1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe Mode Logon Password Keying Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dick K, Feb 3, 2010.

  1. Dick K

    Dick K Flightless Bird

    I'd be grateful for some help with a problem which
    has developed on my desktop system which runs XP MCE
    2005 with all critical updates and has a cordless
    keyboard and mouse from Logitech. Unfortunately I
    don't know when the problem first occurred so I
    can't associate it with any particular circumstance.

    When attempting to logon to a password protected
    account in safe mode via either the welcome screen
    or the classic logon prompt the cursor duly appears
    but key depressions have no effect when an attempt
    is made to enter the password. The mouse works
    normally. If the password is removed from the
    account to be accessed a safe mode logon proceeds
    normally, though of course no password needs to be
    keyed. Having logged on successfully the keyboard
    functions normally within safe mode. There are no
    keyboard or logon problems in normal mode.

    Nothing apparently relevant appears in the event
    logs and device manager shows no problems in normal
    or safe mode. msinfo32 lists one problem device,
    a PS/2 keyboard, but under error code correctly
    states that the device is not present or has no
    drivers installed. Device manager doesn't list a
    PS/2 keyboard.

    --

    Dick K
     
  2. Bernd

    Bernd Flightless Bird

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------

    > I'd be grateful for some help with a problem which
    > has developed on my desktop system which runs XP MCE
    > 2005 with all critical updates and has a cordless
    > keyboard and mouse from Logitech. Unfortunately I
    > don't know when the problem first occurred so I
    > can't associate it with any particular circumstance.
    >
    > When attempting to logon to a password protected
    > account in safe mode via either the welcome screen
    > or the classic logon prompt the cursor duly appears
    > but key depressions have no effect when an attempt
    > is made to enter the password. The mouse works
    > normally. If the password is removed from the
    > account to be accessed a safe mode logon proceeds
    > normally, though of course no password needs to be
    > keyed. Having logged on successfully the keyboard
    > functions normally within safe mode. There are no
    > keyboard or logon problems in normal mode.
    >
    > Nothing apparently relevant appears in the event
    > logs and device manager shows no problems in normal
    > or safe mode. msinfo32 lists one problem device,
    > a PS/2 keyboard, but under error code correctly
    > states that the device is not present or has no
    > drivers installed. Device manager doesn't list a
    > PS/2 keyboard.
    >



    Look here (at the answers too, and especially the answer at the bottom):

    http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup+1/198DAD079C1EE74ECA256E9100304563

    Bernd
     
  3. Dick K

    Dick K Flightless Bird

    Bernd wrote:
    >
    >
    > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    >
    >> I'd be grateful for some help with a problem which
    >> has developed on my desktop system which runs XP MCE
    >> 2005 with all critical updates and has a cordless
    >> keyboard and mouse from Logitech. Unfortunately I
    >> don't know when the problem first occurred so I
    >> can't associate it with any particular circumstance.
    >>
    >> When attempting to logon to a password protected
    >> account in safe mode via either the welcome screen
    >> or the classic logon prompt the cursor duly appears
    >> but key depressions have no effect when an attempt
    >> is made to enter the password. The mouse works
    >> normally. If the password is removed from the
    >> account to be accessed a safe mode logon proceeds
    >> normally, though of course no password needs to be
    >> keyed. Having logged on successfully the keyboard
    >> functions normally within safe mode. There are no
    >> keyboard or logon problems in normal mode.
    >>
    >> Nothing apparently relevant appears in the event
    >> logs and device manager shows no problems in normal
    >> or safe mode. msinfo32 lists one problem device,
    >> a PS/2 keyboard, but under error code correctly
    >> states that the device is not present or has no
    >> drivers installed. Device manager doesn't list a
    >> PS/2 keyboard.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Look here (at the answers too, and especially the answer at the bottom):
    >
    > http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup+1/198DAD079C1EE74ECA256E9100304563
    >
    >
    > Bernd


    Thanks for the response. Until recently I have
    been able to logon in safe mode by entering the
    password via the Logitech USB wireless keyboard
    in the normal way, so the set-up was correct.
    Now keying the password, or indeed pressing any
    keys at the logon prompt produces no visible or
    other effect. Something must have changed to
    create the problem. F8 still gives me the
    option to select safe mode so any drivers
    must be loaded and working at that point. Also
    the keyboard still works normally once I
    I have logged on in safe mode. I can only think
    that something has gone wrong with winlogon's
    password handling in safe mode.

    The other suggestions in your link are
    workarounds but I already have one of those -
    removing the password from the target account
    eliminates the password problem because no
    password needs to be entered.

    --

    Dick K
     
  4. Weavertech89

    Weavertech89 Flightless Bird

    install the software that came with the keyboard and mouse, most of the
    time wireless devices are unable to be used in DOS "safe mode". My
    wireless devices can't get me to safe mode, I keep a wired keyboard in
    hand. if you have installed the drivers then try to uninstall and
    reinstall maybe a small bug that the computer can work out.
     
  5. Pegasus [MVP]

    Pegasus [MVP] Flightless Bird

    "Dick K" <not@this.com> said this in news item
    news:ufGWMJUpKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > Bernd wrote:

    <snip>
    > Thanks for the response. Until recently I have
    > been able to logon in safe mode by entering the
    > password via the Logitech USB wireless keyboard
    > in the normal way, so the set-up was correct.
    >
    > Dick K


    I am latching on to the word "recently". If this is a recent issue then
    System Restore will fix the problem for you.
     
  6. Dick K

    Dick K Flightless Bird

    Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >
    > "Dick K" <not@this.com> said this in news item
    > news:ufGWMJUpKHA.4836@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >> Bernd wrote:

    > <snip>
    >> Thanks for the response. Until recently I have
    >> been able to logon in safe mode by entering the
    >> password via the Logitech USB wireless keyboard
    >> in the normal way, so the set-up was correct.
    >>
    >> Dick K

    >
    > I am latching on to the word "recently". If this is a recent issue then
    > System Restore will fix the problem for you.


    True. The problem may be a two or three months old
    though, so I may no longer have a suitable restore
    point. In that case I could still restore a back-up
    image file but I'd prefer to avoid either expedient
    if there's a known fix. If the problem is
    relatively old updating the system after restoring
    it could be something of a chore and would carry
    the risk of recreating the problem.

    Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

    --

    Dick K
     
  7. Dick K

    Dick K Flightless Bird

    Weavertech89 wrote:
    > install the software that came with the keyboard and mouse, most of the
    > time wireless devices are unable to be used in DOS "safe mode". My
    > wireless devices can't get me to safe mode, I keep a wired keyboard in
    > hand. if you have installed the drivers then try to uninstall and
    > reinstall maybe a small bug that the computer can work out.
    >
    >


    Thanks. It's a Logitech 650 Cordless Desktop De Luxe
    keyboard/mouse set which connects via USB , uses
    Windows drivers and still works in safe mode. The
    problem is that in safe mode it simply won't let
    me get into a password protected account by keying
    the password. If needs be I'll look into the
    possibility of driver corruption but I'll need a
    PS/2 mouse and keyboard for that.

    --

    Dick K
     
  8. Jim

    Jim Flightless Bird

    On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:40:07 +0000, Dick K <not@this.com> wrote:

    >Weavertech89 wrote:
    >> install the software that came with the keyboard and mouse, most of the
    >> time wireless devices are unable to be used in DOS "safe mode". My
    >> wireless devices can't get me to safe mode, I keep a wired keyboard in
    >> hand. if you have installed the drivers then try to uninstall and
    >> reinstall maybe a small bug that the computer can work out.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Thanks. It's a Logitech 650 Cordless Desktop De Luxe
    >keyboard/mouse set which connects via USB , uses
    >Windows drivers and still works in safe mode. The
    >problem is that in safe mode it simply won't let
    >me get into a password protected account by keying
    >the password. If needs be I'll look into the
    >possibility of driver corruption but I'll need a
    >PS/2 mouse and keyboard for that.


    Why are you using windows drivers for Logitech mouse ?
     
  9. Dick K

    Dick K Flightless Bird

    Jim wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:40:07 +0000, Dick K <not@this.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Weavertech89 wrote:
    >>> install the software that came with the keyboard and mouse, most of the
    >>> time wireless devices are unable to be used in DOS "safe mode". My
    >>> wireless devices can't get me to safe mode, I keep a wired keyboard in
    >>> hand. if you have installed the drivers then try to uninstall and
    >>> reinstall maybe a small bug that the computer can work out.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Thanks. It's a Logitech 650 Cordless Desktop De Luxe
    >> keyboard/mouse set which connects via USB , uses
    >> Windows drivers and still works in safe mode. The
    >> problem is that in safe mode it simply won't let
    >> me get into a password protected account by keying
    >> the password. If needs be I'll look into the
    >> possibility of driver corruption but I'll need a
    >> PS/2 mouse and keyboard for that.

    >
    > Why are you using windows drivers for Logitech mouse ?


    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/433/342&cl=us,en?osid=1

    --

    Dick K
     
  10. Dick K

    Dick K Flightless Bird

    Dick K wrote:
    > I'd be grateful for some help with a problem which
    > has developed on my desktop system which runs XP MCE
    > 2005 with all critical updates and has a cordless
    > keyboard and mouse from Logitech. Unfortunately I
    > don't know when the problem first occurred so I
    > can't associate it with any particular circumstance.
    >
    > When attempting to logon to a password protected
    > account in safe mode via either the welcome screen
    > or the classic logon prompt the cursor duly appears
    > but key depressions have no effect when an attempt
    > is made to enter the password. The mouse works
    > normally. If the password is removed from the
    > account to be accessed a safe mode logon proceeds
    > normally, though of course no password needs to be
    > keyed. Having logged on successfully the keyboard
    > functions normally within safe mode.


    I think I may have been mistaken here - at least I
    never again got the keyboard working in safe mode.

    > There are no
    > keyboard or logon problems in normal mode.
    >
    > Nothing apparently relevant appears in the event
    > logs and device manager shows no problems in normal
    > or safe mode.


    This go-round device manager showed a keyboard driver
    error in safe mode "Windows cannot initialize the
    device (Code 37)".

    > msinfo32 lists one problem device,
    > a PS/2 keyboard, but under error code correctly
    > states that the device is not present or has no
    > drivers installed. Device manager doesn't list a
    > PS/2 keyboard.
    >


    My last round of driver updates upgraded the keyboard
    driver from "HID Keyboard Device" to "Logicool HID
    Compliant Keyboard (106 keys)". Rolling the driver
    back cleared the problem. Humiliatingly obvious
    in retrospect.

    --

    Dick K
     

Share This Page