. MS automated activation says the key does
    > not match after trying the new installation numbers. Tried activation
    > twice no luck. Is there ever a person that answers, all I can get is the
    > automated answer, or is my process wacked out.


    Sounds to me like the key does not match the install type.

    Have you called the activation number?
     
  5. SC Tom

    SC Tom Flightless Bird

    "Meebers" <Iam@bat.com> wrote in message
    news:-OG9lWYYwKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > 3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a XP pro
    > disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just fine for the
    > last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and reinstalled windowsxp
    > pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into. Install went fine, however
    > when trying to activate, changed the product key back to the original XP
    > PRo disk version that I bought. MS automated activation says the key does
    > not match after trying the new installation numbers. Tried activation
    > twice no luck. Is there ever a person that answers, all I can get is the
    > automated answer, or is my process wacked out.


    If you installed XP Home from the laptop's original disk, then tried to use
    the XP Pro activation key, that's where your problem lies. If you're
    installing Home, you'll have to use the Home key, then upgrade/install Pro
    over it, then use the Pro key. If you want Pro from the start, go to the
    laptop manufacturer's web site, download all the drivers, create a driver CD
    (if one didn't come with the laptop), install Pro on a clean HDD, then
    install all the drivers, starting with the chipset drivers.
    --
    SC Tom
     
  6. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Meebers wrote:
    > 3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a
    > XP pro disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just
    > fine for the last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and
    > reinstalled windowsxp pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into.
    > Install went fine, however when trying to activate, changed the
    > product key back to the original XP PRo disk version that I bought. MS
    > automated activation says the key does not match after trying the
    > new installation numbers. Tried activation twice no luck. Is there
    > ever a person that answers, all I can get is the automated answer, or
    > is my process wacked out.


    That's confusing.

    You say that you "changed the product key." Changed it from what?

    Assuming you did the slipsteam correctly, you now have an XP Pro
    installation CD at the SP3 level (and it is an OEM version, not Retail).
    If you are performing a Clean Install, you need to enter the Product
    Key. Use the one that came with the XP Pro CD (it's basically the same
    installation CD as the one you created, just at an earlier SP level).
    Once the key is entered, there is no need to change anything!
     
  7. Meebers

    Meebers Flightless Bird

    Try this again

    Installed XP Pro (OEM) over the XP home edition(OEM) 3 yrs ago, everything
    worked normal
    last week HDD crash, install new HDD.
    Instead of installing the Xp Pro (OEM) CD SP0, and having to go thru all the
    updates;
    I installed a slipstreamed (sp3) copy of Xp Pro from another Xp computer
    Intent here was to use the product key from the one I bought.
    so...during activation when it asked me for the product key, I used the one
    I bought, activation failed so I called the number (telephone 888 571 2048)
    got an automated answer (no person) in which I input the new installation id
    furnished from the activation attempt, it also failed.

    I did not use the home edition product key
    I did use the product key from the one I bought
    I did use the correct product key from the label, triple checked, 2nd person
    check.
    When activation failed the second time, I then chose the option on the
    activation screen of change the product key, again trying the one I bought.
    Again failure, the automated voice said take the product back to your vendor
    (Best Buy) it worked 3 yrs ago, should work now??


    "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
    news:-OpIAbefwKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > Meebers wrote:
    >> 3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a
    >> XP pro disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just
    >> fine for the last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and
    >> reinstalled windowsxp pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into.
    >> Install went fine, however when trying to activate, changed the
    >> product key back to the original XP PRo disk version that I bought. MS
    >> automated activation says the key does not match after trying the
    >> new installation numbers. Tried activation twice no luck. Is there
    >> ever a person that answers, all I can get is the automated answer, or
    >> is my process wacked out.

    >
    > That's confusing.
    >
    > You say that you "changed the product key." Changed it from what?
    >
    > Assuming you did the slipsteam correctly, you now have an XP Pro
    > installation CD at the SP3 level (and it is an OEM version, not Retail).
    > If you are performing a Clean Install, you need to enter the Product Key.
    > Use the one that came with the XP Pro CD (it's basically the same
    > installation CD as the one you created, just at an earlier SP level). Once
    > the key is entered, there is no need to change anything!
    >
     
  8. Meebers

    Meebers Flightless Bird

    Yes the install was without entering the product key, never asked. After a
    couple of days, tried the activation and that is when I entered the product
    key from the one I bought. Wxp pro . product key entry was exactly from
    the label.

    "LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:hnc9do$n5v$1@speranza.aioe.org...
    > Perhaps you could clarify this:
    >
    > "Install went fine, however when trying to activate, changed the product
    > key back to the original XP PRo disk version that I bought". Are you
    > saying that the installation was done without entering the serial number?
    > The reason I am asking this is because it is possible to install XP with
    > SP3 without the serial number but you are required to enter the serial
    > number when you go online to activate it.
    >
    > Please clarify this because it is likely that you are entering the wrong
    > serial number because either you can't read it properly or something else.
    >
    > hth
    >
    > "Meebers" <Iam@bat.com> wrote in message
    > news:-OG9lWYYwKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >> 3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a XP
    >> pro disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just fine
    >> for the last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and reinstalled
    >> windowsxp pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into. Install went
    >> fine, however when trying to activate, changed the product key back to
    >> the original XP PRo disk version that I bought. MS automated activation
    >> says the key does not match after trying the new installation numbers.
    >> Tried activation twice no luck. Is there ever a person that answers, all
    >> I can get is the automated answer, or is my process wacked out.

    >
    >
     
  9. C

    C Flightless Bird

    Meebers wrote:
    > Try this again
    >
    > Installed XP Pro (OEM) over the XP home edition(OEM) 3 yrs ago,
    > everything worked normal
    > last week HDD crash, install new HDD.
    > Instead of installing the Xp Pro (OEM) CD SP0, and having to go thru all
    > the updates;
    > I installed a slipstreamed (sp3) copy of Xp Pro from another Xp computer
    > Intent here was to use the product key from the one I bought.
    > so...during activation when it asked me for the product key, I used the
    > one I bought, activation failed so I called the number (telephone 888
    > 571 2048) got an automated answer (no person) in which I input the new
    > installation id furnished from the activation attempt, it also failed.


    Use the phone activation method again but this time hold until you get a
    live person.


    --
    C
     
  10. Meebers

    Meebers Flightless Bird

    Don't know if a live person is there 24/7 or not, but if it is a day time
    thing only will try again shortly.... Tx

    "C" <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
    news:hndrvm$kd4$1@speranza.aioe.org...
    > Meebers wrote:
    >> Try this again
    >>
    >> Installed XP Pro (OEM) over the XP home edition(OEM) 3 yrs ago,
    >> everything worked normal
    >> last week HDD crash, install new HDD.
    >> Instead of installing the Xp Pro (OEM) CD SP0, and having to go thru all
    >> the updates;
    >> I installed a slipstreamed (sp3) copy of Xp Pro from another Xp computer
    >> Intent here was to use the product key from the one I bought.
    >> so...during activation when it asked me for the product key, I used the
    >> one I bought, activation failed so I called the number (telephone 888 571
    >> 2048) got an automated answer (no person) in which I input the new
    >> installation id furnished from the activation attempt, it also failed.

    >
    > Use the phone activation method again but this time hold until you get a
    > live person.
    >
    >
    > --
    > C
     
  11. SC Tom

    SC Tom Flightless Bird

    Don't know about the Microsoft menu (I haven't had to activate in years),
    but quite often pressing 0 a few times during the automated spiel will get a
    live person because the menu program gets confused. Works well on my ISP
    support line and my bank :)
    --
    SC Tom

    "Meebers" <Iam@bat.com> wrote in message
    news:%23LWd4cgwKHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > Don't know if a live person is there 24/7 or not, but if it is a day time
    > thing only will try again shortly.... Tx
    >
    > "C" <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:hndrvm$kd4$1@speranza.aioe.org...
    >> Meebers wrote:
    >>> Try this again
    >>>
    >>> Installed XP Pro (OEM) over the XP home edition(OEM) 3 yrs ago,
    >>> everything worked normal
    >>> last week HDD crash, install new HDD.
    >>> Instead of installing the Xp Pro (OEM) CD SP0, and having to go thru all
    >>> the updates;
    >>> I installed a slipstreamed (sp3) copy of Xp Pro from another Xp computer
    >>> Intent here was to use the product key from the one I bought.
    >>> so...during activation when it asked me for the product key, I used the
    >>> one I bought, activation failed so I called the number (telephone 888
    >>> 571 2048) got an automated answer (no person) in which I input the new
    >>> installation id furnished from the activation attempt, it also failed.

    >>
    >> Use the phone activation method again but this time hold until you get a
    >> live person.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> C

    >
     
  12. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Inline.

    Meebers wrote:
    > Try this again
    >
    > Installed XP Pro (OEM) over the XP home edition(OEM) 3 yrs ago,
    > everything worked normal
    > last week HDD crash, install new HDD.
    > Instead of installing the Xp Pro (OEM) CD SP0, and having to go thru
    > all the updates;
    > I installed a slipstreamed (sp3) copy of Xp Pro from another Xp
    > computer


    Not enough information!

    What do you mean by "from another Xp computer"?

    What kind of XP Pro installation CD did you use as the basis for the
    newly created slipstreamed one? Retail, generic OEM, or branded OEM?

    > Intent here was to use the product key from the one I bought.


    This will work *only* if the types (i.e., Retail or OEM) match! So if
    you created a new installation CD using an OEM CD as the basis, a
    Product Key from a Retail installation CD will *not* work. What you
    should have done was create an installation CD, slipstreaming SP3 into
    the one you bought. Then, the Product Key (of the one you bought) would
    defniitely work!

    > so...during activation when it asked me for the product key, I used
    > the one I bought, activation failed so I called the number (telephone
    > 888 571 2048) got an automated answer (no person) in which I input
    > the new installation id furnished from the activation attempt, it
    > also failed.


    That is normal behavior in the event the types (Retail/OEM) don't match.
    If the types do match, you need to speak with a live person.

    > I did not use the home edition product key
    > I did use the product key from the one I bought
    > I did use the correct product key from the label, triple checked, 2nd
    > person check.
    > When activation failed the second time, I then chose the option on the
    > activation screen of change the product key, again trying the one I
    > bought. Again failure, the automated voice said take the product back
    > to your vendor (Best Buy) it worked 3 yrs ago, should work now??


    You need to identify each installation CD (and thus license) completely.
    Saying "XP Pro" is only partial information. We need to know the type
    (again: Retail, generic OEM, or branded OEM) of each.


    > "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
    > news:-OpIAbefwKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >> Meebers wrote:
    >>> 3yr old laptop with xp home installed by vendor. Went and bought a
    >>> XP pro disk (legal) oem disk and installed and has been working just
    >>> fine for the last 3 years. HDD went south, bought a new HDD and
    >>> reinstalled windowsxp pro from a disk that I slipstreamed sp3 into.
    >>> Install went fine, however when trying to activate, changed the
    >>> product key back to the original XP PRo disk version that I bought.
    >>> MS automated activation says the key does not match after trying the
    >>> new installation numbers. Tried activation twice no luck. Is there
    >>> ever a person that answers, all I can get is the automated answer,
    >>> or is my process wacked out.

    >>
    >> That's confusing.
    >>
    >> You say that you "changed the product key." Changed it from what?
    >>
    >> Assuming you did the slipsteam correctly, you now have an XP Pro
    >> installation CD at the SP3 level (and it is an OEM version, not
    >> Retail). If you are performing a Clean Install, you need to enter
    >> the Product Key. Use the one that came with the XP Pro CD (it's
    >> basically the same installation CD as the one you created, just at
    >> an earlier SP level). Once the key is entered, there is no need to
    >> change anything!
     

Share This Page