• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Why do I turn off MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Political controversy is something that used to interest me. I've lost interest now because the hyperbole has moved too far beyond facts and simply into ideology and name-calling. There isn't anything to learn.

Consider MSNBC as a singularity, repeating a message throughout the day. The host does not matter; The topics remain the same. It only takes minutes to discover the point of view - and the rest is just noise.

Fox News and CNN are no better. Cable no longer serves a purpose for news but is just running commentary - commentary that is based on ideology and not facts.

Blogs and news sites are no better. Each site portrays itself with exclusives but the talking points quickly become evident. For example, a few minutes on Huffington Post provides all the talking points necessary to understand which side is using which logical fallacy to promote their own agenda.

Free thinking - critical thinking - all seem buzzwords rather than a purpose of serving the public need for information.

Sadly, nothing exists for someone wanting news. Just give me the facts - and leave out the commentary. Stop showing me emotional pictures above Trayvon Martin- pictures from years ago - and instead just let me read news. Stop the sensationalism. Stop the spin - and just provide facts.

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Here! Here! You've read my mind about so called news channels and programs. In the early 1960s, before your memory of it, I worked for a man who was buying up old theater quality films in order to lease them to the growing TV market. He said that TV stations needed something to fill TV screens 24 hours a day, and creative new material by talented people could not be produced fast enough to meet that opening. Your words reminded me of his comment. He was right, of course, then and now! Yes?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I agree that there is a preponderance of noise on these news stations. CNN certainly fell into this trap. Maybe this isn't lack of talent but lack of economics - and it is just easier to fill the airwaves with noise - as well as cheaper.