• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

What Is Education?

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
I have heard throughout almost all of my memories of my life that education is good. My parents insisted that I attend school and learn whatever educators teach. "Learn to know and do what the smartest people know and can do."

Mom and Dad drew a line between education and church (religion). Education requires critical rational effort and religion requires acceptance based first on faith. They respected both education and religion.

But this distinction has left me with the question, "What is education?"

Does it have one definition at it's core? Is that core going to school? If so, is it going to any school?

Is it learning? If so, is it learning anything, even learning how not to attend school?

I don't know how many thousands of books I have read and things I have written about education, but two questions remain, What is education? And, Does it really matter? If it matters, how have so many people survived and prospered without schools?