• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Noon Confusion

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I love reading something which immediately pops up questions. For example, take a look at this image of the store hours of the Lancaster Carpeteria.

Screen Shot 2013-06-09 at 8.31.49 AM.png

Is the store really open at 12:00 am ? No, they meant 12:00 pm (12 noon) but this image brings to light the confusion between 12 am and 12 pm. In fact, getting 12:00 am and 12:00 pm confused is easy because we start the day at 12:00 am then return to 1:00 am. Who thought that mess up?

We might start to blame Egyptians for this whole 12 hour division nonsense but the British expanded the use of the silly idea as they conquered nation after nation to build their empire. More important, we should not blame the Romans because they counted backwards on their clocks. Yep - look it up - 3 am meant three hours before noon. :nailbiting:

Therefore, I'll blame my own ignorance and always make sure that I state 12 noon or 12 midnight. Forget the mess.