1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updates for Everything Mozilla

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alias, Jul 21, 2010.

  1. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security update today.

    --
    Alias
     
  2. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On 7/21/2010 4:51 PM, Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:
    > BFD.


    To some people, security is a BFD.

    Snip childish drivel.

    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado> wrote in message
    > news:i271ao$g4q$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security update today.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias

    >



    --
    Alias
     
  3. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On 07/21/2010 05:00 PM, Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:
    >
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado> wrote in message
    > news:i271me$hft$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> On 7/21/2010 4:51 PM, Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:
    >>> BFD.

    >>
    >> To some people, security is a BFD.
    >>
    >> Snip childish drivel.
    >>

    >
    > Very funny. You've been posting childish drivel all day!


    False.

    > Can't take it
    > can you?


    Take what, your drivel? LOL, don't flatter yourself.

    This post of mine is helpful, especially if you use Mozilla products. It
    has NOT been announced on the tech sites, Yahoo or Google News. Your and
    Frank's posts never are helpful.

    --
    Alias
     
  4. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Flightless Bird

    Alias wrote:

    > Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security update today.


    This has what to do with Windows XP, the topic of *these* newsgroups?
     
  5. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On 7/21/2010 5:55 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security update today.

    >
    > This has what to do with Windows XP, the topic of *these* newsgroups?


    A lot of people who use XP or Win 7 also use Mozilla products, what
    else? By updating these products you are making XP more secure.

    --
    Alias
     
  6. Ernest T. Bass

    Ernest T. Bass Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado> wrote in message
    news:i2763s$378$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    : On 7/21/2010 5:55 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
    : > Alias wrote:
    : >
    : >> Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security update today.
    : >
    : > This has what to do with Windows XP, the topic of *these* newsgroups?
    :
    : A lot of people who use XP or Win 7 also use Mozilla products, what
    : else? By updating these products you are making XP more secure.
    :
    : --
    : Alias

    No, you trolling HoopleHead. You're making the Mozilla products more secure.
     
  7. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On 7/21/2010 6:27 PM, Ernest T. Bass wrote:
    > "Alias"<aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado> wrote in message
    > news:i2763s$378$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    > : On 7/21/2010 5:55 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
    > :> Alias wrote:
    > :>
    > :>> Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security update today.
    > :>
    > :> This has what to do with Windows XP, the topic of *these* newsgroups?
    > :
    > : A lot of people who use XP or Win 7 also use Mozilla products, what
    > : else? By updating these products you are making XP more secure.
    > :
    > : --
    > : Alias
    >
    > No, you trolling HoopleHead. You're making the Mozilla products more secure.
    >
    >


    Which, in turn, makes the OS safer. Most malware comes through the
    browser. Course the news reader (Outhouse Distress) you're using will
    not be updated so you are pretty stupid when it comes to computer
    security and no one should listen to you.

    --
    Alias
     
  8. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    On 21/07/10 16:55, VanguardLH wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security update today.

    >
    > This has what to do with Windows XP, the topic of *these* newsgroups?


    It wasn't Alias who crossposted it - his original post was to
    alt.windows7.general
     
  9. Spamlet

    Spamlet Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado> wrote in message
    news:i271ao$g4q$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    > Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security update today.
    >
    > --
    > Alias


    Well I for one thank you for the tip, as, for some reason my Firefox had not
    yet picked up the update automatically. And my XP system must be safer with
    it than without.

    (I have IE8, but I have never found a way to speed up it's opening, and got
    fed up just staring at a tab labelled 'connecting' for ages, just to get to
    'about blank'. No such issue with Firefox.)

    Cheers,

    S
     
  10. Shenan Stanley

    Shenan Stanley Flightless Bird

    Alias wrote:
    > A lot of people who use XP or Win 7 also use Mozilla products, what
    > else? By updating these products you are making XP more secure.


    No - you are not making the operating system (XP in your example) more
    secure.

    You may be making the user data more secure that is stored on the system
    drive/other storage devices that may be running a particular operating
    system (XP in your example) - but you have not made the operating system
    itself more secure.

    You are making the data more secure because you are closing possible access
    points to the data through 'issues' in the current version of whatever
    application you are patching. You have done nothing to the core of the
    operating system and the hole might not even exist if the application in
    question was not installed.

    If I purchase a bolt-down floor safe and put it in my home, my *home* is not
    more secure but the valuables I store in the safe may be.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
     
  11. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@hewhoismasked&anonymous.com> wrote in message
    news:i2727p$jov$1@news.eternal-september.org...

    > This post of mine is helpful, especially if you use Mozilla products. It
    > has NOT been announced on the tech sites, Yahoo or Google News.


    Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Updates (tab).

    Check "Firefox" in "Automatically check for updates ..." and check your
    notification prefernce.

    Then you won't have to be the self-appointed boy who cried "Wolf!", since
    nobody is listening anyway.

    If you had even bothered to give
    http://mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6.7/whatsnew/ even a cursory examination,
    you would've easily seen that the update was not a security issue, but
    rather more cosmetic than anything.

    Get a life, please. Nobody needs you to tell them things they already know.
     
  12. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:i278qd$bl$1@news.eternal-september.org...

    > It wasn't Alias who crossposted it - his original post was to
    > alt.windows7.general


    Bzzzzzzzzzzt ... wrong:

    From: Alias <aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado>
    Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    Subject: Updates for Everything Mozilla
    Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:47:48 +0200
     
  13. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On 7/21/2010 7:08 PM, Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> A lot of people who use XP or Win 7 also use Mozilla products, what
    >> else? By updating these products you are making XP more secure.

    >
    > No - you are not making the operating system (XP in your example) more
    > secure.
    >
    > You may be making the user data more secure that is stored on the system
    > drive/other storage devices that may be running a particular operating
    > system (XP in your example) - but you have not made the operating system
    > itself more secure.
    >
    > You are making the data more secure because you are closing possible access
    > points to the data through 'issues' in the current version of whatever
    > application you are patching. You have done nothing to the core of the
    > operating system and the hole might not even exist if the application in
    > question was not installed.
    >
    > If I purchase a bolt-down floor safe and put it in my home, my *home* is not
    > more secure but the valuables I store in the safe may be.
    >


    Does the term nitpicker ring a bell?

    --
    Alias
     
  14. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On 7/21/2010 7:31 PM, Greg Russell wrote:
    > "Gordon"<gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:i278qd$bl$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >
    >> It wasn't Alias who crossposted it - his original post was to
    >> alt.windows7.general

    >
    > Bzzzzzzzzzzt ... wrong:
    >
    > From: Alias<aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado>
    > Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > Subject: Updates for Everything Mozilla
    > Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:47:48 +0200
    >
    >


    So where do we send you your gold star?

    --
    Alias
     
  15. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado> wrote in message
    news:i27b4q$lsi$4@news.eternal-september.org...

    > So where do we send you your gold star?


    You're just digging your idiot hole deeper every time you reply, moron.
     
  16. Frank

    Frank Flightless Bird

    On 7/21/2010 8:03 AM, Alias wrote:
    > On 07/21/2010 05:00 PM, Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado> wrote in message
    >> news:i271me$hft$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>> On 7/21/2010 4:51 PM, Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:
    >>>> BFD.
    >>>
    >>> To some people, security is a BFD.
    >>>
    >>> Snip childish drivel.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Very funny. You've been posting childish drivel all day!

    >
    > False.
    >
    >> Can't take it
    >> can you?

    >
    > Take what, your drivel? LOL, don't flatter yourself.
    >
    > This post of mine is helpful, especially if you use Mozilla products. It
    > has NOT been announced on the tech sites, Yahoo or Google News. Your and
    > Frank's posts never are helpful.
    >

    You just can't seem to come to grips with the fact that this is a
    Windows 7 ng, can you?
    Or is it that fact that pisses you off so much?
    Live with it *SPORT*!
     
  17. Spamlet

    Spamlet Flightless Bird

    "Frank" <fab@sd.crm> wrote in message news:4c473290@news.x-privat.org...
    > On 7/21/2010 8:03 AM, Alias wrote:
    >> On 07/21/2010 05:00 PM, Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanomymous.net.invalidado> wrote in message
    >>> news:i271me$hft$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>> On 7/21/2010 4:51 PM, Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:
    >>>>> BFD.
    >>>>
    >>>> To some people, security is a BFD.
    >>>>
    >>>> Snip childish drivel.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Very funny. You've been posting childish drivel all day!

    >>
    >> False.
    >>
    >>> Can't take it
    >>> can you?

    >>
    >> Take what, your drivel? LOL, don't flatter yourself.
    >>
    >> This post of mine is helpful, especially if you use Mozilla products. It
    >> has NOT been announced on the tech sites, Yahoo or Google News. Your and
    >> Frank's posts never are helpful.
    >>

    > You just can't seem to come to grips with the fact that this is a Windows
    > 7 ng, can you?
    > Or is it that fact that pisses you off so much?
    > Live with it *SPORT*!


    Then please keep your arguments there and stop cross posting them in
    xp.general.
    S
     
  18. Doug W.

    Doug W. Flightless Bird

    "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
    news:i27565$png$1@news.albasani.net...
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, etc. all have a security
    >> update today.

    >
    > This has what to do with Windows XP, the topic of *these*
    > newsgroups?

    ==
    ==
    Good info:

    Firefox fixed quite a few things that were not working properly.

    Don't criticize info regarding security updates as XP users use
    Mozilla products as well as those exceedingly wonderful
    Microsoft ones.
    ==
     
  19. DanS

    DanS Flightless Bird

    > If you had even bothered to give
    > http://mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6.7/whatsnew/ even a
    > cursory examination, you would've easily seen that the
    > update was not a security issue, but rather more cosmetic
    > than anything.
    >
    > Get a life, please. Nobody needs you to tell them things
    > they already know.


    That's all fine and dandy, but that's an update to a new version
    of Firefox, not a security update to an existing FF.

    Also, I have all three boxes checked for 'Automatically Check
    for Updates', with 'Ask me what I want to do checked', and the
    last time I saw that updates were available was a week or two
    ago, I think.

    However, if I go to Help -> Check for Updates, I am told "A
    security and stability update for Firefox is available: Firefox
    v3.5.11" as I'm currently using 3.5.5.

    Guess what....I didn't know there were any updates ready, so he
    wasn't telling me things I already knew.
     
  20. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    In news:Xns9DBCB7A18AFCFthisnthatroadrunnern@216.196.97.131,
    DanS <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> typed:

    > However, if I go to Help -> Check for Updates, I am told "A
    > security and stability update for Firefox is available: Firefox
    > v3.5.11" as I'm currently using 3.5.5.


    FF 3.6 has been available for at least 2010 and part of 2009.

    Don't blame others for your own problems when you run antiquated
    applications.
     

Share This Page