1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninstall Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Barny, May 6, 2010.

  1. Barny

    Barny Flightless Bird

    Im sure your all fed up hearing this, but. I installed Ubuntu side by side
    with my current XP. It automatically partitioned my hard drive to accommodate
    it. I then decided I don't like it but Im unable to uninstall it. No matter
    where I look no ones instructions seem to work!
    Booting up is also tricky now as there is something at startup called 'grub'
    which defaults to Ubuntu unless you catch it in time to select XP.

    Can anyone please help. I want to remove startup Grub, Ubuntu o/s, and
    reclaim back all my harddrive by removing the partition.
     
  2. Paul

    Paul Flightless Bird

    Barny wrote:
    > Im sure your all fed up hearing this, but. I installed Ubuntu side by side
    > with my current XP. It automatically partitioned my hard drive to accommodate
    > it. I then decided I don't like it but Im unable to uninstall it. No matter
    > where I look no ones instructions seem to work!
    > Booting up is also tricky now as there is something at startup called 'grub'
    > which defaults to Ubuntu unless you catch it in time to select XP.
    >
    > Can anyone please help. I want to remove startup Grub, Ubuntu o/s, and
    > reclaim back all my harddrive by removing the partition.


    It says to try "fixmbr" from the recovery console, here. The implication
    is that the first sector on the disk, sector 0, has had the code section
    replaced, to point to the rest of the grub boot loader. The WinXP
    recovery console has a command, to put the WinXP version of that code
    back in place.

    http://tr.opensuse.org/SDB:Uninstalling_the_Boot_Manager_GRUB_from_the_MBR

    As always, if you do a backup of the entire disk, if this advice doesn't work
    out, you can always put everything back the way it was. For example, you can
    use your Linux LiveCD, and the "dd" command, to copy one disk to another for
    backup purposes. And using such a sector by sector backup method, means it
    doesn't matter what file systems are in use, they'll all get properly
    backed up.

    The MBR is a single sector, jam packed with goodies. They mention here, for
    added fun and complexity, that the primary partition table entries (four 16
    byte records, out of the total 512 bytes), can be moved to some other sector,
    so some boot loaders can be so damaging as to hide the proper partition table
    entries. Which to me, is a scary, single direction approach to modifying the
    MBR. If that were the case here, you'd want to find out where the 4 * 16 bytes
    of your partition table went.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

    Major parts (simplified view)

    Code area (how Windows starts to boot) 446 bytes
    Partition table 4 * 16 bytes 64 bytes
    Signature AA55, proof of ownership 2 bytes
    Total 512 bytes

    A tool like FIXMBR in WinXP Recovery Console, would overwrite the 446 byte part,
    and should keep the other 66 bytes. Plus or minus.

    While you're in Linux, you can make a copy of the MBR, for safe keeping.
    Of course, if you backed up the entire disk, you'd also get a copy that
    way. To back up the MBR would look like

    dd if=/dev/hda of=my_mbr.dd bs=512 count=1

    What that would do, in either Windows or Linux, would be to write a file
    called "my_mbr.dd" in the current working directory. You have to figure
    out the name of the disk, such as /dev/hda, as well. It isn't a given that
    is the name. If you didn't like the results of your FIXMBR attempt, then
    putting the MBR back, should repair it.

    dd if=my_mbr.dd of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

    The purpose of using block_size and count in the second instance, is
    as insurance to guarantee that no more than sector 0 is affected. The
    first command, uses block_size and count, to limit the amount of stuff
    captured, to just one sector.

    Doing the following, can back up a whole disk to another disk. Sure, there
    are other details to worry about (like having enough room to do the command),
    but this is the basic idea.

    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

    That basically makes a "clone" of hda to hdb. I've made backups a few
    times like that, when doing surgery where I didn't know what I was doing :)
    As long as you have your "clone" backup disk, and a Linux LiveCD, you can
    reverse that and put it all back.

    Safety first and have fun,
    Paul
     
  3. On Thu, 06 May 2010 09:02:48 -0500, "Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]" <.@.>
    wrote:

    >>Im sure your all fed up hearing this, but. I installed Ubuntu side by side
    >>with my current XP. It automatically partitioned my hard drive to accommodate
    >>it. I then decided I don't like it but Im unable to uninstall it. No matter
    >>where I look no ones instructions seem to work!
    >>Booting up is also tricky now as there is something at startup called 'grub'
    >>which defaults to Ubuntu unless you catch it in time to select XP.
    >>
    >>Can anyone please help. I want to remove startup Grub, Ubuntu o/s, and
    >>reclaim back all my harddrive by removing the partition.

    >
    >What you'll have to do is use a partition editor to blow away ubuntu.
    >There is no way to uninstall it because it's an operating system, not
    >a program. After removing it, you'll have to drop to DOS and run fix
    >boot and fixmbr to blow away the grub boot loader. Back up what you
    >don't want to lose though.
    >
    >- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]


    Just a thought. Why can't you just delete all the files from the
    entire ubuntu partition while booted to XP? Then all you have to do
    is fix whatever file controls the dual booting.
    Just a thought !!!

    And if you accomplish this, use something like Partition Magic to
    change your partitions, unless you want to leave them as is....
     
  4. Paul

    Paul Flightless Bird

    mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 May 2010 09:02:48 -0500, "Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]" <.@.>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Im sure your all fed up hearing this, but. I installed Ubuntu side by side
    >>> with my current XP. It automatically partitioned my hard drive to accommodate
    >>> it. I then decided I don't like it but Im unable to uninstall it. No matter
    >>> where I look no ones instructions seem to work!
    >>> Booting up is also tricky now as there is something at startup called 'grub'
    >>> which defaults to Ubuntu unless you catch it in time to select XP.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone please help. I want to remove startup Grub, Ubuntu o/s, and
    >>> reclaim back all my harddrive by removing the partition.

    >> What you'll have to do is use a partition editor to blow away ubuntu.
    >> There is no way to uninstall it because it's an operating system, not
    >> a program. After removing it, you'll have to drop to DOS and run fix
    >> boot and fixmbr to blow away the grub boot loader. Back up what you
    >> don't want to lose though.
    >>
    >> - Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

    >
    > Just a thought. Why can't you just delete all the files from the
    > entire ubuntu partition while booted to XP? Then all you have to do
    > is fix whatever file controls the dual booting.
    > Just a thought !!!
    >
    > And if you accomplish this, use something like Partition Magic to
    > change your partitions, unless you want to leave them as is....


    If you install WinXP, then install Ubuntu, something like Grub might be
    your boot loader. If you delete the Ubuntu partition, you might be trashing
    the few files that Grub uses. Then you wouldn't be able to boot the machine,
    at least until you fixed things. You'd then be in a situation, where
    you're forced to fix it, so you could use WinXP.

    I would prefer to attempt to fix it, while the Ubuntu partition is still
    present. And do it in a way that is reversible. Such as back up the MBR,
    try to use Fixmbr to make WinXP work alone, and if that didn't work, I
    could always put the MBR back (so I could continue to use the machine,
    while I figure out what to do next). Deleting the partition first, using the big
    hammer, only forces the issue, and means you're looking at a dead machine
    until you figure it out.

    So whatever way you do it, you should have a fallback plan if your attempt
    fails.

    Paul
     
  5. Keith Snyder

    Keith Snyder Flightless Bird

    "Barny" <Barny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:A113591A-91D8-4EBB-B3BB-17B2E0C170BB@microsoft.com...
    > Im sure your all fed up hearing this, but. I installed Ubuntu side by side
    > with my current XP. It automatically partitioned my hard drive to
    > accommodate
    > it. I then decided I don't like it but Im unable to uninstall it. No
    > matter
    > where I look no ones instructions seem to work!
    > Booting up is also tricky now as there is something at startup called
    > 'grub'
    > which defaults to Ubuntu unless you catch it in time to select XP.
    >
    > Can anyone please help. I want to remove startup Grub, Ubuntu o/s, and
    > reclaim back all my harddrive by removing the partition.


    Use rescue mode from your WinXP install CD. As your machine boots, you may
    have to hit a PF key to drop into boot time options to select "boot from CD"
    if that is what your installation medium is, and you don't already have boot
    from CD set. It doesn't hurt to make sure.

    Then continue with the boot. You should be booting from the CD. At some
    point, you will be asked if you want rescue mode. Reply yes. That should
    drop you into a DOS command line. From that command line type
    /fixmbr

    When you installed Linux, grub replaced the Master Boot Record with its own.
    grub also squirreled away the original Windows MBR. You cannot just wipe out
    the Linux partition, it can make your machine unbootable.

    Alternatively, this does not restore the Windows MBR, but it will cause grub
    to boot WinXP instead of Ubuntu. Get hold of the grub documentation and read
    it! Granted, it is not a fun read, it is English written by a German but it
    can be done.

    Boot up Ubuntu, log on as root with your appropriate password, then use
    gedit to edit grub's menu. IIRC, it is located in /boot/grub/menu. There
    will be an uncommented line saying "default n" where n is the number of a
    bootable operating system. There may be several Ubuntus due to updates. Look
    thru the list of bootable OSs, then counting from zero, change "n" to the
    position of Win XP. Make sure you count from zero. Save menu and reboot. Now
    you will default to Win Xp.

    Been there, done that.
     
  6. hotfoot

    hotfoot Flightless Bird

    On Fri, 07 May 2010 01:00:22 -0500, mister_friendly wrote:


    > And if you accomplish this, use something like Partition Magic to change
    > your partitions, unless you want to leave them as is....


    Actually the OP's Ubuntu livecd already has a nice partition editor on
    it. Just boot the CD into its GUI and select:

    System->Administration->Partition Editor

    If anyone else is looking for a free partition editor and you don't want
    to have to mess with the underlying Linux OS, I suggest gparted live.
    Stick the CD in the drive, boot, I think it asks a few questions so it
    can set things up for your language and keyboard layout, and then it
    goes directly into gparted. You can get the ISO here:

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

    As for the original problem, google turns up all kinds of detailed
    howto's on removing Ubuntu from a Windows system.
     
  7. mycomputer3@mydesk.com

    mycomputer3@mydesk.com Flightless Bird

    On Fri, 7 May 2010 15:11:39 -0500, "Keith Snyder" <me@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >Alternatively, this does not restore the Windows MBR, but it will cause grub
    >to boot WinXP instead of Ubuntu. Get hold of the grub documentation and read
    >it! Granted, it is not a fun read, it is English written by a German but it
    >can be done.


    I wont allow any thing having to do with Linux anywhere near my
    computer !!!

    There are so many different versions of Linux that no one knows what
    the hell is going on with it. I hate MS, but at least we all know
    what XP or Win98, or Win7 is, and there's always someone to help.
    Linux is only for geeks, who want to spend all their time tinkering
    with computers that they really cant use for anything. I once tried
    to install it on an old computer that I planned to toss in the trash.
    The version I got was supposed to install on this old computer.
    Halfway thru the install it crashed and locked up. I tossed the
    computer in the garbage with the linux cd still in the drive.

    If linux was as good as a few people say, they would have settled on
    one version of it years ago, and made something of it. I hope that
    sometime soon there comes an OS from another company besides MS, but
    until that day, I'll stick to a MS operating system which is
    universally recognized and has support (IN ENGLISH).
     
  8. Billns

    Billns Flightless Bird

    On 5/8/2010 1:30 AM, mycomputer3@mydesk.com wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 May 2010 15:11:39 -0500, "Keith Snyder"<me@privacy.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Alternatively, this does not restore the Windows MBR, but it will cause grub
    >> to boot WinXP instead of Ubuntu. Get hold of the grub documentation and read
    >> it! Granted, it is not a fun read, it is English written by a German but it
    >> can be done.

    >
    > I wont allow any thing having to do with Linux anywhere near my
    > computer !!!
    >
    > There are so many different versions of Linux that no one knows what
    > the hell is going on with it. I hate MS, but at least we all know
    > what XP or Win98, or Win7 is, and there's always someone to help.
    > Linux is only for geeks, who want to spend all their time tinkering
    > with computers that they really cant use for anything. I once tried
    > to install it on an old computer that I planned to toss in the trash.
    > The version I got was supposed to install on this old computer.
    > Halfway thru the install it crashed and locked up. I tossed the
    > computer in the garbage with the linux cd still in the drive.
    >
    > If linux was as good as a few people say, they would have settled on
    > one version of it years ago, and made something of it. I hope that
    > sometime soon there comes an OS from another company besides MS, but
    > until that day, I'll stick to a MS operating system which is
    > universally recognized and has support (IN ENGLISH).
    >

    There's also a Macintosh OS with support in English. <g>

    Bill
     

Share This Page