1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recurrent problem with SEARCH--terminates with a C++ Runtime error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ken, Jul 5, 2010.

  1. Ken

    Ken Flightless Bird

    When I run Windows Search, it will almost always terminate with a
    Runtime Error! Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

    Program: C:/Windows\Explorer.EXE

    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
    way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.


    When I close that box, my desktop goes away (icons, task bar), although
    I can continue with whatever windows are open until I am finished, then
    I need to reboot.

    Does anyone know what may be causing this error?

    Thanks
    Ken K
     
  2. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    Ken wrote:
    > When I run Windows Search, it will almost always terminate with a
    > Runtime Error! Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >
    > Program: C:/Windows\Explorer.EXE
    >
    > This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
    > way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
    >
    >
    > When I close that box, my desktop goes away (icons, task bar), although
    > I can continue with whatever windows are open until I am finished, then
    > I need to reboot.
    >
    > Does anyone know what may be causing this error?


    Is WinXP P3 installed?

    Is Windows (Desktop) Search installed?

    What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
    subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
    What third-party firewall (if any)?

    Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
    computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
    it)?
     
  3. Randem

    Randem Flightless Bird

  4. Ken

    Ken Flightless Bird

    Re: Recurrent problem with SEARCH--terminates with a C++ Runtimeerror

    On 7/5/2010 10:23 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
    > Ken wrote:
    >> When I run Windows Search, it will almost always terminate with a
    >> Runtime Error! Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >>
    >> Program: C:/Windows\Explorer.EXE
    >>
    >> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
    >> way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
    >>
    >>
    >> When I close that box, my desktop goes away (icons, task bar), although
    >> I can continue with whatever windows are open until I am finished, then
    >> I need to reboot.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what may be causing this error?

    >
    > Is WinXP P3 installed?

    Ages ago. I have always kept updates up-to-date
    >
    > Is Windows (Desktop) Search installed?


    No.

    >
    > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
    > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
    > Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?


    Zone alarm (without anti-virus component running) and NOD32. Same
    installation as on 3 other home systems,which do not share the problem.
    All are up to date. No anti-spyware apps running. Indexer not running.


    >
    > Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
    > computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
    > bought it)?

    Heavens no!
     
  5. Ken

    Ken Flightless Bird

  6. Ken

    Ken Flightless Bird

    Re: Recurrent problem with SEARCH--terminates with a C++ Runtimeerror

    PA Bear [MS MVP] said the following on 7/5/2010 10:23 PM:

    >
    > Is WinXP P3 installed?
    >

    I should also add WRT to the updates that my install of XP is on a
    machine that I built a year ago, and this has been the only quirk that I
    have encountered during that time. It is not the worst thing in the
    world, but it can be a nuisance from time to time...
     
  7. Ken

    Ken Flightless Bird

    Re: Recurrent problem with SEARCH--terminates with a C++ Runtimeerror

    Randem said the following on 7/6/2010 12:41 AM:
    > Make sure your C++ runtime files have been updated to the latest SP.
    >

    I downloaded the files for embedded C++ and rean the install, but it
    asked for a license number, so I know I don't have that program. If C++
    is a part of WinXP, then I must have those files, as I have the Pro
    version with all of the updates.
     
  8. John John - MVP

    John John - MVP Flightless Bird

    Re: Recurrent problem with SEARCH--terminates with a C++ Runtimeerror

    Ken wrote:
    > Randem said the following on 7/6/2010 12:41 AM:
    >> Make sure your C++ runtime files have been updated to the latest SP.
    >>

    > I downloaded the files for embedded C++ and rean the install, but it
    > asked for a license number, so I know I don't have that program. If C++
    > is a part of WinXP, then I must have those files, as I have the Pro
    > version with all of the updates.


    Try here:

    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

    John
     
  9. Randem

    Randem Flightless Bird

  10. Zan A. Doo

    Zan A. Doo Flightless Bird

    Huh? That makes no sense. Explain yourself.
    "Randem" <newsgroups@randem.com> wrote in message
    news:uTVDOkTHLHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    : Unless you do the CUSTOM update you are only getting security updates
    which
    : do not update your software on security holes within the OS.
    :
    ::
    :
     
  11. Randem

    Randem Flightless Bird

  12. Randem

    Randem Flightless Bird

  13. Zan A. Doo

    Zan A. Doo Flightless Bird

    You need the help in understanding that security updates for the O/S don't
    require ONLY custom update. You are an absolute HoopleHead.

    "Randem" <newsgroups@randem.com> wrote in message
    news:euYPr1THLHA.1052@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    : of course it makes sense... Which part do you need help with?
    :
    : --
    : The Top Inno Setup Script Generator -
    http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html
    : Free Utilities and Code - http://www.randem.com/freesoftutil.html
    :
    :
     
  14. Randem

    Randem Flightless Bird

  15. Unknown

    Unknown Flightless Bird

    Go to the update site and read the notes along side 'custom' and 'express'.
    "Zan A. Doo" <zana@zana-doo.invalid> wrote in message
    news:i103cu$cmo$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    > You need the help in understanding that security updates for the O/S don't
    > require ONLY custom update. You are an absolute HoopleHead.
    >
    > "Randem" <newsgroups@randem.com> wrote in message
    > news:euYPr1THLHA.1052@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > : of course it makes sense... Which part do you need help with?
    > :
    > : --
    > : The Top Inno Setup Script Generator -
    > http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html
    > : Free Utilities and Code - http://www.randem.com/freesoftutil.html
    > :
    > :
    >
    >
     
  16. Randem

    Randem Flightless Bird

  17. Unknown

    Unknown Flightless Bird

  18. Randem

    Randem Flightless Bird

  19. Zan A. Doo

    Zan A. Doo Flightless Bird

  20. Randem

    Randem Flightless Bird

Share This Page