1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RE: Computer Freez

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Raymond, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Raymond

Raymond Flightless Bird

I had a computer freezing problem and was told it was the memory chip. Turns
    out it wasn't actually the chip but somewhere in the slot it sits in. After
    inserting a new chip the computer might run for a day or two before freezing.
    As I have a laptop there doesn't seem to be much I can do beyond avoiding
    that slot (which reduces me to the only other slot and 512MB max). I bought a
    MemTest-86 bootable CD-Rom memory diagnostic program from BradyTech Inc;
    haven't tried to boot up with it yet though (with a chip in the slot that has
    the bad spot in it somewhere) partly because I would probably have to run the
    thing days and then all I would get is conformation of what I already know. I
    wish there was a way to ignore/bypass whatever is bad in the slot (like can
    be done on hard drives) but I don't think that is possible. Anyone know
    differently?? So I am posting this mostly just in case someone else's problem
    is the same, yet the possibility of a bad slot rather than the chip in it
    never occured to them. I suppose it could be repaired in a PC but I am told
    it can not be done in a notebook.
    --
    Thank you, Raymond

"NitricNoobie" wrote:

> ok, first i had a stick of ram that was 512 it wasnt the one meant for it, my manufacturer gave me this stick because the memory that came with the computer was bad...recently i have switched out that stick with a new one, this memory IS compatible with my proccessor and my mother board but it for some reason will constantly lock up with me. I have done the whole trial and error thing to see if it is the memory stick...i have currently been through 4 sticks now and they all give me the same result... a blue screen with the error messages 0x0000008E and 0xc0000005 and 0xBFA3F4BB and 0xEBB52A50 and 0x00000000 there are other messages also NAVENG.Sys - address EBB52A50 base at EBB52A50 Datestamp 00000000 and another saysNv4_disp.dll - address BFA3F4BB base at BF9B7000 datestamp 3f725d4c i have resarched all of these in google; most give me memory related results but the last 4 error messages that i mentioned give me no results, i hope that i copied them right...im sure that it isnt

the memory now because 4 consecutive memory sticks couldnt all be bad... thanks in advance for any and all of your help.
    >
    > i also reinstalled Windows Xp onto my system and yet it still seemed to freeze on me......
    >
    >

--
    Thank you, Raymond

"Firouz" wrote:

> I have Windows Home Edition.
    > This morning all was fine, but since this evening my computer boots and
    > after few seconds freezes. No keys work anymore, ALT-CTRL-Del, nothing.
    > Rebooting again and again does not help.
    > I have 60GB Hard Drive and 512 MB RAM.
    > Please help.
    > Is this virus?
    > Thanks for any hints,
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > Firouz

2. Richard in AZ

Richard in AZ Flightless Bird

A bad memory slot will require a whole new system board (Mother board) in either a desktop of a
    laptop.
    There is no practical way for a consumer or even a tech shop to repair the system board.
    That being said, you will find that laptop system boards are more expensive to buy and much more
    labor intense to replace.

"Raymond" <Raymond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:BE5CAD3A-E48E-4162-9327-B7CFD9894146@microsoft.com...
    >I had a computer freezing problem and was told it was the memory chip. Turns
    > out it wasn't actually the chip but somewhere in the slot it sits in. After
    > inserting a new chip the computer might run for a day or two before freezing.
    > As I have a laptop there doesn't seem to be much I can do beyond avoiding
    > that slot (which reduces me to the only other slot and 512MB max). I bought a
    > MemTest-86 bootable CD-Rom memory diagnostic program from BradyTech Inc;
    > haven't tried to boot up with it yet though (with a chip in the slot that has
    > the bad spot in it somewhere) partly because I would probably have to run the
    > thing days and then all I would get is conformation of what I already know. I
    > wish there was a way to ignore/bypass whatever is bad in the slot (like can
    > be done on hard drives) but I don't think that is possible. Anyone know
    > differently?? So I am posting this mostly just in case someone else's problem
    > is the same, yet the possibility of a bad slot rather than the chip in it
    > never occured to them. I suppose it could be repaired in a PC but I am told
    > it can not be done in a notebook.
    > --
    > Thank you, Raymond
    >
    >
    > "NitricNoobie" wrote:
    >
    >> ok, first i had a stick of ram that was 512 it wasnt the one meant for it, my manufacturer gave
    >> me this stick because the memory that came with the computer was bad...recently i have switched
    >> out that stick with a new one, this memory IS compatible with my proccessor and my mother board
    >> but it for some reason will constantly lock up with me. I have done the whole trial and error
    >> thing to see if it is the memory stick...i have currently been through 4 sticks now and they all
    >> give me the same result... a blue screen with the error messages 0x0000008E and 0xc0000005 and
    >> 0xBFA3F4BB and 0xEBB52A50 and 0x00000000 there are other messages also NAVENG.Sys - address
    >> EBB52A50 base at EBB52A50 Datestamp 00000000 and another saysNv4_disp.dll - address BFA3F4BB base
    >> at BF9B7000 datestamp 3f725d4c i have resarched all of these in google; most give me memory
    >> related results but the last 4 error messages that i mentioned give me no results, i hope that i
    >> copied them right...im sure that it isnt

> the memory now because 4 consecutive memory sticks couldnt all be bad... thanks in advance for any
    > and all of your help.
    >>
    >> i also reinstalled Windows Xp onto my system and yet it still seemed to freeze on me......
    >>
    >>

> --
    > Thank you, Raymond
    >
    >
    > "Firouz" wrote:
    >
    >> I have Windows Home Edition.
    >> This morning all was fine, but since this evening my computer boots and
    >> after few seconds freezes. No keys work anymore, ALT-CTRL-Del, nothing.
    >> Rebooting again and again does not help.
    >> I have 60GB Hard Drive and 512 MB RAM.
    >> Please help.
    >> Is this virus?
    >> Thanks for any hints,
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >>
    >> Firouz