1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Search XP backup bkf files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by David R Thiessen, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. David R Thiessen

    David R Thiessen Flightless Bird

    I've been using XP backup utility in Accessories to back up Docs & Settings
    for two years now (to an external HD) and have even successfully restored
    programs by manually searching for the file I want. But...I now have 19
    appended incremental back up folders and searching for a file from say, 1
    year ago, takes a lot of time. Is there a free or inexpensive SEARCH utility
    to search in the BKF folder for a paticular file by name? Commercially,
    SysTools claims to have such a utility for $89 but that is more than this
    poor retired 70 yr. old pensioner can afford. Being retired, I can do a lot o
    manual searches for that price. Does M$ have such a utility?

    Thanks, David R
     
  2. Pegasus [MVP]

    Pegasus [MVP] Flightless Bird

    "David R Thiessen" <DavidRThiessen@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in
    news item news:EC434F60-EC2F-472D-A000-5C5993D7E6EC@microsoft.com...
    > I've been using XP backup utility in Accessories to back up Docs &
    > Settings
    > for two years now (to an external HD) and have even successfully restored
    > programs by manually searching for the file I want. But...I now have 19
    > appended incremental back up folders and searching for a file from say, 1
    > year ago, takes a lot of time. Is there a free or inexpensive SEARCH
    > utility
    > to search in the BKF folder for a paticular file by name? Commercially,
    > SysTools claims to have such a utility for $89 but that is more than this
    > poor retired 70 yr. old pensioner can afford. Being retired, I can do a
    > lot o
    > manual searches for that price. Does M$ have such a utility?
    >
    > Thanks, David R


    Hello poor retired 70 year old pensioner,

    After reading your post it took me a while to wipe the tears from my eyes
    before I could see my keyboard again. :)

    I do not know if Microsoft have such a utility but you can perform the
    search with a Command Line tool like the one I wrote a little while ago. It
    does not come with a pretty GUI but it works. By the way, I think you're
    doing yourself a disservice by using ntbackup.exe to back up your files.
    There are several reasons for this:
    - It's hard to locate backed up files.
    - It's tedious to restore them.
    - The program is no longer included in Windows 7.
    I suggest you use an ordinary batch file based on robocopy.exe. It gets
    around each of these problems.

    The tool I wrote works if your .bkf file is not compressed. Here is how you
    use it from the Console:

    cscript //nologo c:/TextSearch.vbs /s "biography.doc"

    I would include TextSearch.vbs here if it wasn't for its length (320 lines
    of solid code). However, if you send your valid EMail address to
    pegasus_fnlATyahooDOTcom then I will send it to you by EMail.

    Another poor retired pensioner (66 years old)
     
  3. Jim

    Jim Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:55:01 -0800, David R Thiessen
    <DavidRThiessen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >
    >I've been using XP backup utility in Accessories to back up Docs & Settings
    >for two years now (to an external HD) and have even successfully restored
    >programs by manually searching for the file I want. But...I now have 19
    >appended incremental back up folders and searching for a file from say, 1
    >year ago, takes a lot of time. Is there a free or inexpensive SEARCH utility
    >to search in the BKF folder for a paticular file by name? Commercially,
    >SysTools claims to have such a utility for $89 but that is more than this
    >poor retired 70 yr. old pensioner can afford. Being retired, I can do a lot o
    >manual searches for that price. Does M$ have such a utility?
    >
    >Thanks, David R


    AgentRansack ? ( free)
     
  4. David R Thiessen

    David R Thiessen Flightless Bird

    Thanks Pegasus for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I
    will take your advice to not continue to use ntbackup.exe for backup (which I
    put on a Western Digital Passport external HD). It was one of two backups
    that I use. The other backup is that I use PowerDesk Pro 7 to do a one way
    synchronization of newer and modified files from my computer HD to a 2nd WD
    Passport. This one is very easy to use XP search and restore by dragging.
    I've a friend who uses Click-Free backup and is very happy with it and your
    response has convinced this poor retired pensioner to go in this direction
    rather rather than buy a utility to search the BKF files. Unlike you, I am
    not sure that I am computer literate enough to use your software. Thanks
    again for your response.

    David
    --
    Thanks, David T


    "Pegasus [MVP]" wrote:

    >
    >
    > "David R Thiessen" <DavidRThiessen@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in
    > news item news:EC434F60-EC2F-472D-A000-5C5993D7E6EC@microsoft.com...
    > > I've been using XP backup utility in Accessories to back up Docs &
    > > Settings
    > > for two years now (to an external HD) and have even successfully restored
    > > programs by manually searching for the file I want. But...I now have 19
    > > appended incremental back up folders and searching for a file from say, 1
    > > year ago, takes a lot of time. Is there a free or inexpensive SEARCH
    > > utility
    > > to search in the BKF folder for a paticular file by name? Commercially,
    > > SysTools claims to have such a utility for $89 but that is more than this
    > > poor retired 70 yr. old pensioner can afford. Being retired, I can do a
    > > lot o
    > > manual searches for that price. Does M$ have such a utility?
    > >
    > > Thanks, David R

    >
    > Hello poor retired 70 year old pensioner,
    >
    > After reading your post it took me a while to wipe the tears from my eyes
    > before I could see my keyboard again. :)
    >
    > I do not know if Microsoft have such a utility but you can perform the
    > search with a Command Line tool like the one I wrote a little while ago. It
    > does not come with a pretty GUI but it works. By the way, I think you're
    > doing yourself a disservice by using ntbackup.exe to back up your files.
    > There are several reasons for this:
    > - It's hard to locate backed up files.
    > - It's tedious to restore them.
    > - The program is no longer included in Windows 7.
    > I suggest you use an ordinary batch file based on robocopy.exe. It gets
    > around each of these problems.
    >
    > The tool I wrote works if your .bkf file is not compressed. Here is how you
    > use it from the Console:
    >
    > cscript //nologo c:/TextSearch.vbs /s "biography.doc"
    >
    > I would include TextSearch.vbs here if it wasn't for its length (320 lines
    > of solid code). However, if you send your valid EMail address to
    > pegasus_fnlATyahooDOTcom then I will send it to you by EMail.
    >
    > Another poor retired pensioner (66 years old)
    >
    > .
    >
     
  5. David R Thiessen

    David R Thiessen Flightless Bird

    Thanks Jim for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I
    Googled AgentRansack and it looks interesting but I have not had time to
    investigate whether or not it works with BKF files.
    --
    Thanks, David T


    "Jim" wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:55:01 -0800, David R Thiessen
    > <DavidRThiessen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >I've been using XP backup utility in Accessories to back up Docs & Settings
    > >for two years now (to an external HD) and have even successfully restored
    > >programs by manually searching for the file I want. But...I now have 19
    > >appended incremental back up folders and searching for a file from say, 1
    > >year ago, takes a lot of time. Is there a free or inexpensive SEARCH utility
    > >to search in the BKF folder for a paticular file by name? Commercially,
    > >SysTools claims to have such a utility for $89 but that is more than this
    > >poor retired 70 yr. old pensioner can afford. Being retired, I can do a lot o
    > >manual searches for that price. Does M$ have such a utility?
    > >
    > >Thanks, David R

    >
    > AgentRansack ? ( free)
    > .
    >
     
  6. Jim

    Jim Flightless Bird

    On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:55:01 -0800, David R Thiessen
    <DavidRThiessen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks Jim for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I
    >Googled AgentRansack and it looks interesting but I have not had time to
    >investigate whether or not it works with BKF files.


    Also Super Finder XT .
     

Share This Page