• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Obama: Give me more power

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
As if we haven't had enough presidents trying to control the republic - Obama is giving speeches suggesting he wants even more power.

The idea of a smaller government was actually in last year's State of the Union address but now he's giving specifics.

Folding the Small Business Administration and five other agencies involved in trade and business, into a single agency that would replace the Commerce Department.

Skeptics are suggesting this is just a campaign maneuver. Other opponents recognize thousands of jobs will be lost. Others understand this is a power grab.

Here is another idea: It's government growth because a new cabinet position will be created and filled by Karen Mills.

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
And thus another step away from a free market toward central planning, including of the economy? I think I read this story in accounts of Germany and Italy in the 20th century. Yes?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
And thus another step away from a free market toward central planning, including of the economy? I think I read this story in accounts of Germany and Italy in the 20th century. Yes?

No. Nixon, Reagan, Bush, and many others attempted power grabs in the past too. Recently - under Bush W - the Congress abdicated their power - by not declaring war or no war against Afghanistan and Iraq. The 1973 Wars Power Resolution was an attempt to straighten out some of the mess created by these power grabs but politicians are weak without the money people telling them how to vote.

The hidden issue is the statements that government will be smaller when actually a cabinet position is created. When was the last time a cabinet position was removed?

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
I'd add Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson to your list. I think Obama's speech was a trial balloon window dressing to try to capture the GOP rhetoric and use it for the Dem's election run.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I'd add Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson to your list. I think Obama's speech was a trial balloon window dressing to try to capture the GOP rhetoric and use it for the Dem's election run.

Agreed. Maybe FDR's attempt to pack the courts but failed is a good comparison.