• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Pigeons In The Attic

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor

Four years ago, Pascal and I moved into this house. Some of the features needing repair included the front lawn, mold in the kitchen cabinets, two huge trees with roots twisted throughout the backyard, and a back porch tilted the wrong way.

The front lawn is now growing nicely. The two trees are down - and roots are pulled out of the ground. One tree stump still exists but it'll is next to a block wall and will take an expert to pull. The back porch is still a mess.

Well - there was one more major challenge that makes this house unhealthy - pigeons.

The heater company came out yesterday and we looked up in the attic. The pigeon droppings rained down on us. Droppings were all over the spacing. Besides the droppings, the pigeons had ripped up the vents.

After getting on masks and gloves, I started to chase out the pigeons today. Gun noises from the iPhone app failed. Ultrasonic sounds didn't work. Banging loudly on rafters were ignored. Even tossing items at them didn't chase out all the pigeons.

Stubborn birds

There are still six holdouts. They refuse to leave. Regardless, we closed off all the openings that we could find. We left the attic board open into the house with lights illuminating a path to the outside.

I've been up in the attic with bags, and am slowly pulling up the fiberglass filled with the pigeon excrement. However, the birds just sit in the corner and stare at me. The task is going to take me days. Hopefully the birds find their way out - before they die.
View on the Blog

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
The insulation is now out of the attic and it's time to clean up the droppings. Because the outside temperature has dropped - the house sits at a nice warm 55 degrees. After cleaning up the mess then the ducts can be put back in place and the heater turned on again. I look forward to that time !