• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

What is the purpose of Research Notes ?

Digital Doctor

Teen Bird
I am trying to learn about Research Notes.
The like the stated goals of Research Notes - alot.
I can't say I am entirely convinced Research Notes will reach it's ultra lofty stated goals !
But that might be because I really don't understand it .. I think.
That being said, the premise behind Research notes is very exciting.

I usually learn by example. So .... I know Research Notes is in it's infancy ... but what topic is the "best example" so far of what Research Notes wants to be for all topics ?

Digital Doctor

Teen Bird
What should the notes looks like ?

Is Google News a good example of an acceptable layout for browsing ?

google.layout.articles.listing.with.categories.subcategories.and.thumbnails.jpg

Google fits an interestingly large number of Categories and Subcategories in a small space.
I find the use of thumbnail images very helpful and it certainly gives the page some visual interest vs. just text.

The use of thumbnail image for related stories (with hover over image to display the title) to be very effective.

Developing research notes to follow the outline of Google News could be a good idea ... as many people probably read google news. Using an interface familiar to what people are used to using is always a good idea.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Think Digg, Reddit, Quora, TechMeme, CNN Trends, and Summly rolled into one presentation. While Google News is okay - it fails because searching PAST articles fails. Notes is about finding the primary source as much as "today's news."

To reply: "I can't say I am entirely convinced Research Notes will reach it's ultra lofty stated goals !"

This is something I've thought about for 15 years. Coding was always put off. Now I'm just getting to the point of working through the available technology. I can't imagine getting to a completion but always incremental improvements.

For example, now that the backend CRUD is done then I can start working on getting article titles and links fed into the db automatically (SimplePIE). However, I'm not liking the search in CodeIgniter.

The alpha MySQL version is running faster than the Caspio version but fails on the search.

It's a work in progress :woot: