• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

The True Cost of Freedom

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I'm not a fan of writing or reading about the Trayvon Martin case. Too many people die every day to get too excited about this story. It's sad. It's real. It's just not a story to write about on an opinion site. My opinion does not matter.

However, on the news front, the new judge for the case set bail for Mr. Zimmerman to be $150,000.

I will point out that if you read the transcript from today then your stomach may turn. The Martin attorney leads with many presuppositions and that must be difficult for any person (under any circumstance) to answer honestly on the witness stand.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I find it interesting that many people disagree over semantics - but - words can lead or influence ideas. For example, some people say "child" to describe Trayvon and others say "juvenile." In many respects people say a child is from birth to puberty while others include the use of the word through adulthood. In contrast, teen is definitely 13 - 19, and Trayvon was definitely a teen. Unfortunately, he was a teen old enough to join the military. All of these word choices can influence people and lead them to certain conclusions. The media has done the same with photos. It's amazing to watch. This is why the jury selection will be important; How will people up for jury selection see a 17 year old male - a child or a teen or a juvenile? A smart lawyer is going to get this idea out of the person during jury selection.

Next, we have many people rushing to judgment. They have been influenced by reports (leaked or faked) as well as ideology. Worse, some people are making this a racial issue, others are making this a political battle, others see it as a legal fight over gun rights, and others see this as a case about morals.

In the end - it's the radicals that need to be watched. Those so far to the left that think Mr. Zimmerman's life is of no value - and those too far to the right that think that Mr. Martin's life was of no value.

We all need to reflect though on how our words and thoughts are boxing us into a corner. If you think that the right will concluded one thing and the left will think the opposite then you are part of the challenge we face in this country. Why? Because our country is becoming more and more polarized by words of anger and fear. Choose your words to reflect your intent.

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
I was thinking that words do reflect intent, but I may think of one intent and the speaker/writer may intend another. Yes? And so started WWII.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I was thinking that words do reflect intent, but I may think of one intent and the speaker/writer may intend another. Yes? And so started WWII.

This would be the challenge to using hyperbole, metaphors, and cliches in speaking and writing.