1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Vista to Win7 with format?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Don Wiss, Mar 29, 2010.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Flightless Bird

    I now have my Win7 Home Premium upgrade disc. I started to install on my
    Vista laptop. I want a clean install. I'd really like to format the drive.
    When I select Custom it has something about saving a windows.old file. I
    don't want anything that is now on this laptop saved.

    Anyway I've started with the option to save this file, but I'm not getting
    the format that I want.

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
  2. Allen

    Allen Flightless Bird

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > I now have my Win7 Home Premium upgrade disc. I started to install on my
    > Vista laptop. I want a clean install. I'd really like to format the drive.
    > When I select Custom it has something about saving a windows.old file. I
    > don't want anything that is now on this laptop saved.
    >
    > Anyway I've started with the option to save this file, but I'm not getting
    > the format that I want.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    Don't worry about Windows.old, Don. If you don't want it, you can delete
    it. Actually, saved me some anguish when the BUs for some data files
    weren't recoverable. Win.old includes, in addition to the previous
    version of Win, but lots of data files. By the way, I haven't seen
    anything from you on rec.photo.digital. Now that spring is here, will
    you be posting some of those festive occasions?
    Allen
     
  3. Philo P. Shagnasty

    Philo P. Shagnasty Flightless Bird

    Delete the drive before formatting. That way there will be no windows.old
    folder. I am assuming that you have backed up all your important files on
    another drive or removable media?



    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    news:lrn1r5l1bjiq166fguvtomip803nunm0v7@4ax.com...
    > I now have my Win7 Home Premium upgrade disc. I started to install on my
    > Vista laptop. I want a clean install. I'd really like to format the drive.
    > When I select Custom it has something about saving a windows.old file. I
    > don't want anything that is now on this laptop saved.
    >
    > Anyway I've started with the option to save this file, but I'm not getting
    > the format that I want.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
  4. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, "Philo P. Shagnasty" <philo@shagnasty.org> wrote:

    >Delete the drive before formatting. That way there will be no windows.old
    >folder. I am assuming that you have backed up all your important files on
    >another drive or removable media?


    This is a laptop that I haven't used in years. My plans are to make it a
    mirror of my desktop machine.

    I had lots of music files on it. So 140 GB out of 160 were used. I'm not
    sure what drive letter they were on. It is now too late to delete the
    drive. If on C: then I gather the windows.old file will be 140 GB!

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
  5. Dave \Crash\ Dummy

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy Flightless Bird

    Philo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Delete the drive before formatting. That way there will be no
    > windows.old folder. I am assuming that you have backed up all your
    > important files on another drive or removable media?


    I have wondered about that. If I delete the drive, thereby removing all
    traces of Vista, how can I install the upgrade version of Windows 7? I
    bought the computer used with Vista installed, but no original disks.

    --
    Crash

    Life is short. Eat dessert first.
     
  6. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:33:32 -0500, Allen <allent@austin.rr.com> wrote:

    > By the way, I haven't seen
    >anything from you on rec.photo.digital. Now that spring is here, will
    >you be posting some of those festive occasions?


    Hi Allen,

    I gather you mean my Mermaid Parade pictures. Absolutely. They will come
    around the summer solstice.

    In the past I have taken the Labor Day West Indian Day Parade. But I never
    got the 2008 pictures up and did not attend for 2009.

    I did put up the local Halloween pictures, but I don't believe I ever
    announce them but in Brooklyn blogs.

    I still make small updates to my Brooklyn Storefront pictures. Though the
    NY AG shut some of them down they are still active here with their
    bait-and-switch tactics.

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
  7. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Flightless Bird

    On 29 Mar 2010, "Dave \"Crash\" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >Philo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Delete the drive before formatting. That way there will be no
    >> windows.old folder. I am assuming that you have backed up all your
    >> important files on another drive or removable media?

    >
    >I have wondered about that. If I delete the drive, thereby removing all
    >traces of Vista, how can I install the upgrade version of Windows 7? I
    >bought the computer used with Vista installed, but no original disks.


    When booting off the upgrade disc it should be able to look in the
    Registry.

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
  8. relic

    relic Flightless Bird

    "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:XR5sn.40620$NH1.5074@newsfe14.iad...
    > Philo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Delete the drive before formatting. That way there will be no
    >> windows.old folder. I am assuming that you have backed up all your
    >> important files on another drive or removable media?

    >
    > I have wondered about that. If I delete the drive, thereby removing all
    > traces of Vista, how can I install the upgrade version of Windows 7? I
    > bought the computer used with Vista installed, but no original disks.


    You can install the upgrade on a new, blank disk. Don't enter the Key when
    prompted, and uncheck the box about activating the next time you're on-line.
    After you finish up and you've rebooted, activate it. No previous version of
    Windows needed.
     
  9. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:59:18 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:33:32 -0500, Allen <allent@austin.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >> By the way, I haven't seen
    >>anything from you on rec.photo.digital. Now that spring is here, will
    >>you be posting some of those festive occasions?

    >
    > Hi Allen,
    >
    > I gather you mean my Mermaid Parade pictures. Absolutely. They will come
    > around the summer solstice.
    >
    > In the past I have taken the Labor Day West Indian Day Parade. But I never
    > got the 2008 pictures up and did not attend for 2009.
    >
    > I did put up the local Halloween pictures, but I don't believe I ever
    > announce them but in Brooklyn blogs.
    >
    > I still make small updates to my Brooklyn Storefront pictures. Though the
    > NY AG shut some of them down they are still active here with their
    > bait-and-switch tactics.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).


    I have found the storefront pix to be ...er... entertaining.

    Scary is closer to the truth.

    Anyway, thanks for those pictures.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
     
  10. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:46:32 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, "Philo P. Shagnasty" <philo@shagnasty.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Delete the drive before formatting. That way there will be no windows.old
    >>folder. I am assuming that you have backed up all your important files on
    >>another drive or removable media?

    >
    > This is a laptop that I haven't used in years. My plans are to make it a
    > mirror of my desktop machine.
    >
    > I had lots of music files on it. So 140 GB out of 160 were used. I'm not
    > sure what drive letter they were on. It is now too late to delete the
    > drive. If on C: then I gather the windows.old file will be 140 GB!
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).


    No. It's just Windows, not the whole drive, IIRC.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
     

Share This Page