1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only Nine More Days to Go!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alias, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.

    What can be done with Ubuntu:

    Email
    Surf the web
    Burn CDs.
    Rip CDs.
    Listen to music.
    Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    Scan and print.
    Spreadsheets.
    Presentations
    Newsgroups.
    HTML editing.
    Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    Make videos.
    Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    Translations.
    Use a dictionary
    Learn how to touch type.
    Edit images.
    Send and receive a fax.
    Take screenshots.
    Create .PDF files.
    Create and use a data base.
    Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    Windows Live Messenger.
    IRC.
    Bluetooth.

    and much more!

    What you can't do with Ubuntu:

    Worry about:
    WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    DRM,
    Viruses,
    Root kits,
    Spyware,
    and
    Malware.

    --
    Alias
     
  2. John B. Slocomb

    John B. Slocomb Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:02:20 +0200, Alias
    <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:

    >On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    >a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    >will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    >http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.
    >
    >What can be done with Ubuntu:
    >
    >Email
    >Surf the web
    >Burn CDs.
    >Rip CDs.
    >Listen to music.
    >Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    >Scan and print.
    >Spreadsheets.
    >Presentations
    >Newsgroups.
    >HTML editing.
    >Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    >Make videos.
    >Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    >Translations.
    >Use a dictionary
    >Learn how to touch type.
    >Edit images.
    >Send and receive a fax.
    >Take screenshots.
    >Create .PDF files.
    >Create and use a data base.
    >Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    >Windows Live Messenger.
    >IRC.
    >Bluetooth.
    >
    >and much more!
    >
    >What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >
    >Worry about:
    >WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    >DRM,
    >Viruses,
    >Root kits,
    >Spyware,
    >and
    >Malware.



    An interesting story, as told by a nonentity.

    Now here is what appeared in the May issue of Linux Format, reputed to
    have the largest circulation of any U.K. Linux magazine.

    From an article entitled "Clam AV, Setting up antivirus"

    Despite the myths Linux is far from immune to viruses. Exploits in
    cross-platform technologies such as Java and Flash can apply to the
    Linux environment just as much as they can to any other operating
    system...

    Before you write off all your previous opinions about the inerrant
    security of the Linux environment lets consider some numbers.
    Conservative estimates from various sources tend to place the number
    of Windows exploits several thousand orders of magnitude higher then
    everyone's favorite free operating system...

    The reason that Windows has the most vulnerabilities however is mostly
    down to the Microsoft market dominance...

    In short, that author is saying that Linux is vulnerable to attack and
    second that the reason there is so many attacks reported on Windows is
    simply because the numbers of Windows computers is vastly greater then
    Linux.

    So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.

    John B. Slocomb
    (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
     
  3. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    John B. Slocomb wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:02:20 +0200, Alias
    > <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >
    >> On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    >> a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    >> will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.
    >>
    >> What can be done with Ubuntu:
    >>
    >> Email
    >> Surf the web
    >> Burn CDs.
    >> Rip CDs.
    >> Listen to music.
    >> Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    >> Scan and print.
    >> Spreadsheets.
    >> Presentations
    >> Newsgroups.
    >> HTML editing.
    >> Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    >> Make videos.
    >> Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    >> Translations.
    >> Use a dictionary
    >> Learn how to touch type.
    >> Edit images.
    >> Send and receive a fax.
    >> Take screenshots.
    >> Create .PDF files.
    >> Create and use a data base.
    >> Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    >> Windows Live Messenger.
    >> IRC.
    >> Bluetooth.
    >>
    >> and much more!
    >>
    >> What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >>
    >> Worry about:
    >> WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    >> DRM,
    >> Viruses,
    >> Root kits,
    >> Spyware,
    >> and
    >> Malware.

    >
    >
    > An interesting story, as told by a nonentity.
    >
    > Now here is what appeared in the May issue of Linux Format, reputed to
    > have the largest circulation of any U.K. Linux magazine.
    >
    > From an article entitled "Clam AV, Setting up antivirus"
    >
    > Despite the myths Linux is far from immune to viruses. Exploits in
    > cross-platform technologies such as Java and Flash can apply to the
    > Linux environment just as much as they can to any other operating
    > system...
    >
    > Before you write off all your previous opinions about the inerrant
    > security of the Linux environment lets consider some numbers.
    > Conservative estimates from various sources tend to place the number
    > of Windows exploits several thousand orders of magnitude higher then
    > everyone's favorite free operating system...
    >
    > The reason that Windows has the most vulnerabilities however is mostly
    > down to the Microsoft market dominance...
    >
    > In short, that author is saying that Linux is vulnerable to attack and
    > second that the reason there is so many attacks reported on Windows is
    > simply because the numbers of Windows computers is vastly greater then
    > Linux.
    >
    > So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    > opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    > ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >
    > John B. Slocomb
    > (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)


    Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym, I
    could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.
    --
    Alias
     
  4. Tony

    Tony Flightless Bird

    Don't encourage those cheapskate wankers. Ubuntu or a cunt or two put in a
    big warning sign use at your own risk, we can't be held responsible or any
    fuckups to your system.

    Alias wrote:

    > On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    > a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    > will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.
    >
    > What can be done with Ubuntu:
    >
    > Email
    > Surf the web
    > Burn CDs.
    > Rip CDs.
    > Listen to music.
    > Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    > Scan and print.
    > Spreadsheets.
    > Presentations
    > Newsgroups.
    > HTML editing.
    > Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    > Make videos.
    > Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    > Translations.
    > Use a dictionary
    > Learn how to touch type.
    > Edit images.
    > Send and receive a fax.
    > Take screenshots.
    > Create .PDF files.
    > Create and use a data base.
    > Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    > Windows Live Messenger.
    > IRC.
    > Bluetooth.
    >
    > and much more!
    >
    > What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >
    > Worry about:
    > WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    > DRM,
    > Viruses,
    > Root kits,
    > Spyware,
    > and
    > Malware.
    >
    > --
    > Alias


    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper
    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    on the job for potty mouth,

    Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!

    El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar

    Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond
    the realm of understandability

    Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday
     
  5. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Tony wrote:
    > Don't encourage those cheapskate wankers. Ubuntu or a cunt or two put in a
    > big warning sign use at your own risk, we can't be held responsible or any
    > fuckups to your system.


    You've never read your Windows EULA? ALL OSes say that because they
    can't be responsible for the stupid things computer users do.

    >
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    >> a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    >> will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.
    >>
    >> What can be done with Ubuntu:
    >>
    >> Email
    >> Surf the web
    >> Burn CDs.
    >> Rip CDs.
    >> Listen to music.
    >> Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    >> Scan and print.
    >> Spreadsheets.
    >> Presentations
    >> Newsgroups.
    >> HTML editing.
    >> Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    >> Make videos.
    >> Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    >> Translations.
    >> Use a dictionary
    >> Learn how to touch type.
    >> Edit images.
    >> Send and receive a fax.
    >> Take screenshots.
    >> Create .PDF files.
    >> Create and use a data base.
    >> Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    >> Windows Live Messenger.
    >> IRC.
    >> Bluetooth.
    >>
    >> and much more!
    >>
    >> What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >>
    >> Worry about:
    >> WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    >> DRM,
    >> Viruses,
    >> Root kits,
    >> Spyware,
    >> and
    >> Malware.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias

    >
    > --
    > The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG
    >
    > Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city
    >
    > Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper
    > manners
    >
    > Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    > on the job for potty mouth,
    >
    > Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!
    >
    > El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar
    >
    > Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man
    >
    > Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond
    > the realm of understandability
    >
    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday
    >
    >



    --
    Alias
     
  6. DanS

    DanS Flightless Bird

    Tony <Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich> wrote in
    news:4BCDA3FE.8D1B14A@TheDeli.Sandwich:

    > Don't encourage those cheapskate wankers. Ubuntu or a cunt
    > or two put in a big warning sign use at your own risk, we
    > can't be held responsible or any fuckups to your system.


    That's what the EULA says for just about every s/w title anyway.

    "While XXXXXXX make every effort to deliver high quality
    products, we do not guarantee that our products are free from
    defects. Our software is provided “as is," and you use the
    software at your own risk.

    We make no warranties as to performance, merchantability,
    fitness for a particular purpose, or any other warranties
    whether expressed or implied.

    No oral or written communication from or information provided by
    XXXXXXX shall create a warranty.

    Under no circumstances shall XXXXXXX be liable for direct,
    indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages
    resulting from the use, misuse, or inability to use this
    software, even if XXXXXXX has been advised of the possibility of
    such damages."

    .........pretty standard stuff.
     
  7. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    news:hqk7jr$3el$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>
    >> John B. Slocomb
    >> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

    >
    > Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    > nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym, I
    > could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my "real
    > identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.
    > --
    > Alias


    So fucktard, whoever wrote the articles you posted obviously knows nothing
    about Linux architecture and neither do you. You are passing along ILL
    INFORMED OPINIONS about that SHITTY Ubuntu that the public rejects as
    garbage. Get over it. Ubuntu has been free for years yet most reject it.
    Oops.
     
  8. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    news:hqkb9d$ub1$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    > Tony wrote:
    >> Don't encourage those cheapskate wankers. Ubuntu or a cunt or two put in
    >> a
    >> big warning sign use at your own risk, we can't be held responsible or
    >> any
    >> fuckups to your system.

    >
    > You've never read your Windows EULA? ALL OSes say that because they can't
    > be responsible for the stupid things computer users do.
    >


    Windows doesn't fuck up your system. That SHITTY Ubuntu does. Oops.
     
  9. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    > news:hqk7jr$3el$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >>> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >>> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>>
    >>> John B. Slocomb
    >>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

    >>
    >> Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym,
    >> I could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    >> "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.
    >> --
    >> Alias

    >
    > So fucktard, whoever wrote the articles you posted obviously knows
    > nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. You are passing
    > along ILL INFORMED OPINIONS about that SHITTY Ubuntu that the public
    > rejects as garbage. Get over it. Ubuntu has been free for years yet most
    > reject it. Oops.
    >
    >
    >


    If so many reject it, why are there so many articles about it?

    --
    Alias
     
  10. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    > news:hqkb9d$ub1$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> Tony wrote:
    >>> Don't encourage those cheapskate wankers. Ubuntu or a cunt or two put
    >>> in a
    >>> big warning sign use at your own risk, we can't be held responsible
    >>> or any
    >>> fuckups to your system.

    >>
    >> You've never read your Windows EULA? ALL OSes say that because they
    >> can't be responsible for the stupid things computer users do.
    >>

    >
    > Windows doesn't fuck up your system.


    Never heard of a BSOD, eh? Never heard of cross files, eh? Figures. Oh,
    and Microsoft says you're a liar. Read your EULA for proof.

    --
    Alias
     
  11. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    news:hqkgmc$age$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    >> news:hqk7jr$3el$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >>>> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >>>> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>>>
    >>>> John B. Slocomb
    >>>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
    >>>
    >>> Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym,
    >>> I could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    >>> "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.
    >>> --
    >>> Alias

    >>
    >> So fucktard, whoever wrote the articles you posted obviously knows
    >> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. You are passing
    >> along ILL INFORMED OPINIONS about that SHITTY Ubuntu that the public
    >> rejects as garbage. Get over it. Ubuntu has been free for years yet most
    >> reject it. Oops.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > If so many reject it, why are there so many articles about it?
    >
    > --
    > Alias


    Why are there so many articles on Charles Manson?
     
  12. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    news:hqkgos$age$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    >> news:hqkb9d$ub1$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>> Tony wrote:
    >>>> Don't encourage those cheapskate wankers. Ubuntu or a cunt or two put
    >>>> in a
    >>>> big warning sign use at your own risk, we can't be held responsible
    >>>> or any
    >>>> fuckups to your system.
    >>>
    >>> You've never read your Windows EULA? ALL OSes say that because they
    >>> can't be responsible for the stupid things computer users do.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Windows doesn't fuck up your system.

    >
    > Never heard of a BSOD, eh? Never heard of cross files, eh? Figures. Oh,
    > and Microsoft says you're a liar. Read your EULA for proof.
    >
    > --
    > Alias


    If my computer BSOD, then I update drivers. That happens on Ubuntu also.
    Take a look in the Ubuntu forums, if you need to know where they are, just
    ask. Quite a few crashes with that INFERIOR OS you love so much.
     
  13. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    > news:hqkgmc$age$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    >>> news:hqk7jr$3el$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>>> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >>>>> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >>>>> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> John B. Slocomb
    >>>>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
    >>>>
    >>>> Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >>>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym,
    >>>> I could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    >>>> "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.
    >>>> --
    >>>> Alias
    >>>
    >>> So fucktard, whoever wrote the articles you posted obviously knows
    >>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. You are passing
    >>> along ILL INFORMED OPINIONS about that SHITTY Ubuntu that the public
    >>> rejects as garbage. Get over it. Ubuntu has been free for years yet most
    >>> reject it. Oops.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> If so many reject it, why are there so many articles about it?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias

    >
    > Why are there so many articles on Charles Manson?
    >
    >
    >


    Oh, goodie, the little boy has trotted out a straw man and thinks he's
    being cute and clever.

    --
    Alias
     
  14. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    > news:hqkgos$age$2@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    >>> news:hqkb9d$ub1$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>> Tony wrote:
    >>>>> Don't encourage those cheapskate wankers. Ubuntu or a cunt or two put
    >>>>> in a
    >>>>> big warning sign use at your own risk, we can't be held responsible
    >>>>> or any
    >>>>> fuckups to your system.
    >>>>
    >>>> You've never read your Windows EULA? ALL OSes say that because they
    >>>> can't be responsible for the stupid things computer users do.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Windows doesn't fuck up your system.

    >>
    >> Never heard of a BSOD, eh? Never heard of cross files, eh? Figures.
    >> Oh, and Microsoft says you're a liar. Read your EULA for proof.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias

    >
    > If my computer BSOD, then I update drivers.


    And how would you know it's a driver at fault? Cross linked files in the
    registry? Don't know what that is? Figures.

    --
    Alias
     
  15. Bill Yanaire

    Bill Yanaire Flightless Bird

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    news:hqkijp$o8k$3@news.eternal-september.org...
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    >> news:hqkgmc$age$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    >>>> news:hqk7jr$3el$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>>>> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >>>>>> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >>>>>> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> John B. Slocomb
    >>>>>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >>>>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym,
    >>>>> I could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    >>>>> "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.
    >>>>> --
    >>>>> Alias
    >>>>
    >>>> So fucktard, whoever wrote the articles you posted obviously knows
    >>>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. You are passing
    >>>> along ILL INFORMED OPINIONS about that SHITTY Ubuntu that the public
    >>>> rejects as garbage. Get over it. Ubuntu has been free for years yet
    >>>> most
    >>>> reject it. Oops.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> If so many reject it, why are there so many articles about it?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Alias

    >>
    >> Why are there so many articles on Charles Manson?
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Oh, goodie, the little boy has trotted out a straw man and thinks he's
    > being cute and clever.
    >
    > --
    > Alias


    Not like your comparison to other products when you post? HA HA HA HA HA -
     
  16. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    > news:hqkijp$o8k$3@news.eternal-september.org...
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    >>> news:hqkgmc$age$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:hqk7jr$3el$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    >>>>>>> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >>>>>>> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >>>>>>> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> John B. Slocomb
    >>>>>>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >>>>>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my
    >>>>>> nym,
    >>>>>> I could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if
    >>>>>> it's my
    >>>>>> "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy
    >>>>>> Doody.
    >>>>>> --
    >>>>>> Alias
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So fucktard, whoever wrote the articles you posted obviously knows
    >>>>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. You are passing
    >>>>> along ILL INFORMED OPINIONS about that SHITTY Ubuntu that the public
    >>>>> rejects as garbage. Get over it. Ubuntu has been free for years yet
    >>>>> most
    >>>>> reject it. Oops.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> If so many reject it, why are there so many articles about it?
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>> Alias
    >>>
    >>> Why are there so many articles on Charles Manson?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Oh, goodie, the little boy has trotted out a straw man and thinks he's
    >> being cute and clever.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alias

    >
    > Not like your comparison to other products when you post? HA HA HA HA HA -
    >
    >
    >


    Comparing a bicycle to a fish is not a valid comparison. Get it, dumb
    fuck? I didn't think so.

    --
    Alias
     
  17. John B. Slocomb

    John B. Slocomb Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:44:41 +0200, Alias
    <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:

    >John B. Slocomb wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:02:20 +0200, Alias
    >> <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    >>> a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    >>> will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.
    >>>
    >>> What can be done with Ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>> Email
    >>> Surf the web
    >>> Burn CDs.
    >>> Rip CDs.
    >>> Listen to music.
    >>> Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    >>> Scan and print.
    >>> Spreadsheets.
    >>> Presentations
    >>> Newsgroups.
    >>> HTML editing.
    >>> Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    >>> Make videos.
    >>> Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    >>> Translations.
    >>> Use a dictionary
    >>> Learn how to touch type.
    >>> Edit images.
    >>> Send and receive a fax.
    >>> Take screenshots.
    >>> Create .PDF files.
    >>> Create and use a data base.
    >>> Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    >>> Windows Live Messenger.
    >>> IRC.
    >>> Bluetooth.
    >>>
    >>> and much more!
    >>>
    >>> What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>> Worry about:
    >>> WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    >>> DRM,
    >>> Viruses,
    >>> Root kits,
    >>> Spyware,
    >>> and
    >>> Malware.

    >>
    >>
    >> An interesting story, as told by a nonentity.
    >>
    >> Now here is what appeared in the May issue of Linux Format, reputed to
    >> have the largest circulation of any U.K. Linux magazine.
    >>
    >> From an article entitled "Clam AV, Setting up antivirus"
    >>
    >> Despite the myths Linux is far from immune to viruses. Exploits in
    >> cross-platform technologies such as Java and Flash can apply to the
    >> Linux environment just as much as they can to any other operating
    >> system...
    >>
    >> Before you write off all your previous opinions about the inerrant
    >> security of the Linux environment lets consider some numbers.
    >> Conservative estimates from various sources tend to place the number
    >> of Windows exploits several thousand orders of magnitude higher then
    >> everyone's favorite free operating system...
    >>
    >> The reason that Windows has the most vulnerabilities however is mostly
    >> down to the Microsoft market dominance...
    >>
    >> In short, that author is saying that Linux is vulnerable to attack and
    >> second that the reason there is so many attacks reported on Windows is
    >> simply because the numbers of Windows computers is vastly greater then
    >> Linux.
    >>
    >> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>
    >> John B. Slocomb
    >> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

    >
    >Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym, I
    >could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    >"real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.



    Goodness, but you do insist in displaying your ignorance, don't you? I
    gave you the name of the publication, the date of the edition, and the
    name of the article. What else do you need?

    The point is that you do use a fake name (that is how the word is
    spelled, by the way) because you apparently fear your audience, for
    some reason. As we are left to imagine what that reason could be, is
    it odd that we imagine that you do it simply because you know that
    you are mouthing lies and are ashamed of it?

    John B. Slocomb
    (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
     
  18. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    John B. Slocomb wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:44:41 +0200, Alias
    > <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >
    >> John B. Slocomb wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:02:20 +0200, Alias
    >>> <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    >>>> a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    >>>> will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    >>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.
    >>>>
    >>>> What can be done with Ubuntu:
    >>>>
    >>>> Email
    >>>> Surf the web
    >>>> Burn CDs.
    >>>> Rip CDs.
    >>>> Listen to music.
    >>>> Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    >>>> Scan and print.
    >>>> Spreadsheets.
    >>>> Presentations
    >>>> Newsgroups.
    >>>> HTML editing.
    >>>> Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    >>>> Make videos.
    >>>> Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    >>>> Translations.
    >>>> Use a dictionary
    >>>> Learn how to touch type.
    >>>> Edit images.
    >>>> Send and receive a fax.
    >>>> Take screenshots.
    >>>> Create .PDF files.
    >>>> Create and use a data base.
    >>>> Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    >>>> Windows Live Messenger.
    >>>> IRC.
    >>>> Bluetooth.
    >>>>
    >>>> and much more!
    >>>>
    >>>> What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >>>>
    >>>> Worry about:
    >>>> WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    >>>> DRM,
    >>>> Viruses,
    >>>> Root kits,
    >>>> Spyware,
    >>>> and
    >>>> Malware.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> An interesting story, as told by a nonentity.
    >>>
    >>> Now here is what appeared in the May issue of Linux Format, reputed to
    >>> have the largest circulation of any U.K. Linux magazine.
    >>>
    >>> From an article entitled "Clam AV, Setting up antivirus"
    >>>
    >>> Despite the myths Linux is far from immune to viruses. Exploits in
    >>> cross-platform technologies such as Java and Flash can apply to the
    >>> Linux environment just as much as they can to any other operating
    >>> system...
    >>>
    >>> Before you write off all your previous opinions about the inerrant
    >>> security of the Linux environment lets consider some numbers.
    >>> Conservative estimates from various sources tend to place the number
    >>> of Windows exploits several thousand orders of magnitude higher then
    >>> everyone's favorite free operating system...
    >>>
    >>> The reason that Windows has the most vulnerabilities however is mostly
    >>> down to the Microsoft market dominance...
    >>>
    >>> In short, that author is saying that Linux is vulnerable to attack and
    >>> second that the reason there is so many attacks reported on Windows is
    >>> simply because the numbers of Windows computers is vastly greater then
    >>> Linux.
    >>>
    >>> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >>> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >>> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>>
    >>> John B. Slocomb
    >>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

    >>
    >> Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym, I
    >> could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    >> "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.

    >
    >
    > Goodness, but you do insist in displaying your ignorance, don't you? I
    > gave you the name of the publication, the date of the edition, and the
    > name of the article. What else do you need?
    >
    > The point is that you do use a fake name (that is how the word is
    > spelled, by the way) because you apparently fear your audience, for
    > some reason. As we are left to imagine what that reason could be, is
    > it odd that we imagine that you do it simply because you know that
    > you are mouthing lies and are ashamed of it?
    >
    > John B. Slocomb
    > (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)


    Like I said, for all we know your real name is Howdy Doody. And, again,
    the writer of the article knows nothing about Linux architecture and
    neither do you.
    --
    Alias
     
  19. John B. Slocomb

    John B. Slocomb Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:30:37 +0200, Alias
    <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:

    >John B. Slocomb wrote:
    >> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:44:41 +0200, Alias
    >> <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >>
    >>> John B. Slocomb wrote:
    >>>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:02:20 +0200, Alias
    >>>> <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    >>>>> a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    >>>>> will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    >>>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> What can be done with Ubuntu:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Email
    >>>>> Surf the web
    >>>>> Burn CDs.
    >>>>> Rip CDs.
    >>>>> Listen to music.
    >>>>> Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    >>>>> Scan and print.
    >>>>> Spreadsheets.
    >>>>> Presentations
    >>>>> Newsgroups.
    >>>>> HTML editing.
    >>>>> Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    >>>>> Make videos.
    >>>>> Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    >>>>> Translations.
    >>>>> Use a dictionary
    >>>>> Learn how to touch type.
    >>>>> Edit images.
    >>>>> Send and receive a fax.
    >>>>> Take screenshots.
    >>>>> Create .PDF files.
    >>>>> Create and use a data base.
    >>>>> Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    >>>>> Windows Live Messenger.
    >>>>> IRC.
    >>>>> Bluetooth.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> and much more!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Worry about:
    >>>>> WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    >>>>> DRM,
    >>>>> Viruses,
    >>>>> Root kits,
    >>>>> Spyware,
    >>>>> and
    >>>>> Malware.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> An interesting story, as told by a nonentity.
    >>>>
    >>>> Now here is what appeared in the May issue of Linux Format, reputed to
    >>>> have the largest circulation of any U.K. Linux magazine.
    >>>>
    >>>> From an article entitled "Clam AV, Setting up antivirus"
    >>>>
    >>>> Despite the myths Linux is far from immune to viruses. Exploits in
    >>>> cross-platform technologies such as Java and Flash can apply to the
    >>>> Linux environment just as much as they can to any other operating
    >>>> system...
    >>>>
    >>>> Before you write off all your previous opinions about the inerrant
    >>>> security of the Linux environment lets consider some numbers.
    >>>> Conservative estimates from various sources tend to place the number
    >>>> of Windows exploits several thousand orders of magnitude higher then
    >>>> everyone's favorite free operating system...
    >>>>
    >>>> The reason that Windows has the most vulnerabilities however is mostly
    >>>> down to the Microsoft market dominance...
    >>>>
    >>>> In short, that author is saying that Linux is vulnerable to attack and
    >>>> second that the reason there is so many attacks reported on Windows is
    >>>> simply because the numbers of Windows computers is vastly greater then
    >>>> Linux.
    >>>>
    >>>> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >>>> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >>>> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>>>
    >>>> John B. Slocomb
    >>>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
    >>>
    >>> Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym, I
    >>> could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    >>> "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.

    >>
    >>
    >> Goodness, but you do insist in displaying your ignorance, don't you? I
    >> gave you the name of the publication, the date of the edition, and the
    >> name of the article. What else do you need?
    >>
    >> The point is that you do use a fake name (that is how the word is
    >> spelled, by the way) because you apparently fear your audience, for
    >> some reason. As we are left to imagine what that reason could be, is
    >> it odd that we imagine that you do it simply because you know that
    >> you are mouthing lies and are ashamed of it?
    >>
    >> John B. Slocomb
    >> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

    >
    >Like I said, for all we know your real name is Howdy Doody. And, again,
    >the writer of the article knows nothing about Linux architecture and
    >neither do you.



    Ah, Oh Unknown person, a brilliant riposte. You can't answer so you
    fall back on insults.

    Given you only have, what was it? Two years of computer experience and
    your juvenile replies it is fairly easy to see that you are in, what?
    The sixth grade? Not quite a teenager, right?

    Ah, to be young again.

    John B. Slocomb
    (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
     
  20. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    John B. Slocomb wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:30:37 +0200, Alias
    > <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >
    >> John B. Slocomb wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:44:41 +0200, Alias
    >>> <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> John B. Slocomb wrote:
    >>>>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:02:20 +0200, Alias
    >>>>> <aka@maskedandanymous.com.invalido> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> On April 29th, the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu will be released,
    >>>>>> a release that Mark Shuttleworth devoted all his time to so that Ubuntu
    >>>>>> will finally shoot Windows out of the proverbial window. Get it at
    >>>>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/ You'll be glad you did.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> What can be done with Ubuntu:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Email
    >>>>>> Surf the web
    >>>>>> Burn CDs.
    >>>>>> Rip CDs.
    >>>>>> Listen to music.
    >>>>>> Watch vidoes/DVDs.
    >>>>>> Scan and print.
    >>>>>> Spreadsheets.
    >>>>>> Presentations
    >>>>>> Newsgroups.
    >>>>>> HTML editing.
    >>>>>> Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
    >>>>>> Make videos.
    >>>>>> Download photos from a camera and organize them.
    >>>>>> Translations.
    >>>>>> Use a dictionary
    >>>>>> Learn how to touch type.
    >>>>>> Edit images.
    >>>>>> Send and receive a fax.
    >>>>>> Take screenshots.
    >>>>>> Create .PDF files.
    >>>>>> Create and use a data base.
    >>>>>> Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
    >>>>>> Windows Live Messenger.
    >>>>>> IRC.
    >>>>>> Bluetooth.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> and much more!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> What you can't do with Ubuntu:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Worry about:
    >>>>>> WPA, WGA and WAT raising their false positive ugly heads,
    >>>>>> DRM,
    >>>>>> Viruses,
    >>>>>> Root kits,
    >>>>>> Spyware,
    >>>>>> and
    >>>>>> Malware.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> An interesting story, as told by a nonentity.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Now here is what appeared in the May issue of Linux Format, reputed to
    >>>>> have the largest circulation of any U.K. Linux magazine.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> From an article entitled "Clam AV, Setting up antivirus"
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Despite the myths Linux is far from immune to viruses. Exploits in
    >>>>> cross-platform technologies such as Java and Flash can apply to the
    >>>>> Linux environment just as much as they can to any other operating
    >>>>> system...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Before you write off all your previous opinions about the inerrant
    >>>>> security of the Linux environment lets consider some numbers.
    >>>>> Conservative estimates from various sources tend to place the number
    >>>>> of Windows exploits several thousand orders of magnitude higher then
    >>>>> everyone's favorite free operating system...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The reason that Windows has the most vulnerabilities however is mostly
    >>>>> down to the Microsoft market dominance...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> In short, that author is saying that Linux is vulnerable to attack and
    >>>>> second that the reason there is so many attacks reported on Windows is
    >>>>> simply because the numbers of Windows computers is vastly greater then
    >>>>> Linux.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So there you have it. the words of a prominent Linux publication and
    >>>>> opposing it, the words of an unknown individual who hides behind a
    >>>>> ridiculous nickname in order to hide his identity.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> John B. Slocomb
    >>>>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
    >>>>
    >>>> Whoever wrote the article you didn't give a link to obviously knows
    >>>> nothing about Linux architecture and neither do you. Regarding my nym, I
    >>>> could change it to *anything* and you still wouldn't know if it's my
    >>>> "real identity". For all we know, your "real identity" is Howdy Doody.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Goodness, but you do insist in displaying your ignorance, don't you? I
    >>> gave you the name of the publication, the date of the edition, and the
    >>> name of the article. What else do you need?
    >>>
    >>> The point is that you do use a fake name (that is how the word is
    >>> spelled, by the way) because you apparently fear your audience, for
    >>> some reason. As we are left to imagine what that reason could be, is
    >>> it odd that we imagine that you do it simply because you know that
    >>> you are mouthing lies and are ashamed of it?
    >>>
    >>> John B. Slocomb
    >>> (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

    >>
    >> Like I said, for all we know your real name is Howdy Doody. And, again,
    >> the writer of the article knows nothing about Linux architecture and
    >> neither do you.

    >
    >
    > Ah, Oh Unknown person, a brilliant riposte. You can't answer so you
    > fall back on insults.


    What part of your real name could be Howdy Doody is it that you don't
    understand?

    What insults? Oh, yeah, these:

    >
    > Given you only have, what was it? Two years of computer experience and
    > your juvenile replies it is fairly easy to see that you are in, what?
    > The sixth grade? Not quite a teenager, right?
    >
    > Ah, to be young again.
    >
    > John B. Slocomb
    > johnbslocomb@gmail.com


    I'm probably older than you are.

    --
    Alias
     

Share This Page