• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

The Future of News

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
As I understand Rob Malda, he's interested in the technologies that drive news events rather than the policies that drive them, because he cannot affect those policies, no matter how much he distrusts the people who implement them. He sees those interested in technologies as distrustful, perhaps he meant skeptical, of authority. His skepticism seems healthy and consistent with the history of liberalism since the Renaissance, the opposite of the so called Political Left which is really traditional Power to the King!

As for the future of news, I'm baffled. Since, as news writers have told me and said elsewhere, news is whatever we say is news, what's changing except that more people are writing and posting on the Internet what they consider worth posting? That seems like narcissism and opinionating replacing the reporting of facts. It's the reporting of the alleged fact that Manning and Snowden revealed secret documents that made them a mainstream news story, not the number of opinions of readers of those stories on mobile devices under government spying cameras.

Perhaps Malda's point is, how can we use communication technologies to assemble and distribute more facts as news stories?