• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Science Knowledge Fail

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
The polarizing impact of science literacy and numeracy on perceived climate change risks published May 27, 2012 in Nature Climate Change is receiving attention by Fox News and other conservatives this morning. The claim is that the work debunks that idea that climate change deniers are anti-science.

Actually, there is a very disturbing figure in the supplemental of the study. Only 45% of the respondents knew the earth takes a full year to "go around" the sun. Twenty-eight percent thought the sun went around the earth.

Those are disturbing numbers.

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
I haven't read the report. Does it include a correlation between general science literacy and claims about climate change?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I haven't read the report. Does it include a correlation between general science literacy and claims about climate change?

I believe this was a multivariate analysis with the authors concluding the model for predicting acceptance or denial of the science of climate change based on science knowledge is unsupported. Inclusion of individualism strengthened the model.

Regardless - the poor knowledge of elementary science is jarring. Are people in the United States of America really that stupid to not know Earth's movement around the sun?

steave john

Baby Bird
The polarizing impact of science literacy and numeracy on perceived climate change risks published May 27, 2012 in Nature Climate Change is receiving attention by Fox News and other conservatives this morning. The claim is that the work debunks that idea that climate change deniers are anti-science.

Actually, there is a very disturbing figure in the supplemental of the study. Only 45% of the respondents knew the earth takes a full year to "go around" the sun. Twenty-eight percent thought the sun went around the earth.

Those are disturbing numbers.
i am here with you you to expand your area i belive that there is nothing without science
with out science the world is nothing
i like and love science