• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Removal of WP Toolbar

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
The mu-plugin developed to link major sites together for easy navigation has now been removed. Now that a common menu is being developed, navigation should be easier. The menu is still not complete but now that the login sits within the menu then the top bar is unnecessary repetition.

Cached files are still hanging around and so you might still see the header. Eventually those pages will be flushed.

PHP:
add_filter( 'show_admin_bar', '__return_false' , 1000 );
View on the Blog

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Thank you. That probably makes it easier to administer the site.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I'm not sure how this change will influence the sites' ratings. After the Penguin Update from April 24 - Google didn't like links that were "inorganic." My suspicion is that they dropped the sites' rankings because of that header - thinking it was an inappropriate way to link the sites. The header menu may also ding things - but that is to be seen.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Has Google started ranking TuxReports again yet?

Too early to know but I doubt their latest shifts in search algorithms are good for review/news sites. A search using the term tablets brings up 4 pages of resellers before an independent review site is listed. But this is based on my own filtered, personalized results that Google's engine returns to my requests.