• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Shared search index - WP and XF

AndreyP

Baby Bird
XenWord Professional
We're looking at the best way to have WordPress posts and XenForo threads co-exist, without duplicating the content entirely between the two. We're concerned that Google might ding us for having every WordPress post copied in it's entirety as a XenForo thread. So, we'd like to use just the excerpt text for XenForo threads.

But, this brings up the question abut how to search effectively for content.

Is there a way we can use just a single search (WP or XF), yet have it find results from both the WordPress posts and XenForo threads? Right now, with excerpts, obviously the XenForo search index won't find content from the full WP posts since they aren't written into XenForo. And, searching on WordPress doesn't find any XenForo thread content. We don't want people to have to search twice / separately.

Has anyone addressed this issue before? Some kind of single search that will return combined results from both? And when you click on a result, it'll take you to either the WP or XF page the result is from.

Background info:

WordPress version: 4.5
XenForo version: 1.5.6 - using Enhanced Search 1.1.3.
XenWord version: 3.0.4.02

What WordPress plugins do you have active? XenWord and ElasticPress

What WordPress theme are you using? Twenty Sixteen

We're on a fresh install to just test basic functionality.

Gracie

Dogs Times Writer
Hi

I've moved this into the suggestions forum. Maybe it's my bias but I've been asking for something like a shared search for some time.

Adam H

Young Flying Bird
Ive had a couple of clients ask for that functionality so that the wordpress search can effectively be replaced. Would like to see it but would imagine it would be a pretty big ask.

Adam H

Young Flying Bird
No I think whats needed is for wordpress posts to show up in "new posts" and "recent posts" on xenforo, because xenforo's search is much more comprehensive than wordpress I doubt wordpress search would ever get utilised properly if there was a forum/blog situation.

The clients which ive spoke to basically want to highlight that a new post has been made on wordpress so members can comment, but they don't want to create a thread on xenforo too because of duplication which then just creates confusion.

Its one thing I really dislike about xenforo and vbulletin CMS, for example when submitting a new resource, showcase etc instead of showing the actual page in new posts , xenforo creates a silly little thread saying "someone has just posted a new resource" which then links to the resource............Its horrible but id imagine it was the easier route to take which is why it was done like that lol.