1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Virus

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Eric, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. Eric

    Eric Flightless Bird

    We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional machines. It
    locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer using
    multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time, however
    the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and found
    nothing as well.

    It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    ethernet cable.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
     
  2. C

    C Flightless Bird

    Eric wrote:
    > We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional machines. It
    > locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer using
    > multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time, however
    > the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and found
    > nothing as well.
    >
    > It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > ethernet cable.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


    Try removing all the system restore points after doing another malware
    clean up as malware can hang out in there.

    --
    C
     
  3. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Eric wrote:
    > We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional
    > machines. It locks the computer up at random intervals. We've
    > cleaned the computer using multiple different anti-viruses which
    > fixes the problem for a time, however the virus always comes back
    > within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and found nothing as well.
    >
    > It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > ethernet cable.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


    What is the name of the virus?
     
  4. duke

    duke Flightless Bird

    On Mar 10, 8:05 am, Eric <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional machines. It
    > locks the computer up at random intervals.  We've cleaned the computer using
    > multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time, however
    > the virus always comes back within a day.  We've used anti-rootkits andfound
    > nothing as well.  
    >
    > It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > ethernet cable.  
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  


    When you say "connected with the etherrnet cable", I assume you are
    referring to being connected to a LAN.
    Is it possible that the virus is out there somewhere on you network?

    Your best bet is to install a active resident virus scanner which
    should stop the virus before it infects the computer.
    If you already have one installed, are the pattern files updated ?

    Duke
     
  5. Unknown

    Unknown Flightless Bird

    Are you sure it is not a heat problem?
    "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:EACD67D0-2899-448E-B39B-58D67012093E@microsoft.com...
    > We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional machines.
    > It
    > locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer
    > using
    > multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time,
    > however
    > the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and
    > found
    > nothing as well.
    >
    > It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > ethernet cable.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
     
  6. C

    C Flightless Bird

    Unknown wrote:
    > Are you sure it is not a heat problem?
    > "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:EACD67D0-2899-448E-B39B-58D67012093E@microsoft.com...
    >> We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional machines.
    >> It
    >> locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer
    >> using
    >> multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time,
    >> however
    >> the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and
    >> found
    >> nothing as well.
    >>
    >> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    >> ethernet cable.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    >
    >


    I doubt that connecting to an ether net would create much heat.

    --
    C
     
  7. Unknown

    Unknown Flightless Bird

    Could be mere coincidence.
    "C" <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
    news:hn8ijn$2pm$1@speranza.aioe.org...
    > Unknown wrote:
    >> Are you sure it is not a heat problem?
    >> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:EACD67D0-2899-448E-B39B-58D67012093E@microsoft.com...
    >>> We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional
    >>> machines. It
    >>> locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer
    >>> using
    >>> multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time,
    >>> however
    >>> the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and
    >>> found
    >>> nothing as well.
    >>>
    >>> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    >>> ethernet cable.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    >>
    >>

    >
    > I doubt that connecting to an ether net would create much heat.
    >
    > --
    > C
     
  8. C

    C Flightless Bird

    Unknown wrote:
    > Could be mere coincidence.
    > "C" <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:hn8ijn$2pm$1@speranza.aioe.org...
    >> Unknown wrote:
    >>> Are you sure it is not a heat problem?
    >>> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:EACD67D0-2899-448E-B39B-58D67012093E@microsoft.com...
    >>>> We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional
    >>>> machines. It
    >>>> locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer
    >>>> using
    >>>> multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time,
    >>>> however
    >>>> the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and
    >>>> found
    >>>> nothing as well.
    >>>>
    >>>> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    >>>> ethernet cable.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>

    >> I doubt that connecting to an ether net would create much heat.
    >>
    >> --
    >> C

    >
    >


    Once, yes. Every time, no.

    --
    C
     
  9. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    "C" <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
    news:hn8lfm$7rs$2@speranza.aioe.org...

    [Context restored; please don't top-post]

    >>>>> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected
    >>>>> with the ethernet cable.
    >>>> Are you sure it is not a heat problem?
    >>> I doubt that connecting to an ether net would create much heat.

    >> Could be mere coincidence.

    > Once, yes. Every time, no.


    .... unless the network card activity was the source of the heat. Not likely
    for sure, but not worth dismissing outright either.
     
  10. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
    expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
    since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
    Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
    Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

    Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
    dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
    software), and adware.
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

    Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:
    https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/

    Otherwise...

    1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

    NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
    MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
    machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.

    2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
    in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

    2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

    3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
    in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
    • http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    • http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
    • http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
    • http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

    **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
    http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

    If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
    this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
    independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


    Eric wrote:
    > We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional machines.
    > It locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer
    > using multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time,
    > however the virus always comes back within a day. We've used
    > anti-rootkits
    > and found nothing as well.
    >
    > It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > ethernet cable.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
     
  11. Unknown

    Unknown Flightless Bird

    It 'SEEMS' to only lock up if connected to the Ethernet cable.
    Why do you assume 'always'?
    "C" <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
    news:hn8lfm$7rs$2@speranza.aioe.org...
    > Unknown wrote:
    >> Could be mere coincidence.
    >> "C" <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:hn8ijn$2pm$1@speranza.aioe.org...
    >>> Unknown wrote:
    >>>> Are you sure it is not a heat problem?
    >>>> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>> news:EACD67D0-2899-448E-B39B-58D67012093E@microsoft.com...
    >>>>> We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional
    >>>>> machines. It
    >>>>> locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer
    >>>>> using
    >>>>> multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time,
    >>>>> however
    >>>>> the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits
    >>>>> and found
    >>>>> nothing as well.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    >>>>> ethernet cable.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>>
    >>> I doubt that connecting to an ether net would create much heat.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> C

    >>
    >>

    >
    > Once, yes. Every time, no.
    >
    > --
    > C
     
  12. Elmo

    Elmo Flightless Bird

    Eric wrote:
    > We've encountered a virus on one of our Windows XP Professional machines. It
    > locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer using
    > multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time, however
    > the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and found
    > nothing as well.
    >
    > It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > ethernet cable.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


    Suggestion:

    As a test, try another method of connecting, like another NIC, or
    wireless dongle. Or try removing the sound card, as a test. Basically,
    I suspect the current ethernet card is conflicting with another peripheral.

    --
    Joe =o)
     
  13. EN59CVH

    EN59CVH Flightless Bird

    Perhaps it is not the virus at all. Windows XP system does act funny
    from time to time for no apparent reasons. The only way to clear this
    anomaly is to reformat the HD, re-install XP and all applications and
    you are done. Please backup any user data before formatting your HD
    because you are not likely to get them back after the format process.

    hth


    Eric wrote:
    >
    > We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional machines. It
    > locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned the computer using
    > multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time, however
    > the virus always comes back within a day. We've used anti-rootkits and found
    > nothing as well.
    >
    > It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > ethernet cable.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
     
  14. EN59CVH

    EN59CVH Flightless Bird

    C wrote:
    >
    > I doubt that connecting to an ether net would create much heat.


    Ah but you are dealing with Unknown! He seems to do other things as
    well apart from connecting to an ether. I can't say what he does just
    in case children are still looking for advice from Pig-Bear!

    hth
     
  15. EN59CVH

    EN59CVH Flightless Bird

    Elmo wrote:
    >


    > As a test, try another method of connecting, like another NIC, or
    > wireless dongle. Or try removing the sound card, as a test. Basically,
    > I suspect the current ethernet card is conflicting with another peripheral.


    Possibly, and this should clear up if the OP reformats the HD!

    hth
     
  16. MowGreen

    MowGreen Flightless Bird

    C wrote:
    > Eric wrote:
    >> We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional
    >> machines. It locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned
    >> the computer using multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the
    >> problem for a time, however the virus always comes back within a day.
    >> We've used anti-rootkits and found nothing as well.
    >> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    >> ethernet cable.
    >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    >
    > Try removing all the system restore points after doing another malware
    > clean up as malware can hang out in there.
    >


    Let's end this misconception, misunderstanding, or miscomprehension -

    *** Malware in System Restore can *NOT* infect a clean OS and is *not*
    active unless a restore point that includes it is used ***
    Period !!!

    MowGreen
    ================
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ================

    banthecheck.com
    "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
     
  17. C

    C Flightless Bird

    MowGreen wrote:
    > C wrote:
    >> Eric wrote:
    >>> We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional
    >>> machines. It locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned
    >>> the computer using multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the
    >>> problem for a time, however the virus always comes back within a day.
    >>> We've used anti-rootkits and found nothing as well.
    >>> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    >>> ethernet cable.
    >>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    >>
    >> Try removing all the system restore points after doing another malware
    >> clean up as malware can hang out in there.
    >>

    >
    > Let's end this misconception, misunderstanding, or miscomprehension -
    >
    > *** Malware in System Restore can *NOT* infect a clean OS and is *not*
    > active unless a restore point that includes it is used ***
    > Period !!!
    >
    > MowGreen



    That hasn't been my experience.

    --
    C
     
  18. Ken Blake, MVP

    Ken Blake, MVP Flightless Bird

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 01:07:36 +0100, C <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote:

    > MowGreen wrote:
    > > C wrote:
    > >> Eric wrote:
    > >>> We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional
    > >>> machines. It locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned
    > >>> the computer using multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the
    > >>> problem for a time, however the virus always comes back within a day.
    > >>> We've used anti-rootkits and found nothing as well.
    > >>> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > >>> ethernet cable.
    > >>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Try removing all the system restore points after doing another malware
    > >> clean up as malware can hang out in there.
    > >>

    > >
    > > Let's end this misconception, misunderstanding, or miscomprehension -
    > >
    > > *** Malware in System Restore can *NOT* infect a clean OS and is *not*
    > > active unless a restore point that includes it is used ***
    > > Period !!!
    > >
    > > MowGreen

    >
    >
    > That hasn't been my experience.



    There is no question about it. What MowGreen says is absolutely
    correct. You are mistaken about your experience.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup
     
  19. Ronin

    Ronin Flightless Bird

    You have diagnosed an infection that absolutely, positively came from a SR
    restore point? You're absolutely certain that it didn't come from elsewhere?
    Do you mind sharing the information necessary to repeat the issue? I am
    perfectly able and eager to do so, and I have all the necessary equipment
    (i.e., a spare machine that I use for experimentation and a fair amount of
    experience analyzing system behavior.) Perhaps you can at least identify
    the virus? The more specific the better.

    Seriously, I can't imagine any way for something to execute itself from
    inside a SR restore point, but if it can be done I want to know all about
    it.

    --
    Ronin

    "C" <c@nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
    news:hn9c8b$e5k$1@speranza.aioe.org...
    > MowGreen wrote:
    >> C wrote:
    >>> Eric wrote:
    >>>> We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional
    >>>> machines. It locks the computer up at random intervals. We've cleaned
    >>>> the computer using multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the
    >>>> problem for a time, however the virus always comes back within a day.
    >>>> We've used anti-rootkits and found nothing as well.
    >>>> It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    >>>> ethernet cable.
    >>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Try removing all the system restore points after doing another malware
    >>> clean up as malware can hang out in there.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Let's end this misconception, misunderstanding, or miscomprehension -
    >>
    >> *** Malware in System Restore can *NOT* infect a clean OS and is *not*
    >> active unless a restore point that includes it is used ***
    >> Period !!!
    >>
    >> MowGreen

    >
    >
    > That hasn't been my experience.
    >
    > --
    > C
     
  20. Jose

    Jose Flightless Bird

    On Mar 10, 4:53 pm, EN59CVH <EN59...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > Perhaps it is not the virus at all.  Windows XP system does act funny
    > from time to time for no apparent reasons.  The only way to clear this
    > anomaly is to reformat the HD, re-install XP and all applications and
    > you are done.  Please backup any user data before formatting your HD
    > because you are not likely to get them back after the format process.
    >
    > hth
    >
    >
    >
    > Eric wrote:
    >
    > > We've encountered a virus on one of our windows xp professional machines.  It
    > > locks the computer up at random intervals.  We've cleaned the computer using
    > > multiple different anti-viruses which fixes the problem for a time, however
    > > the virus always comes back within a day.  We've used anti-rootkits and found
    > > nothing as well.

    >
    > > It also seems to only lock the computer up if it is connected with the
    > > ethernet cable.

    >
    > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


    My systems do not act funny and if I ever see one that is acting
    funny, it won't be for long.
     

Share This Page