1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

text replacement

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Ronald Hands, Sep 19, 2010.

  1. Ronald Hands

    Ronald Hands Flightless Bird

    has anyone found text replacement software that works on Windows
    7 in the 64-bit version?

    I've been happily using Texter on several XP machines for many
    months, but it apparently doesn't want to work in a 64-bit
    environment.

    Any suggestions?

    – Ron
     
  2. Ken Blake

    Ken Blake Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:24:42 -0400, Ronald Hands
    <ronh@fakeaddress.net> wrote:

    > has anyone found text replacement software that works on Windows
    > 7 in the 64-bit version?
    >
    > I've been happily using Texter on several XP machines for many
    > months, but it apparently doesn't want to work in a 64-bit
    > environment.
    >
    > Any suggestions?



    I'm a giant fan of AutoHotkey, which I think is terrific. It's one of
    my favorite and most-used utility programs. It's free and it does much
    more than its name suggests.

    And it works just fine under 64-bit Windows 7.
     
  3. Ronald Hands

    Ronald Hands Flightless Bird

    On 2010-09-19 11:46 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
    >
    >
    > I'm a giant fan of AutoHotkey, which I think is terrific. It's one of
    > my favorite and most-used utility programs. It's free and it does much
    > more than its name suggests.
    >
    > And it works just fine under 64-bit Windows 7.


    Thanks for the suggestion. I've already downloaded it, but it may
    take a while to work through the tutorial. Looks like it is more
    complicated – and also more comprehensive – than Texter.


    – Ron
     
  4. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Flightless Bird

    "Ronald Hands" <ronh@fakeaddress.net> wrote in message news:_Wplo.5136$D67.3053@newsfe01.iad...
    > has anyone found text replacement software that works on Windows 7 in the 64-bit version?
    >
    > I've been happily using Texter on several XP machines for many months, but it apparently doesn't
    > want to work in a 64-bit environment.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > – Ron


    It installs and runs OK on my 64 bit Win7.
    What specific problem do you have ?
     
  5. LouB

    LouB Flightless Bird

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:24:42 -0400, Ronald Hands
    > <ronh@fakeaddress.net> wrote:
    >
    >> has anyone found text replacement software that works on Windows
    >> 7 in the 64-bit version?
    >>
    >> I've been happily using Texter on several XP machines for many
    >> months, but it apparently doesn't want to work in a 64-bit
    >> environment.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    >
    >
    > I'm a giant fan of AutoHotkey, which I think is terrific. It's one of
    > my favorite and most-used utility programs. It's free and it does much
    > more than its name suggests.
    >
    > And it works just fine under 64-bit Windows 7.
    >

    +1
     
  6. LouB

    LouB Flightless Bird

    Ronald Hands wrote:
    > On 2010-09-19 11:46 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> I'm a giant fan of AutoHotkey, which I think is terrific. It's one of
    >> my favorite and most-used utility programs. It's free and it does much
    >> more than its name suggests.
    >>
    >> And it works just fine under 64-bit Windows 7.

    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I've already downloaded it, but it may take a
    > while to work through the tutorial. Looks like it is more complicated –
    > and also more comprehensive – than Texter.
    >
    >
    > – Ron
    >

    fwiw: for text replacement (macros) I use a ; as the code character and
    follow that with a letter or letters and then a space. So ; c space (no
    spaces) causes: Curiosity killed the cat. Satisfaction brought it back.
     
  7. Barking

    Barking Flightless Bird

    In article <2vbc965a8pc3l33ee4cceh9kkgr6ha7gm9@4ax.com>, Ken Blake
    <kblake@kb.invalid> said...
    >
    > I'm a giant fan of AutoHotkey, which I think is terrific. It's one of
    > my favorite and most-used utility programs. It's free and it does much
    > more than its name suggests.
    >

    Great find, thanks.
     
  8. Ken Blake

    Ken Blake Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:07:03 -0400, Ronald Hands
    <ronh@fakeaddress.net> wrote:

    > On 2010-09-19 11:46 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > I'm a giant fan of AutoHotkey, which I think is terrific. It's one of
    > > my favorite and most-used utility programs. It's free and it does much
    > > more than its name suggests.
    > >
    > > And it works just fine under 64-bit Windows 7.

    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I've already downloaded it, but it may
    > take a while to work through the tutorial. Looks like it is more
    > complicated – and also more comprehensive – than Texter.



    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    I don't know Texter, but let me say this:

    Autohotkey can be very complicated because it has so many
    capabilities. But I strongly recommend that you start with it using
    its simplest capabilities, then move on to more complex stuff (or not)
    if and when you're ready for it.

    So here's an example of what you should do to get started. The
    following line replaces "afaik" with "as far as I know."

    ::afaik:: as far as I know

    It's also good for fixing typos you are prone to make. For example, my
    wife's name is Eileen, but I tend to type it incorrectly and type
    Eillen instead. So here's the line to correct that:

    ::Eillen::Eileen

    Again, my recommendation is that you start by limiting its use to
    those two kinds of things. It's very easy if you do that.
     
  9. Ken Blake

    Ken Blake Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 10:35:20 -0700, Barking <not@to.me.invalid> wrote:

    > In article <2vbc965a8pc3l33ee4cceh9kkgr6ha7gm9@4ax.com>, Ken Blake
    > <kblake@kb.invalid> said...
    > >
    > > I'm a giant fan of AutoHotkey, which I think is terrific. It's one of
    > > my favorite and most-used utility programs. It's free and it does much
    > > more than its name suggests.
    > >

    > Great find, thanks.



    You're welcome. Glad to help.
     
  10. Ronald Hands

    Ronald Hands Flightless Bird

    On 2010-09-19 12:30 PM, Dave-UK wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > It installs and runs OK on my 64 bit Win7.
    > What specific problem do you have ?
    >


    I have it set to run Texter at startup, but it never seems to
    take the hint. The Texter icon does not appear in the taskbar
    (until I start it manually) and even then I don't get any
    response when I type in one of the text replacement triggers.

    Do you remember what you had to do to get it going?

    – Ron
     
  11. Zaidy036

    Zaidy036 Flightless Bird

    In article <_Wplo.5136$D67.3053@newsfe01.iad>, ronh@fakeaddress.net says...
    >
    > has anyone found text replacement software that works on Windows
    > 7 in the 64-bit version?
    >
    > I've been happily using Texter on several XP machines for many
    > months, but it apparently doesn't want to work in a 64-bit
    > environment.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > ? Ron




    I use Shortkeys (free and paid versions) on Win 7/64.
    look here http://www.shortkeys.com/
     
  12. Dave-UK

    Dave-UK Flightless Bird

    "Ronald Hands" <ronh@fakeaddress.net> wrote in message news:_hslo.14677$fr6.3713@newsfe20.iad...
    > On 2010-09-19 12:30 PM, Dave-UK wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> It installs and runs OK on my 64 bit Win7.
    >> What specific problem do you have ?
    >>

    >
    > I have it set to run Texter at startup, but it never seems to take the hint. The Texter icon does
    > not appear in the taskbar (until I start it manually) and even then I don't get any response when
    > I type in one of the text replacement triggers.
    >
    > Do you remember what you had to do to get it going?
    >
    > – Ron


    I just downloaded Texter and installed it. Then I ran it with no error messages.
    Have you got the latest(?) version ?
    Mine is 0.6.
     
  13. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 08:46:26 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
    >
    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:24:42 -0400, Ronald Hands
    > <ronh@fakeaddress.net> wrote:
    >
    > > has anyone found text replacement software that works on Windows
    > > 7 in the 64-bit version?
    > >
    > > I've been happily using Texter on several XP machines for many
    > > months, but it apparently doesn't want to work in a 64-bit
    > > environment.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    >
    >
    > I'm a giant fan of AutoHotkey, which I think is terrific. It's one of
    > my favorite and most-used utility programs. It's free and it does much
    > more than its name suggests.
    >
    > And it works just fine under 64-bit Windows 7.


    I second that emotion!

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Shikata ga nai...
     

Share This Page