1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What NewsGroup services do you like?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CDavey, Jul 31, 2010.

  1. CDavey

    CDavey Flightless Bird

    Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    any good free ones out there.
     
  2. Sunny Bard

    Sunny Bard Flightless Bird

    CDavey wrote:

    > Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    > joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    > folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    > wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    > any good free ones out there.


    eternal-september works well, payment optional.
     
  3. Percival P. Cassidy

    Percival P. Cassidy Flightless Bird

    On 07/31/10 02:27 pm, CDavey wrote:
    > Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    > joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    > folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    > wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    > any good free ones out there.


    eternal-september is free;

    news.individual.net is cheap (10? Euros/YEAR) and has better retention;
    no binaries.

    Perce
     
  4. Ken Blake

    Ken Blake Flightless Bird

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:27:37 -0700, CDavey <cdutter1@spamex.com>
    wrote:

    > Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    > joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    > folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    > wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    > any good free ones out there.




    Here are three good free ones:

    news.eternal-september.org
    aioe.org
    news.albasani.net
     
  5. LouB

    LouB Flightless Bird

    Sunny Bard wrote:
    > CDavey wrote:
    >
    >> Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    >> joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    >> folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    >> wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    >> any good free ones out there.

    >
    > eternal-september works well, payment optional.
    >


    Payment never needed. No binaries. http://www.eternal-september.org/

    Lou
     
  6. CDavey

    CDavey Flightless Bird

    Thank you all for the speedy replies, I joined eternal-september. Is
    there any reason to join more than one? I also now have a mixed
    NewsGroup Directory list that has both SuperNews and eternal-september
    items listed on it. Will eternal-september pick up stuff from the
    SuperNews listing? As you can see I'm pretty new at this newsgroup
    stuff. Need some help to get deeper into it.

    -----------------------------


    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:04:21 -0700, Ken Blake
    <kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:27:37 -0700, CDavey <cdutter1@spamex.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    >> joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    >> folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    >> wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    >> any good free ones out there.

    >
    >
    >
    >Here are three good free ones:
    >
    >news.eternal-september.org
    >aioe.org
    >news.albasani.net
    >
     
  7. Sunny Bard

    Sunny Bard Flightless Bird

    LouB wrote:
    > Sunny Bard wrote:
    >> CDavey wrote:
    >>
    >>> wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    >>> any good free ones out there.

    >>
    >> eternal-september works well, payment optional.

    >
    > Payment never needed. No binaries. http://www.eternal-september.org/


    Never needed, but that donate button is there because payment is
    optional ...
     
  8. Andy from Dover

    Andy from Dover Flightless Bird

    "LouB" <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:4C5484F3.6050204@invalid.invalid...
    > Sunny Bard wrote:
    > > CDavey wrote:
    > >
    > >> Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    > >> joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    > >> folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    > >> wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    > >> any good free ones out there.

    > >
    > > eternal-september works well, payment optional.
    > >

    >
    > Payment never needed. No binaries. http://www.eternal-september.org/
    >
    > Lou

    ES has some binary groups. I've subscribed to alt.binaries.photos.original
    and am happy with the photos posted there (and I've posted my own thru e-s).

    When I first joined there weren't any binary groups and now there are about
    80. You have to sign up to get all the groups but that's free. Go for it and
    search for binaries. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
     
  9. Parko

    Parko Flightless Bird

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:33:15 -0700, CDavey scrawled:

    > Thank you all for the speedy replies, I joined eternal-september. Is
    > there any reason to join more than one? I also now have a mixed
    > NewsGroup Directory list that has both SuperNews and eternal-september
    > items listed on it. Will eternal-september pick up stuff from the
    > SuperNews listing? As you can see I'm pretty new at this newsgroup
    > stuff. Need some help to get deeper into it.
    >


    Then you may want to read this as a primer:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

    Be aware that there are several barking mad potty-mouthed infants posting
    to this NG. It would be best if you ignore them.
    --
    You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes. "This is not a
    psychotic episode. It's a cleansing moment of clarity."
     
  10. Carroll Robbins

    Carroll Robbins Flightless Bird

    CDavey <cdutter1@spamex.com> wrote on Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:33:15 -0700 in
    <9p19569t8ug7lqh1g6der737h28arosdji@4ax.com>

    >Is there any reason to join more than one?


    eternal-september doesn't carry most binary groups. Most people join
    multiple servers to improve reliability or to have access to more groups.

    >I also now have a mixed
    >NewsGroup Directory list that has both SuperNews and eternal-september
    >items listed on it. Will eternal-september pick up stuff from the
    >SuperNews listing?


    By default in Forté Agent no. Where a Folder's headers and bodies come from
    and posts go to is controlled by the News Access Plan in Folder Properties.
    Groups that are listed for both can be retrieved from either or both as you
    set.

    The Agent Help file has a lot of good info.
    --
    Carroll B. Robbins, Jr.
     
  11. C. Davey Utter

    C. Davey Utter Flightless Bird

    I'll donate, I don't mind paying for something I'm using. I'm
    retired, on a fixed income, so $9.95 a month is a bit high for my
    circumstances, but I'll certainly donate.


    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:28:38 +0100, Sunny Bard <sunnybard@txinfo.org>
    wrote:

    >LouB wrote:
    >> Sunny Bard wrote:
    >>> CDavey wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    >>>> any good free ones out there.
    >>>
    >>> eternal-september works well, payment optional.

    >>
    >> Payment never needed. No binaries. http://www.eternal-september.org/

    >
    >Never needed, but that donate button is there because payment is
    >optional ...
     
  12. C. Davey Utter

    C. Davey Utter Flightless Bird

    Very cool, thanks!

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:29:53 -0400, "Andy from Dover"
    <cheadle@juno.com> wrote:

    >
    >"LouB" <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >news:4C5484F3.6050204@invalid.invalid...
    >> Sunny Bard wrote:
    >> > CDavey wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    >> >> joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    >> >> folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    >> >> wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    >> >> any good free ones out there.
    >> >
    >> > eternal-september works well, payment optional.
    >> >

    >>
    >> Payment never needed. No binaries. http://www.eternal-september.org/
    >>
    >> Lou

    >ES has some binary groups. I've subscribed to alt.binaries.photos.original
    >and am happy with the photos posted there (and I've posted my own thru e-s).
    >
    >When I first joined there weren't any binary groups and now there are about
    >80. You have to sign up to get all the groups but that's free. Go for it and
    >search for binaries. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    >
     
  13. C. Davey Utter

    C. Davey Utter Flightless Bird

    I am no stranger to newsgroups, I have been using AGENT for years, I
    just never really got into them very deeply, so I know about, and have
    already seen, the idiots that abound. How do people find time for
    such stuff?

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 01:01:37 +0000 (UTC), Parko
    <nothere@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:33:15 -0700, CDavey scrawled:
    >
    >> Thank you all for the speedy replies, I joined eternal-september. Is
    >> there any reason to join more than one? I also now have a mixed
    >> NewsGroup Directory list that has both SuperNews and eternal-september
    >> items listed on it. Will eternal-september pick up stuff from the
    >> SuperNews listing? As you can see I'm pretty new at this newsgroup
    >> stuff. Need some help to get deeper into it.
    >>

    >
    >Then you may want to read this as a primer:
    >http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
    >
    >Be aware that there are several barking mad potty-mouthed infants posting
    >to this NG. It would be best if you ignore them.
     
  14. C. Davey Utter

    C. Davey Utter Flightless Bird

    Yeah, I'll be getting into that in the next couple of days. The main
    thing was finding free servers, from there I will gather knowledge. I
    had my first CompuServe account in 1972, so I've been online daily
    almost solidly since then. We used to be on at 300 baud real time
    paying by the minute. Frequently monthly bills were over $300.00.
    Trying to make up for that now, I'm sure SuperNews will hate to see me
    go.

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:42:49 -0400, Carroll Robbins
    <carrollrobbins@morrisbb.net.invalid> wrote:

    >CDavey <cdutter1@spamex.com> wrote on Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:33:15 -0700 in
    ><9p19569t8ug7lqh1g6der737h28arosdji@4ax.com>
    >
    >>Is there any reason to join more than one?

    >
    >eternal-september doesn't carry most binary groups. Most people join
    >multiple servers to improve reliability or to have access to more groups.
    >
    >>I also now have a mixed
    >>NewsGroup Directory list that has both SuperNews and eternal-september
    >>items listed on it. Will eternal-september pick up stuff from the
    >>SuperNews listing?

    >
    >By default in Forté Agent no. Where a Folder's headers and bodies come from
    >and posts go to is controlled by the News Access Plan in Folder Properties.
    >Groups that are listed for both can be retrieved from either or both as you
    >set.
    >
    >The Agent Help file has a lot of good info.
     
  15. Parko

    Parko Flightless Bird

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:24:59 -0700, C. Davey Utter scrawled:

    > How do people find time for
    > such stuff?


    I assume they're unemployable or are receiving medical benefit payments
    for a self inflicted acquired brain injury.

    --
    You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes. "This is not a
    psychotic episode. It's a cleansing moment of clarity."
     
  16. Stefan Patric

    Stefan Patric Flightless Bird

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:27:37 -0700, CDavey wrote:

    > Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly


    Mine, too.

    > joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable folks.
    > SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm wondering
    > what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are any good
    > free ones out there.


    I currently use aioe.org (http://www.aioe.org/). It's free, has no
    binary or warez groups, and has restrictions on posting. It also doesn't
    carry all groups (besides the binaries). Mainly carries only those with
    activity. Best read their web site.

    I've been using them for a month and have no complaints. It carries all
    the groups (about two dozen) that I frequent.

    If you do decide to go with aioe, you'll need a real Usenet reader and
    one that supports SSL for secure posting, etc. just to be safe.

    If you're looking for a reasonable "for pay" server, http://usenet-
    news.net/ or http://ngroups.net/ are the best I found. The Block Quota
    accounts are the most economical for a user, that is, you're not running
    your own nntp server locally. I had looked at both in case aioe didn't
    work well, but since it does, I doubt if I'll use either.

    Stef
     
  17. C. Davey Utter

    C. Davey Utter Flightless Bird

    I think eternal-september is going to work very well for me, might
    even grab a couple more. I like newsgroups, my record for getting an
    answer to a stupid question is 22 seconds! THAT'S what computers are
    for!



    On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 03:47:27 +0000 (UTC), Stefan Patric
    <not@this.address.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:27:37 -0700, CDavey wrote:
    >
    >> Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly

    >
    >Mine, too.
    >
    >> joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable folks.
    >> SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm wondering
    >> what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are any good
    >> free ones out there.

    >
    >I currently use aioe.org (http://www.aioe.org/). It's free, has no
    >binary or warez groups, and has restrictions on posting. It also doesn't
    >carry all groups (besides the binaries). Mainly carries only those with
    >activity. Best read their web site.
    >
    >I've been using them for a month and have no complaints. It carries all
    >the groups (about two dozen) that I frequent.
    >
    >If you do decide to go with aioe, you'll need a real Usenet reader and
    >one that supports SSL for secure posting, etc. just to be safe.
    >
    >If you're looking for a reasonable "for pay" server, http://usenet-
    >news.net/ or http://ngroups.net/ are the best I found. The Block Quota
    >accounts are the most economical for a user, that is, you're not running
    >your own nntp server locally. I had looked at both in case aioe didn't
    >work well, but since it does, I doubt if I'll use either.
    >
    >Stef
     
  18. C. Davey Utter

    C. Davey Utter Flightless Bird

    Ok, I added alt.binaries.photos.original to my list, but now I get a
    "481 invalid credentials" error when I attempt to DL the headers. Any
    help here?


    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:29:53 -0400, "Andy from Dover"
    <cheadle@juno.com> wrote:

    >
    >"LouB" <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >news:4C5484F3.6050204@invalid.invalid...
    >> Sunny Bard wrote:
    >> > CDavey wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly
    >> >> joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    >> >> folks. SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm
    >> >> wondering what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are
    >> >> any good free ones out there.
    >> >
    >> > eternal-september works well, payment optional.
    >> >

    >>
    >> Payment never needed. No binaries. http://www.eternal-september.org/
    >>
    >> Lou

    >ES has some binary groups. I've subscribed to alt.binaries.photos.original
    >and am happy with the photos posted there (and I've posted my own thru e-s).
    >
    >When I first joined there weren't any binary groups and now there are about
    >80. You have to sign up to get all the groups but that's free. Go for it and
    >search for binaries. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    >
     
  19. Carroll Robbins

    Carroll Robbins Flightless Bird

    C. Davey Utter <CDavey@spamex.com> wrote on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 01:53:20 -0700
    in <s6da56doosck45gna61kpe2gkqe674tr0i@4ax.com>

    >Ok, I added alt.binaries.photos.original to my list, but now I get a
    >"481 invalid credentials" error when I attempt to DL the headers. Any
    >help here?


    It works fine here. Where does your new access plan say it is trying to get
    the headers from?
    --
    Carroll B. Robbins, Jr.
     
  20. Stefan Patric

    Stefan Patric Flightless Bird

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:43:08 -0700, C. Davey Utter wrote:

    > I think eternal-september is going to work very well for me, might even
    > grab a couple more. I like newsgroups, my record for getting an answer
    > to a stupid question is 22 seconds! THAT'S what computers are for!


    E-S was on my short-list. It seems a popular one. Most always the first
    recommended, but I chose aioe for my initial tests, since it didn't
    require registration of any kind. I liked that. I balk at giving out
    personal info and e-mail addresses to unknown sites, particularly if all
    I want to do is test drive it.

    In the past, I found free news servers wanting compared to the one
    provided by my ISP or the "for pay" ones. I would only use a free
    provider as a back up for those rare times when my primary one was down.
    I was pleasantly surprised this time with the current crop. In the month
    I've been using aioe, it has yet to be down or have any glitches. It
    actually works better than the one my ISP provided. And my ISP one
    didn't have SSL.

    Stef

    >
    > On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 03:47:27 +0000 (UTC), Stefan Patric
    > <not@this.address.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:27:37 -0700, CDavey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since my ISP recently discontinued support of NewsGroups, I quickly

    >>
    >>Mine, too.
    >>
    >>> joined SuperNews to get some info I needed from you knowledgeable
    >>> folks.
    >>> SuperNews is $9.95 a month which is not to my liking. I'm wondering
    >>> what NewsGroup services you all are using, and if there are any good
    >>> free ones out there.

    >>
    >>I currently use aioe.org (http://www.aioe.org/). It's free, has no
    >>binary or warez groups, and has restrictions on posting. It also
    >>doesn't carry all groups (besides the binaries). Mainly carries only
    >>those with activity. Best read their web site.
    >>
    >>I've been using them for a month and have no complaints. It carries all
    >>the groups (about two dozen) that I frequent.
    >>
    >>If you do decide to go with aioe, you'll need a real Usenet reader and
    >>one that supports SSL for secure posting, etc. just to be safe.
    >>
    >>If you're looking for a reasonable "for pay" server, http://usenet-
    >>news.net/ or http://ngroups.net/ are the best I found. The Block Quota
    >>accounts are the most economical for a user, that is, you're not running
    >>your own nntp server locally. I had looked at both in case aioe didn't
    >>work well, but since it does, I doubt if I'll use either.
    >>
    >>Stef
     

Share This Page