• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Stop error blue screen of death with 'STOP 0x0000000'

C

curious_user

Flightless Bird
I just got a new system upgrade in terms of hardware.
Configuration:
Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2 550
DDR3 2 GB RAM
Two HDDs: Samsung 40 GB (IDE channel zero master)
Seagate 1TB (IDE chnnel 3 master)
Note: XP boots from Seagate
On board ATI Radeon 4250 Graphics
New system: Put into place on 9th October 2010
Except Samsung 40 GB HDD everything is new.

Problem: 1) It has happened that while using my computer for a long while, it shuts down suddenly and restarts spontaneously. This has happened especially while playing Age of Empires III PC game. This spontaneous shutdown must have happened about 3-4 times till date, as much as I can remember.

2)Today, that is 5th November 2010, I got a blue screen of death with the following technical message
STOP 0x0000000 (0xFFFA0080 0X000000FF 0X000000001 0X806E6F27)
This BSOD, happened while I was watching a feature film on Windows Media Player with my family and my dad's really worried why this happened.

Then I restarted the PC after noting down this message.
Please help me diagnose the problem I am facing and how to solve this problem.
Thank you all.

X

Xarren

Flightless Bird
Hey,
First post on here, came across your thread on a Google search for something completely different, thought I might as well try and help.

Any error at reference 0 usually means a problem with the memory - its unable to read the memory hence returning 0 being the start of the memory addresses.

One of your RAM sticks is likely to be faulty. I would suggest you download prime95, its a stress testing application, which as far as I remember has a setting for high RAM stress testing.

Run that for a bit see how long until your computer crashes (Shouldn't be long at all if it is indeed a memory problem). Once it crashes, turn it off, unplug it, put on your antistatic band, or hold the computer case (RAM modules are extremely sensitive to static, more than pretty much anything else in a pc), and remove one of the sticks. Now run the same test with just one of the sticks in. As it is extremely unlikely that both are faulty, you should find that with one in it will crash, probably even quicker than with two in, and with the other it should run smoothly.

Now if that's successful then its time to send that stick back to your retailer, accompanied by a scary sounding letter quoting the sale of goods act 1992, which basically states that he has to replace it for you.

Otherwise, its really hard to tell what could be, but if you have components laying about, or are able to get a mate to lend you his computer, just keep on replacing part by part, running prime95 (if it causes a crash quickly, otherwise try and find a stress tester that will. The type of stress test that causes the crash is likely to point you in the right direction). If you replace absolutely everything, chances are the motherboard is faulty/fried. If you're lucky you can convince the retailer that it is inherently faulty and they'll replace it for you.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the part where you described the shut down problem. That's most likely the power supply. The only way to really tell without getting a multimeter out is powering up a system that you know works (and that doesn't cost too much, in case you burn something) with that power supply, and seeing if it does the same thing. Once again, stress test it - Prime95 and Kombustor or equivalent graphics stress test should do the trick, and max the power on the PSU, hopefully causing it to shut down. You haven't listed your power supply, I hope you're not using the old one :). + Hopefully in the sense that if it doesn't shut down, then trying to work out where the problem is may be a lot of pain, and unless you know what you're doing, you're better off getting someone else to do it. Also, I didn't look at your specs in detail, but for any system the PSU should really be at least 500-600W, and make sure you use a branded one.

Did you play around with overclocking by the way? Because both of the problems you've described can be caused by overclocking. If you did, go into BIOS and load fail safe defaults, see if that helps.

PS: Since this is a brand new system, I didn't think of this, but while you're at it, you might as well Google for a memory testing software, and a registry cleaner. Don't use just any though, a lot of them can do more harm than good - I've found that Eusing (sp?) reg cleaner does the job well. It may be just a corrupted registry reference causing the problem.