• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

The Most Disturbing Phrase: We'll Have To Leave It There

admin

Flight Instructors
Flight Instructor
After listening to a Ron Paul interview on This Week on ABC the interviewer used the phrase "we'll have to leave it there."

That phrase is very annoying. No, we don't have to leave it there. We can dig into policies more. We can read more and ask more.

No. We don't have to leave it there :p

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Sometimes I'm glad they leave the interview "there", especially when the talkers turn out to be the interviewer, not the interviewee or guest. Charley Rose, Chris Matthews, and others sometimes take up more clock time as they "expound" on their ideas while pretending to ask questions of guests. Did you hear the down right disrespect Wolf Blitzer and the other hosts paid to their panel of analysts on CNN's Iowa Caucus results coverage last night? The CNN staff excitedly blathered among themselves while their expert panel members tried unsuccessfully to break into the hosts' chatter in order to give their analyses. I switched to other channels whenever that blathering started, but found the same practices on Fox, MSNBC, and ABC. Blaaaaaah!

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Chatter among hosts is horrible and one of the reasons the tv is background noise and not a source of information. IMHO Too many news programs are just noise, little news with lots of chatter and opinion.

I watched the results last night through live updates online while the tv was in the background with the hosts talking over the candidates, too.

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
I haven't noticed recently, do any of the cable programs promote themselves as news, besides Fox as Fair-and-Balanced news?

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
Ah. I guess I have only noticed the commentary with her as well as others. I don't know how much confidence to have in their news I have heard.

admin

Flight Instructors
Flight Instructor
Ah. I guess I have only noticed the commentary with her as well as others. I don't know how much confidence to have in their news I have heard.

The opinions are definitely a larger portion of a show ;)

Doubt is important. I doubt there is much news. I doubt the opinions are balanced. I doubt there is any attempt to do anything but be controversial in order to gain eyeballs.

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
Doubt, yes, but I want to have confidence that news reports facts as distinct from opinion, satire, and other time fillers for eyeballs. Even the PBS News Hour has gone to reporting what used to be called soft news. While it's pleasant, soft news does not provide me with facts to use to anticipate dangers, obstacles and other impediments to the safety and survival of my family. If I can't rely on news programs for that, where do I find it? I guess we'll leave it there. ;)

admin

Flight Instructors
Flight Instructor
Doubt, yes, but I want to have confidence that news reports facts as distinct from opinion, satire, and other time fillers for eyeballs. Even the PBS News Hour has gone to reporting what used to be called soft news. While it's pleasant, soft news does not provide me with facts to use to anticipate dangers, obstacles and other impediments to the safety and survival of my family. If I can't rely on news programs for that, where do I find it? I guess we'll leave it there. ;)

News programs became entertainment rather than reporting and no entrepreneur has stepped forward to push news rather than chatter. In fact some news websites are stepping up the volume of "latest news" and maybe that'll push the content as more web / tv merges. But right now tv picked up on twitter (chatter) rather than news. Heck, MS-NBC shows refer to Huffington Post stories. Ugh.