1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenOffice Falters Severely on Microsoft Office interoperability

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Roland Whitson, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. Roland Whitson

    Roland Whitson Flightless Bird

    As if it's not already known, OpenOffice, like most free open source
    software, is a pile of crap.


    http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/office-compatibility-torture-test-302?page=0,0

    Follow the pages and look at the carnage.


    "In InfoWorld's tests using complex Word and Excel documents,
    OpenOffice.org 3.1 failed to deliver on its promise of better
    Microsoft Office interoperability, severely mangling our Microsoft
    Word and Microsoft Excel test data files. By stark contrast, SoftMaker
    Office showed excellent compatibility with Office 2003 file formats,
    making it a safe choice for heterogeneous environments -- at least
    where external data access wasn¢t a priority. Neither OpenOffice.org
    nor SoftMaker Office was able to preserve links to an external SQL
    data source in imported Microsoft Excel documents."


    "The three images below show the identical document section rendered
    under Microsoft Word 2010 (in compatibility mode), OpenOffice Writer
    3.1, and TextMaker 2009, respectively. Notice how OpenOffice mangled
    the hanging indent in the bulleted list, while Word and TextMaker
    rendered the list correctly. (Click each image for a closer look.)"

    And this one from the last page is the best!

    http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/office-compatibility-torture-test-302?page=0,4

    "Finally, these last three images show what happens when you import
    the same file in Office 2007 (Open XML, .docx) format. OpenOffice
    Writer completely lost track of the embedded charts and drawings,
    reducing them to gibberish at the top of the document (first and
    second images). By contrast, the beta release of TextMaker 2009 (third
    image) successfully imported and rendered the entire contents of the
    Office 2007-formatted Word document"

    But of course Peter KKKolhmann claims Openoffice translates documents
    just fine and Chris Ahlstrom claims he sends OO documents all the time
    to co-workers and they don't seem to have any problems.

    I prefer to believe Infoworld over the lying Linux cracked pots.
     
  2. Snit

    Snit Flightless Bird

    Roland Whitson stated in post hie1o9$lf6$1@speranza.aioe.org on 1/10/10 7:17
    PM:

    > As if it's not already known, OpenOffice, like most free open source
    > software, is a pile of crap.
    >
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/office-compatibility-torture-test-302?
    > page=0,0
    >
    > Follow the pages and look at the carnage.
    >
    >
    > "In InfoWorld's tests using complex Word and Excel documents,
    > OpenOffice.org 3.1 failed to deliver on its promise of better
    > Microsoft Office interoperability, severely mangling our Microsoft
    > Word and Microsoft Excel test data files. By stark contrast, SoftMaker
    > Office showed excellent compatibility with Office 2003 file formats,
    > making it a safe choice for heterogeneous environments -- at least
    > where external data access wasn¹t a priority. Neither OpenOffice.org
    > nor SoftMaker Office was able to preserve links to an external SQL
    > data source in imported Microsoft Excel documents."
    >
    >
    > "The three images below show the identical document section rendered
    > under Microsoft Word 2010 (in compatibility mode), OpenOffice Writer
    > 3.1, and TextMaker 2009, respectively. Notice how OpenOffice mangled
    > the hanging indent in the bulleted list, while Word and TextMaker
    > rendered the list correctly. (Click each image for a closer look.)"
    >
    > And this one from the last page is the best!
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/office-compatibility-torture-test-302?
    > page=0,4
    >
    > "Finally, these last three images show what happens when you import
    > the same file in Office 2007 (Open XML, .docx) format. OpenOffice
    > Writer completely lost track of the embedded charts and drawings,
    > reducing them to gibberish at the top of the document (first and
    > second images). By contrast, the beta release of TextMaker 2009 (third
    > image) successfully imported and rendered the entire contents of the
    > Office 2007-formatted Word document"
    >
    > But of course Peter KKKolhmann claims Openoffice translates documents
    > just fine and Chris Ahlstrom claims he sends OO documents all the time
    > to co-workers and they don't seem to have any problems.
    >
    > I prefer to believe Infoworld over the lying Linux cracked pots.


    HPT will say Infoworld housed those images on their own site and thus they
    forged them. Just wait.


    --
    [INSERT .SIG HERE]
     
  3. RonB

    RonB Flightless Bird

    Re: OpenOffice Falters Severely on Microsoft Officeinteroperability

    On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:17:49 -0500, Roland Whitson wrote:

    <Nothing much>

    Guess it's time to dump Microsoft Office then. If they can't get their
    stuff to work with a decent office suite, why I should care about keeping
    their mediocre crap afloat?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"
     
  4. Snit

    Snit Flightless Bird

    RonB stated in post hie4gf$oj6$1@news.eternal-september.org on 1/10/10 8:04
    PM:

    > On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:17:49 -0500, Roland Whitson wrote:
    >
    > <Nothing much>
    >
    > Guess it's time to dump Microsoft Office then. If they can't get their
    > stuff to work with a decent office suite, why I should care about keeping
    > their mediocre crap afloat?


    Keeping them afloat? Huh?


    --
    [INSERT .SIG HERE]
     
  5. Roland Whitson

    Roland Whitson Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:05:41 -0700, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > JeffM wrote:
    >> alt.windows7.general removed from To line.
    >>
    >> Roland Whitson wrote:
    >>
    >>> By stark contrast, SoftMaker Office showed excellent compatibility
    >>> with Office 2003 file formats,

    >>
    >> So, to use M$'s closed format you want closed-source payware.
    >> Surprize!
    >>
    >> The moral of this story, boys and girls, is avoid M$'s apps and their
    >> formats.

    >
    > I don't expect much from a nymshifting Wintroll cross posting to a Win7
    > group through AIOE.


    Last time I checked Open Office had a Windows version as well.

    Few people or businesses use it, but it is there.

    This is far more on topic than your posts concerning your theory about
    cock size vs motorcycle size.

    And for those who think I am making that last one up, I'm not.
    Google it.

    While you're at it google High Plains Thumper + Wendy Toiletwater
    which is HPT's female persona nym when he is feeling somewhat amorous.


    Afraid the word about Open Office's horrid compatibility with what is
    the defacto standard in business, Microsoft Office?

    Looks like the cat is already out of the bag.

    BTW if you have a problem with Open Office's horrendous rendering of
    Microsoft documents, take it up with the Open Office programmers.

    I'm just the messenger.
     
  6. Hadron

    Hadron Flightless Bird

    Roland Whitson <lackawanna1943@gmail.com> writes:

    > As if it's not already known, OpenOffice, like most free open source
    > software, is a pile of crap.
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/office-compatibility-torture-test-302?page=0,0
    >
    > Follow the pages and look at the carnage.
    >
    > "In InfoWorld's tests using complex Word and Excel documents,
    > OpenOffice.org 3.1 failed to deliver on its promise of better
    > Microsoft Office interoperability, severely mangling our Microsoft
    > Word and Microsoft Excel test data files. By stark contrast, SoftMaker
    > Office showed excellent compatibility with Office 2003 file formats,
    > making it a safe choice for heterogeneous environments -- at least
    > where external data access wasn’t a priority. Neither OpenOffice.org
    > nor SoftMaker Office was able to preserve links to an external SQL
    > data source in imported Microsoft Excel documents."
    >
    > "The three images below show the identical document section rendered
    > under Microsoft Word 2010 (in compatibility mode), OpenOffice Writer
    > 3.1, and TextMaker 2009, respectively. Notice how OpenOffice mangled
    > the hanging indent in the bulleted list, while Word and TextMaker
    > rendered the list correctly. (Click each image for a closer look.)"
    >
    > And this one from the last page is the best!
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/office-compatibility-torture-test-302?page=0,4
    >
    > "Finally, these last three images show what happens when you import
    > the same file in Office 2007 (Open XML, .docx) format. OpenOffice
    > Writer completely lost track of the embedded charts and drawings,
    > reducing them to gibberish at the top of the document (first and
    > second images). By contrast, the beta release of TextMaker 2009 (third
    > image) successfully imported and rendered the entire contents of the
    > Office 2007-formatted Word document"
    >
    > But of course Peter KKKolhmann claims Openoffice translates documents
    > just fine and Chris Ahlstrom claims he sends OO documents all the time
    > to co-workers and they don't seem to have any problems.
    >
    > I prefer to believe Infoworld over the lying Linux cracked pots.


    That can't be right. Chris Ahlstrom, Peter Koelhlmann and some latest
    bozo who assures people they can replace MSO with OO with no problems at
    all told us that OO works with MSO documents "just fine": so who to
    believe? A bunch of proven liars, frauds and COLA loonies or some
    independent review?

    Hmmm.....
     
  7. Hadron

    Hadron Flightless Bird

    Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> writes:

    > RonB stated in post hie4gf$oj6$1@news.eternal-september.org on 1/10/10 8:04
    > PM:
    >
    >> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:17:49 -0500, Roland Whitson wrote:
    >>
    >> <Nothing much>
    >>
    >> Guess it's time to dump Microsoft Office then. If they can't get their
    >> stuff to work with a decent office suite, why I should care about keeping
    >> their mediocre crap afloat?

    >
    > Keeping them afloat? Huh?


    RonB uses windows and MSO.
     
  8. High Plains Thumper

    High Plains Thumper Flightless Bird

    Re: OpenOffice Falters Severely on Microsoft Officeinteroperability

    Roland Whitson [Flatfish] wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> I don't expect much from a nymshifting Wintroll cross posting to a
    >> Win7 group through AIOE.

    >
    > Last time I checked Open Office had a Windows version as well.
    >
    > Few people or businesses use it, but it is there.
    >
    > This is far more on topic than your posts concerning your theory
    > about cock size vs motorcycle size.


    Message-ID: <hie572$ota$1@speranza.aioe.org>

    <SNIP> rest of Flatfish droppings.

    Evidence of flatfish nymshifting using Dutch nym:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/15886e781615d893

    Most recent nym:

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2009/12/erin-mungan.html

    Some nyms, the flatfish one documents many nyms it has used:

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/01/moshe-goldfarb-troll.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/11/sandeep-kumar.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/12/gary-m-stewart.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2009/02/doctor-smith.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html

    Another recent nym, baaaaabaaaaboooeee

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/22f18a69ad3d175f

    --
    HPT
     
  9. Roland Whitson

    Roland Whitson Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 05:52:13 +0000 (UTC), High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Roland Whitson [Flatfish] wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't expect much from a nymshifting Wintroll cross posting to a
    >>> Win7 group through AIOE.

    >>
    >> Last time I checked Open Office had a Windows version as well.
    >>
    >> Few people or businesses use it, but it is there.
    >>
    >> This is far more on topic than your posts concerning your theory
    >> about cock size vs motorcycle size.

    >
    > Message-ID: <hie572$ota$1@speranza.aioe.org>
    >
    > <SNIP> rest of Flatfish droppings.


    So are you going to tell us about your theories on cock size vs
    motorcycle size?

    Inquiring minds want to know about this theory of yours.

    How about High Plains Thumper?
    Please George Hostler?
    Come on, Wendy ToiletWater?

    Why not?
     
  10. BrianNZ

    BrianNZ Flightless Bird

    Roland Whitson wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 05:52:13 +0000 (UTC), High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Roland Whitson [Flatfish] wrote:
    >>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I don't expect much from a nymshifting Wintroll cross posting to a
    >>>> Win7 group through AIOE.
    >>> Last time I checked Open Office had a Windows version as well.
    >>>
    >>> Few people or businesses use it, but it is there.
    >>>
    >>> This is far more on topic than your posts concerning your theory
    >>> about cock size vs motorcycle size.

    >> Message-ID: <hie572$ota$1@speranza.aioe.org>
    >>
    >> <SNIP> rest of Flatfish droppings.

    >
    > So are you going to tell us about your theories on cock size vs
    > motorcycle size?
    >
    > Inquiring minds want to know about this theory of yours.
    >
    > How about High Plains Thumper?
    > Please George Hostler?
    > Come on, Wendy ToiletWater?
    >
    > Why not?



    Spacker? is that you??
     
  11. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    Roland Whitson wrote:
    > As if it's not already known, OpenOffice, like most free open source
    > software, is a pile of crap.
    >
    >
    >


    Works PERFECTLY OK here on Windows 7 Home Premium....
     
  12. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    Roland Whitson wrote:

    >
    > Few people or businesses use it,
    >


    How can you tell that? No price, no "activation" needed, one copy can be
    installed on as many computers as you want.

    Typical brainwashed MS stooge
     
  13. Rick

    Rick Flightless Bird

    Re: OpenOffice Falters Severely on Microsoft Officeinteroperability

    On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:16:54 -0500, Roland Whitson wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:05:41 -0700, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> JeffM wrote:
    >>> alt.windows7.general removed from To line.
    >>>
    >>> Roland Whitson wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> By stark contrast, SoftMaker Office showed excellent compatibility
    >>>> with Office 2003 file formats,
    >>>
    >>> So, to use M$'s closed format you want closed-source payware.
    >>> Surprize!
    >>>
    >>> The moral of this story, boys and girls, is avoid M$'s apps and their
    >>> formats.

    >>
    >> I don't expect much from a nymshifting Wintroll cross posting to a Win7
    >> group through AIOE.

    >
    > Last time I checked Open Office had a Windows version as well.
    >
    > Few people or businesses use it, but it is there.
    >
    > This is far more on topic than your posts concerning your theory about
    > cock size vs motorcycle size.
    >
    > And for those who think I am making that last one up, I'm not. Google
    > it.
    >
    > While you're at it google High Plains Thumper + Wendy Toiletwater which
    > is HPT's female persona nym when he is feeling somewhat amorous.
    >
    >
    > Afraid the word about Open Office's horrid compatibility with what is
    > the defacto standard in business, Microsoft Office?
    >
    > Looks like the cat is already out of the bag.
    >
    > BTW if you have a problem with Open Office's horrendous rendering of
    > Microsoft documents, take it up with the Open Office programmers.
    >
    > I'm just the messenger.


    <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
    Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments>



    --
    Rick
     
  14. Snit

    Snit Flightless Bird

    Rick stated in post FJudnYMBuJT5kNbWnZ2dnUVZ_vVi4p2d@supernews.com on
    1/11/10 4:37 AM:

    > On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:16:54 -0500, Roland Whitson wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:05:41 -0700, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> JeffM wrote:
    >>>> alt.windows7.general removed from To line.
    >>>>
    >>>> Roland Whitson wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> By stark contrast, SoftMaker Office showed excellent compatibility
    >>>>> with Office 2003 file formats,
    >>>>
    >>>> So, to use M$'s closed format you want closed-source payware.
    >>>> Surprize!
    >>>>
    >>>> The moral of this story, boys and girls, is avoid M$'s apps and their
    >>>> formats.
    >>>
    >>> I don't expect much from a nymshifting Wintroll cross posting to a Win7
    >>> group through AIOE.

    >>
    >> Last time I checked Open Office had a Windows version as well.
    >>
    >> Few people or businesses use it, but it is there.
    >>
    >> This is far more on topic than your posts concerning your theory about
    >> cock size vs motorcycle size.
    >>
    >> And for those who think I am making that last one up, I'm not. Google
    >> it.
    >>
    >> While you're at it google High Plains Thumper + Wendy Toiletwater which
    >> is HPT's female persona nym when he is feeling somewhat amorous.
    >>
    >>
    >> Afraid the word about Open Office's horrid compatibility with what is
    >> the defacto standard in business, Microsoft Office?
    >>
    >> Looks like the cat is already out of the bag.
    >>
    >> BTW if you have a problem with Open Office's horrendous rendering of
    >> Microsoft documents, take it up with the Open Office programmers.
    >>
    >> I'm just the messenger.

    >
    > <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/
    > Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments>
    >
    >

    Which of those groups have been able to get around the problem? None!
    Oh... then you have no point... other than they number of users implies
    quality.

    Gee, that makes Windows the best thing *ever* in your view, eh?


    --
    [INSERT .SIG HERE]
     
  15. Lusotec

    Lusotec Flightless Bird

    Roland Whitson wrote:
    > As if it's not already known, OpenOffice, like most free open source
    > software, is a pile of crap.


    Another troll or just another troll's nym?

    > <http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/office-compatibility-torture-
    > test-302?page=0,0>


    The solution is obvious and simple, use open and well documented file
    formats (e.g. ODF) instead of closed and undocumented ones (e.g.
    doc/xls/ppt).

    It has been a while since I have received any docs (or xls, ppt) and much
    longer since I have send one.

    Regards.
     
  16. Bill Yanaire, ESQ

    Bill Yanaire, ESQ Flightless Bird

    "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:7r0869Fc2bU1@mid.individual.net...
    > Roland Whitson wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Few people or businesses use it,
    >>


    Err - You really are STUPID. Most businesses use Microsoft office you dumb
    shit. Now shove your head back in your ass where it belongs. Err. <sign>
    Umm.
     
  17. Bill Yanaire, ESQ

    Bill Yanaire, ESQ Flightless Bird

    "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:7r0768F5fuU1@mid.individual.net...
    > Roland Whitson wrote:
    >> As if it's not already known, OpenOffice, like most free open source
    >> software, is a pile of crap.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Works PERFECTLY OK here on Windows 7 Home Premium....


    Err - Yea, but you don't do anything with it so how would you know? Err -
    You just look at the ICONS on the screen and drool. Err. Umm.
     
  18. Hadron

    Hadron Flightless Bird

    Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> writes:

    > Roland Whitson wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Few people or businesses use it,
    >>

    >
    > How can you tell that? No price, no "activation" needed, one copy can be
    > installed on as many computers as you want.
    >
    > Typical brainwashed MS stooge


    Try coming out of your mother's basement Gortard and look.
     
  19. 7

    7 Flightless Bird

    Microsoft Office Falters Severely on ISO Standards of interoperability, OpenOffice - NO PROBLEMS!

    Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt pounding the
    sock Roland Whitson wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Appil
    Department of Marketing:


    > As if it's not already known



    Look out behind you! ITS THE BSA!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

    Isn't the what the windummy pirate retards are afraid of most?!!!!


    Too bad that more users are now Open Office users than windummy luzers.

    http://www.openoffice.org

    Free to download and use without the BSA on your back.
    Cheaper too to run too than micosahft oriffice viri ridden products.

    Your documents written in Open Office are compliant with all
    ISO standards compliant organisations like government, big
    corporations and education. Outputs in PDF too for easy distribution
    to the standards compliant world of document processing.
     
  20. 7

    7 Flightless Bird

    Microsoft Office Falters Severely on ISO Standards interoperability - Open Office NO PROBLEM!!!

    Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote:

    >
    >
    > "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:7r0768F5fuU1@mid.individual.net...
    >> Roland Whitson wrote:
    >>> As if it's not already known, OpenOffice, like most free open source
    >>> software, is a pile of crap.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Works PERFECTLY OK here on Windows 7 Home Premium....

    >
    > Err - Yea, but you don't do anything with it so how would you know? Err -
    > You just look at the ICONS on the screen and drool. Err. Umm.



    Thats you dumbo.

    All my documents are in OpenOffice.
    All the embedded gadgets I make output data in open office compatible
    spreadsheets format. Thats because Open Office data formats are free of
    patent crap and they will live on forever with the aid of ISO standards.

    All custom software I write in Gambas output their data in open office
    compatible spreadsheets and reports for exactly the same reason.

    The data is truly portable and independent of any particular OS.

    Micoshaft crap formats? - I can't vouch when you will be sued if you
    use any of their dying non-standard crap.


    Any way I thought windump OSen 7 was a rip of off MoonOS Kachana?
    That was out months before windump 7 was released!!!!

    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=moonos

    http://www.livecdlist.com - for more distros that are faster
    than windump crap.
     

Share This Page