• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Who is a Learner?

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Who is a Learner?

Hi Teach. ... I give you conditional permission to teach me. You choose what, where, and when I should learn. I choose if and how I will learn and how it benefits me to do so. Them's the rules. Please respect that teaching me is that simple. With respect, if you don't believe me, try it your way as my other teachers done an' see if you learn me as much as you can my way. (Ima Learner, 2011)

A learner is anyone who pays attention to a physical sensation (sound, sight, smell, touch, etc.) that identifies a potential comfort or threat to that person. Teachers use that attention to show people a behavior pattern to use to obtain comfort and safety. [Why Don't People Learn?]

Behavioral scientists report that paying attention to physical sensations is the first step of learning. They conducted empirical experiments for more than a century that refine descriptions of these sensations and their uses to learn.

A learners' view (ALV) consists of their reports of how people learn and of how educators and others used this view to increase learning even among those who perform below standards and some say fail to learn.

Not all learners are enrolled in schools and not all students in schools appear to behave as learners all of the time. Until, that is, teachers gain the attention of students in ways consistent with choices learners make to change behavior patterns.

Vignette

A teacher agrees by contract to increase learning of all students in a classroom. The teacher used a learners' view (ALV) to bring out the learner in each student.

This teacher's lesson plans identified what to do in order to gain attention, in seconds, of each of the 50 students in the classroom; how and in which order to present each detail of the content of the lesson in order to obtain which one of five generic outcomes; as well as a Plan B for each part of the lesson in case any learner did not complete Plan A.

Yes, to the skeptic, real teachers plan this way and obtain accelerated and increased learning by students in their classrooms. Classic Education at EduClassics.com shows other teachers how to do so also. [Glossary of Terms]

Return to Home of Classic Education at EduClassics.com.
View the Post on the Blog