• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Op Ed No. The tech industry does not want comically frenzied coverage

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
While reading Gawker's piece about PandoDaily, the following struck me as rather full of it.

The tech industry wants comically frenzied coverage of its products and features and deals, and credulous, faux-needling coverage of its leaders, not unsanctioned stories about privacy breaches, violence cover-ups, palace coups, or messy affairs. Deeply integrated journalists are much more likely to keep their coverage within those bounds.

Nonsense. While this style of tech coverage has grown over the last decade because wild headlines can garner eyeballs - I doubt the tech industry (personified as it is ...) does not want to be comical. In fact, many members of the tech industry are very serious about themselves.

This nonsense stems from the tiresome slamming and flaming attitudes that some anti-socialites trap themselves. Worse, some of this attitude is considered cute rather than immature. And some fools think the piss poor attitude is entertainment.

Consider the following examples:

Commenter #1: I love Mitt Romney
Commenter #2: Your an idiot

This reply style (ad hominem attacks) is not only common but is ironic because the reply contains a grammar error (You're versus Your) which many would consider shows the commenter #2 is uneducated. While the first comment is simply an opinion, the reply exposes the second person to ridicule. Or does it? Probably not.

Neither comment, though, contributes to anyone's knowledge. This is why the above quote is nonsense; there is an assumption that people are looking for entertainment rather than knowledge.

Actually, there is a need for hardcore tech journalism and not sensationalized press releases but will tech industry insiders appreciate that style or ridicule it?

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Let's have more hardcore journalism, and not just about technical industries! Please, just the facts. Keep opinions to editorial and debate pages, as in TuxReportsDebates.com.

Having spent the last 16 years among some of the most advanced techees in industries, I know they seek and can produce hardcore traditional tech journalism. They also know how to create their own entertainment when they want it.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Let's have more hardcore journalism, and not just about technical industries! Please, just the facts. Keep opinions to editorial and debate pages, as in TuxReportsDebates.com.

Having spent the last 16 years among some of the most advanced techees in industries, I know they seek and can produce hardcore traditional tech journalism. They also know how to create their own entertainment when they want it.

Did you catch the irony?